Thailand’s slow procurement of jabs and revival of ‘vaccine diplomacy’

Jonathan Fairfield

30 minutes ago, mfd101 said:

This is on top of the 40 million Oz already has in-country.  The new arrivals are planned to go to 20-39-year-olds.

Wonder what they did with the original order of 80 million AZ doses, they could sell the balance off to Thailand and other countries.....lol

• Like 1

Last night, just before I completed watching the 322nd sheep jump over the fence, my Thai wife tapped me on the shoulder and asked me a question about this forum. 

"If the US government has earmarked a certain percentage of the 1.5 million doses of the Pfizer vaccine, why hasn't anyone started a petition to get the benefactors to pressure the recipients to come clean on their commitment to sharing the vaccine with the foreign residents of Thailand?"

I had no answer. Do any of you?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, b17 said:

Last night, just before I completed watching the 322nd sheep jump over the fence, my Thai wife tapped me on the shoulder and asked me a question about this forum. 

"If the US government has earmarked a certain percentage of the 1.5 million doses of the Pfizer vaccine, why hasn't anyone started a petition to get the benefactors to pressure the recipients to come clean on their commitment to sharing the vaccine with the foreign residents of Thailand?"

There is already a related thread.

• Haha 1

29 minutes ago, b17 said:

I think most get it,  but I have never met and I doubt any Thai women would word a question like that.

• Confused 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, bkk6060 said:

I think most get it,  but I have never met and I doubt any Thai women would word a question like that.

I paraphrased what she said, which was "why don't farangs write a petition to the US embassy about not receiving the promised doses of Pfizer?". Can you assist me in answering that question, assuming that it is of greater importance than my wife's grammatical abilities?

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Haha 1

According to the TDRI, Indonesia, Malaysia, Philippines, Singapore, Israel and Brazil all achieved their procurement targets by using a variety of channels, and not relying on a single government-appointed vaccine committee as in Thailand’s case.

How many of these countries manufacture a vaccine too?

2 hours ago, mfd101 said:

Yes, different countries, different effectiveness ...

Oz has just announced that 1 million Pfizer shots are arriving tonight from ... you guessed it (ha ha) Poland!

Not sure how long ago they were ordered but Poland would not have been on top of the list for Oz, so they've clearly been working their way down.

This is on top of the 40 million Oz already has in-country.  The new arrivals are planned to go to 20-39-year-olds.

Where there's a will ... but not in Thailand. At least, not where it's needed.

That country is a joke, and makes Thailand look wonderful. 

My sister lives in Melbourne but is currently stranded in the UK, despite being an Oz citizen, they won't let her back as in lockdown. Amazingly, no one has died of Covid this year!!! 

34 minutes ago, b17 said:

That is an excellent idea. Hope that a few million other foreigners living here do the same thing

Especially if any are voting US citizens from Senator Duckworth's state of Illinois. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Misty said:

The only people saying some vaccines were set aside for foreigners were Thai officials.  The official US position has always been that the US vaccine donations have no strings attached.  I've not seen any statement from the US embassy here or elsewhere suggesting anything different.

Whether or not there was some "winking and nodding" at high levels that suggested differently, I wouldn't know.

yup