Tinted windows, I know nothing, please help

Keith5588

Two days ago I visited two main car dealers in Khon Kaen, Honda and Toyota.

I looked at the new Honda Hatchback and the Toyota Yaris.

Both places offered me free tinted windows.

I am starting from scratch, I do not understand at all what the free tint will give me.

I have read that good tint protects against the harmful UV rays of the sun without being too dark which to me sounds very good.

I have always had an old car in the UK and so never visited a car showroom before and never thought about tinted windows because it is not necessary in the UK.

At the Honda showroom.

The car windows looked clearer than most cars you see driving about on Thailand roads but I thought they did look a bit tinted but I was not sure.

I asked the question “If I do not want the tint added do the windows come as this showroom car?” 

The answer was “Yes”.

I asked “So do these windows give protection against the harmful UV rays of the sun?”

The answer was “Yes they give protection against the sun”

I asked “So would tinted windows give more protection against the sun?”

The answer was “Yes”

At the Toyota showroom.

I thought the showroom car windows were very clear, no tint.

I asked the same questions and was told that the showroom car windows would give no UV protection against the sun.

Basically I have no experience concerning tinted windows.   Can I please ask:-

1. Does a basic car in Thailand without the free tint windows give any protection against the sun?

2. Should I say Yes to the free tinted windows?

3. What would be done? Do they stick dark plastic sheet on the windows?

Thanks 

Keith

I've always asked for the "darkest legal" but with the heat/UV blocking type they are pretty clear anyway.

When we test drove the Mu-X it had tint which was "just right", so picked the same.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

One benefit of tinted glass is to reduce the amount of visible light that penetrates the glass, thus reducing eye-strain when driving in bright environments. The downside is that heavily tinted windows can make it harder to see a night, especially for older drivers. It also makes it more difficult to see into the car from outside, providing some privacy.

Plain glass filters out UVB rays, but will let most UVA through. UVA can damage the car's interior and also skin. Window tints can filter out UVA, so there is a benefit from tinting beyond just the reduced eye-strain and privacy. They may also reduce solar heat gain, although cars left in the sun get pretty hot no matter what.

A thin plastic coating is applied to the inside of the windows to tint them. Check to make sure it filters UVA, then get the level of tint that you prefer. It can range from minimal to the legal maximum (or more!).

• Like 2

Was at Clark PI in Oct 1987 when 4 were murdered (shot in cars) and installed dark film to help prevent being a target - although having a government plate kind of said who we were - at least they could not see or take aim.  I was not elderly at that time but can say driving at night was almost impossible.   I would go with light film except for front window top (there is a reason truck drivers like hoods).  Dark film on sides makes it almost impossible to back up.

• Like 1

Thank you all so much, I now have more understanding.

The car sales ladies were not good.

I am 68 years old, healthy and eyesight good, but I do not like riding or driving at night.

So after reading all your helpful posts I would definitely have a very minimum tint on the windscreen, and probably minimum tint on all other windows as well. 

I think Safety before any unnecessary privacy (in my case).

I am a bit confused?

Bbko post states 70% is not dark tint   5% is very dark

G Rex post states 60% is dark tint 20% not so dark.

I did understand what they were saying and both very helpful but they cannot both be correct?

1 hour ago, Keith5588 said:

I am a bit confused?

I did understand what they were saying and both very helpful but they cannot both be correct?

https://www.windowtintinginlv.com/percentages-of-window-tint.html

You can see the difference in the Porsche windows by clicking on the tint number below the car

• Like 1

I got 60% all the way around and had real issues seeing the road in front of me at night. I was about to have the windscreen tint pulled off when the guy at the shop adjusted my headlights (Nissan Kicks) which helped a lot. I'm still not thrilled but then again, I don't drive a lot at night. 

Driving on rural highways with no street lamps solangs and motorbikes with no lights on is my biggest worry. I may still have the windscreen re-tinted at like 30%. I *do* think my car is a lot cooler with tinting. 

• Like 1

I was offered Free tinted windows also.

Tinting windows are cheap in Thailand go for something else.

Big problem with the tinting job they gave me was it was so dark I could barely see out at night while driving.

I thought something was wrong with my headlights for months!

I finally brought it into a big city dealership and he said, "thats some really dark tinting".

They redid it with lighter tinting.  I could finally see better at night.

I honestly still think its to dark though.

Good luck.

• Like 2

If you get the dealer tint they will will mostly want to tint the windscreen , a lot of good comments here regarding night vision.My wife wanted 60 all round and I compramised on 50 with 40 on the windscreen which I wasn't to pleased about not wanting any tint on the screen, another problem they can put the cheap tint on which has the tint logos imprinted on the tint ,annoying if its right in your line of sight on the screen , We got free tint from Honda which lasted 3 years before it faded to clear , you don't notice it happening but if you roll down the window just enough to see a thin black line around the glass where it fits into the felt, I put 3M tint on after the dealer <deleted> faded for around 3k including removal of the old stuff with no logos  and came with a 5 year warranty 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, wozza said:

If you get the dealer tint they will will mostly want to tint the windscreen , a lot of good comments here regarding night vision.My wife wanted 60 all round and I compramised on 50 with 40 on the windscreen which I wasn't to pleased about not wanting any tint on the screen, another problem they can put the cheap tint on which has the tint logos imprinted on the tint ,annoying if its right in your line of sight on the screen , We got free tint from Honda which lasted 3 years before it faded to clear , you don't notice it happening but if you roll down the window just enough to see a thin black line around the glass where it fits into the felt, I put 3M tint on after the dealer <deleted> faded for around 3k including removal of the old stuff with no logos  and came with a 5 year warranty 

This logo normaly can be removed with some alcohol. Actually on every new car the film hat this prints on. I told the dealer to remove the name and logos of the film. No problem at all... even 1 times they forget 2 to remove 2 prints... told them and about 5 minutes later they were removed.

• Like 1

Sorry if this is slightly off-topic but those labels you're referring to -- are they on an exterior film? I noticed a black spot near bottom center of my windscreen. I can feel it with my finger but was afraid to start picking at it just in case the thing got bigger and next thing starts to blow off while I'm driving. After a couple of washings it didn't budge or diminish. 

3 hours ago, Keith5588 said:

Thank you all so much, I now have more understanding.

The car sales ladies were not good.

I am 68 years old, healthy and eyesight good, but I do not like riding or driving at night.

So after reading all your helpful posts I would definitely have a very minimum tint on the windscreen, and probably minimum tint on all other windows as well. 

I think Safety before any unnecessary privacy (in my case).

I am a bit confused?

Some tint companies measure the tint % differently - either %blocking or %transmission of light. 

You can ask to see what they have available as they will have a catalogue.

You can have the rear passenger windows and rear window darker, and the front windows and windscreen lighter. 

Definitely be careful with the windcreeen no more than 30-40% blocking light should be ok.

If you rarely drive at night it should not be a problem to have 40% on the windscreen. 

The city turbo is good car by all accounts, so I think you will enjoy it. 

• Like 1

Be careful with the "I don't drive much at night, so I'll get a dark tint" thinking, you never know if/when a nighttime emergency may occur and now you're driving at night under stress, add the high possibility of rain and you may find yourself in a accident.

• Like 2

My advise.  Don't listen to those saying don't tint the windows.  It helps a lot.

40% for the windshield and 60% for the sides/rear will give you decent tinting and is light enough to see good at night too.  This is what I have been told is the legal limit.  But many go darker than that.  Police don't care/do any thing about it.

60%/80% is great for the day time.  But makes it dangerous at night.

I wish there was a photochromic film available from the dealers.  I did find some on lazada.

Edited by rwill
  • Like 2