Wasnt greener on the "other side"was it !

26 minutes ago, xylophone said:

Well I'm not going to offer the same old tried and tested excuse, "I came for the temples and the culture" however I didn't really come for the women, but came here to get away from the commercial rat race I was in, and to help cure a precancerous condition in my throat, mainly caused by stress and reflux.

The idea that I could spend the rest of my life in a warm country without ever having to work again was very tempting, and of course I enjoyed the nightlife when I was a young man, so I did jump back into that eventually, this after spending five years living with a lovely lady and her daughter – – but that's another story.

You make a good point about how the OP's friend chooses to live, because it's completely in his hands as to what sort of life he lives and what sort of apartment he lives in, or indeed as you quite rightly said, that he could rent a house out in the burbs for very little money.

I suspect the main reason is that he is not comfortable with his own company, and I know many guys who are like this, many who have to have a woman in their lives, no matter what, because they are incapable of living on their own, anything from not being able to prepare a meal, or to hating being on their own, comes to mind.

The problem is they would be like this wherever they went if they didn't change their ways, or if they were of that particular ilk.

Luckily enough I prefer my own company and can always find something to interest me, and if the long stay indoors gives me "cabin fever", I just jump in the car and go for a drive, or pop down to the local supermarket on my motorbike, and of course I do have a few chosen friends whom I liaise with from time to time, but they are not a necessary part of my life.

There are people who will be unhappy no matter where they go, and the subject in question could be one of those?

I knew a guy who could barely could a steak. Needed a woman. Know another who cant mow a lawn. 

I dont get why guys retire to Pattaya. Its a holiday spot. Go rent a house in Chiang Mai or Nong Khai. Have a garden. Find a gf. Get a motorbike.

• Confused 1

5 minutes ago, Sparktrader said:

I knew a guy who could barely could a steak. Needed a woman.

A guy I know here has been married six times, and is now living with seventh "would-be" wife, if she could get a divorce from the Italian guy she married a few years back, but that seems impossible to do at the moment, so wife number seven will have to wait.

He is all but useless around the house, and I remember him telling me that he was going to cook a curry one night, with the cook-in curry sauce he had bought, and when I asked how it went, he said it was a bit sweet?? Turns out that he had added mango chutney in the cooking of it, this because he knew no better!

He also needs someone to moan/shout at on a regular basis, and it's often embarrassing when he has a go at his very lovely and fairly timid girlfriend, for nothing in particular.

He is completely lost when on his own.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, xylophone said:

A guy I know here has been married six times, and is now living with seventh "would-be" wife, if she could get a divorce from the Italian guy she married a few years back, but that seems impossible to do at the moment, so wife number seven will have to wait.

He is all but useless around the house, and I remember him telling me that he was going to cook a curry one night, with the cook-in curry sauce he had bought, and when I asked how it went, he said it was a bit sweet?? Turns out that he had added mango chutney in the cooking of it, this because he knew no better!

He also needs someone to moan/shout at on a regular basis, and it's often embarrassing when he has a go at his very lovely and fairly timid girlfriend, for nothing in particular.

He is completely lost when on his own.

Sounds like the Brit I know. Cant cook then whines at her for nothing. 

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, xylophone said:

There are people who will be unhappy no matter where they go, and the subject in question could be one of those?

I think this is not the case, the subject matter was clearly enjoying a friendly atmosphere at work, probably felt worthwhile for his contribution, including the pot plants. Happy in his routine.

Transition it appears was going well until the lady assisting the 'bridging' left him to fend for himself at a bad time.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, 473geo said:

I think this is not the case, the subject matter was clearly enjoying a friendly atmosphere at work, probably felt worthwhile for his contribution, including the pot plants. Happy in his routine.

Transition it appears was going well until the lady assisting the 'bridging' left him to fend for himself at a bad time.

Find another gf. 10m of them in Thailand!!!

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, 473geo said:

They're not exactly hard to replace.

Longest I've managed to live alone in Thailand was 2 weeks.

Shortest time between women was 1 night.

......... and I'm not exactly god's gift ............

Edited by BritManToo
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

They're not exactly had to replace.

Exactly. I could get 3 in a week. In west hard to find 1 in months.unless ugly.

Find a massage girl. Normal massage. Ask her out.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

They're not exactly hard to replace.

My point was in response to the post, he was happy in his work and his previous life. So not a guy who will be unhappy anywhere.

Perhaps he has found whoring is not his thing and was thrown out of sync with the departure of his long term companion. Who knows?

3 hours ago, Fat is a type of crazy said:

Not sure how Australian manhood  is threatened as compared to other countries. Yes there's political correctness here and there but most Australians are down to earth. Women do have all the rights they should have and if they don't want to be like Thai women it's up to them - they don't threaten my right to be who I want to be. I wouldn't let them. 

I can't see how Thailand at it's worst, i.e. corruption, pollution, tiresome heat etc, is better than Australia at it's best i.e. beautiful beaches and wilderness, the best weather though a bit cold in the south in winter, and free and fair elections and press.  

It is a bit expensive but for the average person much better - I'd rather live off the minimum Australian wage or the dole in Australia than the pittance paid to many in Thailand. 

A lot is made of our response to Covid, and I can see that it can be seem as a bit extreme and tough for some businesses, but I just say if you can keep the numbers super low, and the government can support it's people, that's not a bad outcome.  

I like Thailand and Australia. Each to their own though. 

Yeh a great Government to cheap to go out and buy vaccines  to protect their citzens and hope that by closing the borders it won't get into the country.  Name me another country in the world that restricts their citizens from going overseas or forbids them coming back. Guess since AUS was settled by prisoners you are ok with that <deleted>.  Seems to me they could take precautions with letting those citizens back in who went abroad but  should be no reason to keep them from leaving. Prison Island.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Tony125 said:

Yeh a great Government to cheap to go out and buy vaccines  to protect their citzens and hope that by closing the borders it won't get into the country.  Name me another country in the world that restricts their citizens from going overseas or forbids them coming back. Guess since AUS was settled by prisoners you are ok with that <deleted>.  Seems to me they could take precautions with letting those citizens back in who went abroad but  should be no reason to keep them from leaving. Prison Island.

They did buy the rights to make Astrozeneca but that wasn't popular. They backed the wrong horse a bit. Though it's risks seem to be exaggerated. They definitely should have moved faster to get others but it's understandable they didn't buy millions of everything at first just in case. 

I think the rules about leaving Australia are a bit exaggerated too. If you have a good reason you can go. Just have to apply and show you won't come back in a short period and have to be put in quarantine.   

Definitely far from perfect on Covid but not sure Thailand is a shining light in comparison.

19 hours ago, JayClay said:

And what particular homework exercise do you suggest he could have engaged in to help him foresee a global pandemic and the entire shutdown of life as we know it.

There are so many posts in this thread treating this as a typical "found out partying every day through retirement wasn't all it's cracked up to be" situation. I suspect some posters have been typing the same responses in threads for so many years that they probably have some muscle memory kicking in and making them write it before engaging their brains.

This poor guy hasn't had the chance to become disillusioned by marrying bar girls, losing his lot, building up again and looping round a few times doing it all over again.

We have no way of telling if his life would have followed that path or not. He may have spent a few months doing the bar thing the moved on to other interests. But even if he would have done the bar loop, that's more preferable to being stuck in a city that's locked down where you know nobody and have no opportunity to make new friends. At least there'd have been things happening in his life.

Being in a similar boat, having moved to Pattaya in April, leaving friends behind in Bangkok, and suffering the lonliness as a consequence (and yes... I am usually happy with my own company but there's a limit!) I have every sympathy for the poor guy in the OP's story.

Perhaps visiting places other than Pattaya would have been a start and for the record it’s the first time in about ten years I have posted on the subject.

I will immediately stand in the naughty boys corner for daring to post a contrary view.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, JayClay said:

And that would have prevented his current situation... how?

If he'd been living in a nice little house with a garden out front, all the local single women (and the single relatives of the local married women) would have noticed and hunted him down. Whenever one of my pals became available, my misses would mention it to her friends, and there would be a queue of women knocking on our door asking for an introduction. Some of them were really young, slim and attractive.

Living in a condo is a bit soulless and anonymous, you can easily become invisible. 

22 hours ago, BritManToo said:

Living in a condo is a bit soulless and anonymous, you can easily become invisible. 

Life under technology is IMO making us all invisible.

I can go to town, park in a pay park ( use a machine to pay ) go to the bank ( use a machine ) go to the supermarket ( use self service check out ) go to movies ( ticket from a machine ) and return home without speaking to another human being. The mental damage being inflicted on young people by such is going to have terrible consequences, IMO. After all, many have been stuck at home and schooling via a machine.

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

I can go to town, park in a pay park ( use a machine to pay ) go to the bank ( use a machine ) go to the supermarket ( use self service check out ) go to movies ( ticket from a machine ) and return home without speaking to another human being. The mental damage being inflicted on young people by such is going to have terrible consequences, IMO. After all, many have been stuck at home and schooling via a machine.

We can talk to you 0n here!

34 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Not me, I ain't part of the 'us' you describe,

I can go to town and park my motorcycle almost anywhere there is enough space to squeeze it in. No charge ........ Thailand, land of the free m/c parking.

My 10 year old son (no school) never stops talking at me, sometimes I wish for a bit of peace and quiet.

Edited by BritManToo