Food shortages?

habuspasha

On 8/13/2021 at 4:01 PM, Peterphuket said:

I believe there is a shortage in some products, for example Yakult is not available anymore.

They told me the factory is closed because covid infections.

It would explain why people are selling packs of it (20 ea.) at traffic lights here (Rayong) now.

On 8/13/2021 at 7:18 AM, tonray said:

My GF is a manager for Tops market, she said it's not really supply shortages, although there are some bottlenecks, but rather hoarding, people are loading up carts with 2 or 3 weeks food, especially staples like noodles, etc and meats that they can freeze for later use. They are working 7 days a week stocking shelves just to keep up.

100% this. Same for 7/11 shortages. Just a supply chain issue as some people buy more of certain products than they would normally do and it takes the supply chain a bit of time to adjust to this. I noticed 7/11 are nearly back to normal now.

• Like 1

Definitely seeing shortages of food items (mostly imported) at the 3 main supermarkets I use which are Big C, Villa Market, and Tops.

We have a rice shop in the Bangkok area and even some of our orders are not being fulfilled as the distributors are rationing how many sacks of certain brands customers can have. They say that it is due to trucks carrying stock into Bangkok from certain areas are being prevented from entering and get turned back.

The local market is also reporting similar news on some of their items such as fresh pork which is apparent in the small (but significant) price rises in some products.

On 8/13/2021 at 3:49 PM, MrJ2U said:

I try and get there early and horde everything.

So YOU are the reason we can't get what we want!

My missus does the same, and it's usually canned <deleted> we don't eat,"just in case"

I'm sure we've still got some cans from the fake SARS scare.

Edited by LongTimeLurker
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, LongTimeLurker said:

So YOU are the reason we can't get what we want!

My missus does the same, and it's usually canned <deleted> we don't eat,"just in case"

I'm sure we've still got some cans from the fake SARS scare.

I'm still trying to get through the Tuna  cans we got just as the pandemic started before they expire.

Good thing I like Tuna sandwiches, but there's a limit to everything.

Stay safe!

• Haha 1

19 hours ago, LongTimeLurker said:

Dutch Mill milk has dissapeared.

Wondering which part of the country you are in as we are experiencing the same for my usual milk brand (definitely creamier). Cannot comment on the other items as they are not on my usual shopping list.

By the way, I'm in Romkloa area, Bangkok.

20 hours ago, narisarasgroove said:

Wondering which part of the country you are in as we are experiencing the same for my usual milk brand (definitely creamier). Cannot comment on the other items as they are not on my usual shopping list.

By the way, I'm in Romkloa area, Bangkok.

I'm in Pattaya.

• Thanks 1

On 8/14/2021 at 8:13 AM, brianthainess said:

There has been reports of egg producers hoarding so as to price gouge.

one of the office staff here, her family own chicken farms.... plenty of eggs to be had.. she brings a loaded pickup in every Monday.

80b for a tray of fresh eggs (some still have poop on em).... love my omelettes and quiches !!

4 hours ago, Mutt Daeng said:

The 7-11 near me has run out of red caviar again. What's the world coming to?

for the second day in a row my local 7 has had no ready made pork fried rice that I buy to heat up at work for breakfast.... Sausage mcmuffin and has brown instead !!

• Like 1

On 8/24/2021 at 9:09 PM, LongTimeLurker said:

Dutch Mill milk has dissapeared.

No 2 liter bottle of Meji at Makro and a 7/11 yesterday.

Bought one the few small bottles remaining.

On the other hand: plenty of eggs at Makro yesterday. During this month more than once not a single carton left.

5 hours ago, KhunBENQ said:

No 2 liter bottle of Meji at Makro and a 7/11 yesterday.

Bought one the few small bottles remaining.

On the other hand: plenty of eggs at Makro yesterday. During this month more than once not a single carton left.

Lots of Meiji at the sevens around me (0.83 litre bottles) but I don't like it, much prefer Dutch Mill.

A new one, Chokchai, has appeared, but it's a bit waterey.

18 minutes ago, LongTimeLurker said:

Lots of Meiji at the sevens around me (0.83 litre bottles) but I don't like it, much prefer Dutch Mill.

A new one, Chokchai, has appeared, but it's a bit waterey.

Agree. Dutch is the only one that tastes like real milk. Even the cat agrees. 

711 here also short on milk, which makes me wonder....most Thais I know don't drink milk. But it's cleaned up in a day.

A cultural change maybe ?

On 8/13/2021 at 1:05 AM, habuspasha said:

My GF says her local Tesco in Nakhon Pathom was out of noodles.  And rice was low.  Is this an isolated occurrence?  We saw pictures of empty shelves a few weeks ago.  And I understand some medicines like Tylenol are unattainable.  What is your experience?

No noodle shortage, no rice shortage, plenty of Tylenol around.   There are some problems with delivery of some goods in the usual timely fashion but there is not a food shortage and it is irresponsible of you to post a misleading thread with that title.

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, Liverpool Lou said:

No noodle shortage, no rice shortage, plenty of Tylenol around.   There are some problems with delivery of some goods in the usual timely fashion but there is not a food shortage and it is irresponsible of you to post a misleading thread with that title.

How is it an irresponsible and  misleading headline when when it was a question?   Let's be fair.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, josephbloggs said:
15 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

How is it an irresponsible and  misleading headline when when it was a question?   Let's be fair.

Yes, let's be fair, it is a suggestion in large, bold font, as a heading, that is false.  Thar's how it is irresponsible and misleading.

7 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Yes, let's be fair, it is a suggestion in large, bold font, as a heading, that is false.  Thar's how it is irresponsible and misleading.

I did not choose the font or enlarge or bold it, and I was asking a question, prompted by a genuine concern based on published images of empty shelves and my GF's experiences.  I posted the locality of her experiences and asked if it was more widespread.  I found out that there was hoarding and transport delays due to covid, but no worrying widespread shortages.  That's good news.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

A poster does not chose the font of a subject heading, the forum software does that and all subject headings are the same.  How is a post asking - genuinely - if there are food shortages irresponsible?  I don't get it.  "Food Shortages?" was the title, reasonable, he wasn't creating hysteria.  How can you not see that?

If you're in doubt read the actual post:

"My GF says her local Tesco in Nakhon Pathom was out of noodles.  And rice was low.  Is this an isolated occurrence?  We saw pictures of empty shelves a few weeks ago.  And I understand some medicines like Tylenol are unattainable.  What is your experience?"

Yeah, irresponsible and misleading to ask people what their experience is.  The OP made absolutely zero assumptions or claims, it was a post asking people what they had experienced.  You mustn't have much to do if that is causing a bee in your bonnet.

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, josephbloggs said:

A poster does not chose the font of a subject heading, the forum software does that and all subject headings are the same.  How is a post asking - genuinely - if there are food shortages irresponsible?  I don't get it.  "Food Shortages?" was the title, reasonable, he wasn't creating hysteria.  How can you not see that?

If you're in doubt read the actual post:

"My GF says her local Tesco in Nakhon Pathom was out of noodles.  And rice was low.  Is this an isolated occurrence?  We saw pictures of empty shelves a few weeks ago.  And I understand some medicines like Tylenol are unattainable.  What is your experience?"

Yeah, irresponsible and misleading to ask people what their experience is.  The OP made absolutely zero assumptions or claims, it was a post asking people what they had experienced.  You mustn't have much to do if that is causing a bee in your bonnet.

Reading the title in context with the rest of his post it is clear that he was suggesting that there are shortages.  He stated that rice supplies were low, and that some medicines are unattainable, those are two specific claims.  If you're in doubt read the post again.

You mustn't have much to do if your responding to my comment and suggesting that I've got nothing much to do is causing a bee in your bonnet.

1 hour ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Reading the title in context with the rest of his post it is clear that he was suggesting that there are shortages.  He stated that rice supplies were low, and that some medicines are unattainable, those are two specific claims.  If you're in doubt read the post again.

The specific claims are based on his and his girlfriend's observations. Other posters have confirmed seeing some shortages as well at various times in various stores. I have also seen it and I appreciate having more information about it. You're going too far calling this irresponsible. There was no intention to cause panic, scream doomsday, or cry that the sky is falling. 

Edited by ColeBOzbourne
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, ColeBOzbourne said:

The specific claims are based on his and his girlfriend's observations. Other posters have confirmed seeing some shortages as well at various times in various stores.

All confirmed as logistics/delivery issues, not food shortages, there are no food shortages of any significance in Thailand.