Tinted windows, I know nothing, please help

Keith5588

9 hours ago, Keith5588 said:

I could have just agreed to the tint and I know I would be very disappointed if it makes visibility worse. I feel that safety is so much more important than increased privacy.

Thank you all so much.

The all round tint you get with new cars not usually dark and front is not as dark as the sides, the silver one I have found to be best and does not reduce vision at night.

The only extra dark screening I have had done is along the top of the front windscreen because the sun visors when down do not shield the sun all the way across.

• Like 1

I have three vehicles the standard tint is what you call 60/40 the dealer will know exactly what you are asking.  the front and driver/passenger windows are 40%  if you park the vehicles for long period in the sun nothing is available in my opinion that will keep the temperature down. Make sure the dealers throw in the front driver passenger window guards they are cheap but they also help with the sun as small as they are and cheap.

• Like 1

I bought an old toyota wagon to camp in and save money for LOS I put limo tint on it aka superdark

Cops like to hassle me in the states....... does get a bit tricky driving at night! lol

Anyhoo is great for privacy and sleeping in as folks outside my car have no idea Im watching them

I assume the thais get the tint so can play candy crush and take selfies as they drive! ????

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, thailand49 said:

I have three vehicles the standard tint is what you call 60/40 the dealer will know exactly what you are asking.  the front and driver/passenger windows are 40%  if you park the vehicles for long period in the sun nothing is available in my opinion that will keep the temperature down. Make sure the dealers throw in the front driver passenger window guards they are cheap but they also help with the sun as small as they are and cheap.

@thailand49 I'm not sure I know what you mean by window guards. Awnings were mentioned and when I asked what they were I was told they fit just above the windows to stop rain coming in. I guess that they also help block the sun. Is that what you were referring too? I have attached a photo

20210819_085835.jpg

6 minutes ago, Keith5588 said:

@thailand49 I'm not sure I know what you mean by window guards. Awnings were mentioned and when I asked what they were I was told they fit just above the windows to stop rain coming in. I guess that they also help block the sun. Is that what you were referring too? I have attached a photo

4FS - hot in the car when you return. turn on the aircon

hk.jpg

Edited by canthai55
  • Like 1

If you want the CIA/FBI Look go for 80%, then you see nothing nightime. If you want average tint then go for 40% all round. However, better not to get free film from car company, they only put cheap rubbish on your windows. Better to go to good auto shop and have quality 3M film that has heat reflective  qualities installed.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, DUNROAMIN said:

If you want the CIA/FBI Look go for 80%, then you see nothing nightime. If you want average tint then go for 40% all round. However, better not to get free film from car company, they only put cheap rubbish on your windows. Better to go to good auto shop and have quality 3M film that has heat reflective  qualities installed.

My new Isuzu truck came with 3M film which was one of the things they listed you will get free along with the sales chat. ????

• Like 1

My missus put 60% on the sides and back and to my shock 30% on the front but it turned out to be ok, actually with UV protection a lot better. Being light skinned clear windows allow the sun to burn my arms if driving on long trips, this has not happened with the tint on my last 2 cars over 15 years. The only thing I would recommend is try to find a reputable shop to do it, most new car dealers will have one. It is more expensive but worth it, I also stick with 3M brand. 

• Like 1

I have a light tint on front and back, dark on the side, driving at night when at a "T" junction (or reversing) i simply put electric windows down, but with lights on dip, even the light tint appears dark, main beam is not a prob coz on my car both dip and main beam are on, I'm am thinking about adding some extra LCD spot/flood lights (plenty on Lazada and not expensive) to come on with dip, or on a separate switch. But as i rarely drive at night not yet bovered.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, ukrules said:

I had to tell the guy at the car showroom to just shut up and do what I'm telling you - he wanted me to have a very dark tint but I was having none of it.

Most but not all of my driving is in the evening when it's dark and I know the tint can be a problem.

The salesman really didn't want me to have this car delivered with anything lighter than what he was describing - which was far too dark - even in the daylight.

The problem of course if that it's daylight when you order the car so you kind of have to make a guess.

Since I took delivery of the car I'm very glad I told this idiot a very firm no on the much darker tint he offered because I would have went a shade or two lighter for night driving if I knew then what I know now.

I would second that. I had a Thai friend help me get my car tinted when I first came here, and recommended the same level of tint that she had in her car. After a few weeks, I went back to the shop to get it removed and replaced with the lightest tint that they could do. I could barely see out at night (in my 50s, so not too decrepit, yet) and thought it was really dangerous, particularly along mountain roads at nights, without a lot of street lighting. It is not surprising that there are so many accidents with the level of tint that many Thais have in their cars. I had the windscreen replaced, although sometimes at night, I wind-down the windows when coming out of a junction, so not ideal (particularly when raining). 

Get the lightest tint you can have is my recommendation. Don't judge the tint on daytime driving, which encourages a far darker tint than is safe.

For reference, Malaysia permits 70% front, 50% side and 30% for rear which seems sensible

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, roath said:

For reference, Malaysia permits 70% front, 50% side and 30% for rear which seems sensible

Last time heading to Singapore saw more than one Thai car scraping window tint off before they were allowed to proceed.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Kwasaki said:

My new Isuzu truck came with 3M film which was one of the things they listed you will get free along with the sales chat. ????

Different types of 3 m film, like I said go to a auto retail outlet, maybe COCKPIT and ask to see different quality of film.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Captain Monday said:

Never add tint. It is dangerous and should be banned. 

In fact any such vehicle modifications are illegal in Thailand unless it is noted in the green book, though enforcement is lacking.  

Window tint is not "dangerous", it depends on the darkness of the tint that the individual chooses.

Window tint in Thailand is not illegal, regardless of the percentage tint.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, rwill said:

My advise.  Don't listen to those saying don't tint the windows.  It helps a lot.

40% for the windshield and 60% for the sides/rear will give you decent tinting and is light enough to see good at night too.  This is what I have been told is the legal limit.  But many go darker than that.  Police don't care/do any thing about it.

60%/80% is great for the day time.  But makes it dangerous at night.

I wish there was a photochromic film available from the dealers.  I did find some on lazada.

I saw a compant advertising photochromic tint on facebook. I didn't pursue info on it. Looks good though. 

I would keep the front windscreen and front passenger windows to 60% light transmission. Some forget the front passenger windows, but we use them a lot when changing lanes - almost hit a bike once as the front was too dark for night driving. 

• Like 1

I changed the tint on my 10 year Thai car this year. I had a dark tint that was becoming a problem for aging eyes. I left all the old rear and sides the same and only changed the front windshield. I would suggest getting the best UV light tint for the front window and the the sides and rear, you can go darker and lower quality. I'm 71 and it was becoming a problem driving at night with the old dark tinted windshield.

As an aside, my 10 year old Mazda 2 now has 25k miles on it. It's like a little old lady only drove it to church on Sundays. This car will far outlast me at this rate. I'm always on the scooter.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Keith5588 said:

20210819_085835.jpg

yep thats them!  they are cheap and small but they do make a difference.

• Like 1

Windscreen tinting in any form is a danger , especially at night . My lady bought a new car and was advised by the female sales to have tint all round . When I first drove the car at night I could only drive at 50 km per hour max cos I thought the headlights were defective and the next day took the car back to the dealer and told him to check the lights . Lights are halogen , so not great anyway but they were not faulty , it was the stupid 60% tint . Asked them to remove it and change to a 20% but they did not keep it in stock but changed it to a 40% which is still too dark on unlit roads .

The UK car window tint law is a maximum of 25% tint on the windscreen and front side windows 30% which makes sense . I have often seen in Thailand a slot cut out of the tint on the drivers side which enables the driver to have night vision .  In Thailand you can do what tint you like , crazy . 

• Haha 1

Don't get them to dark . It can be difficult to see while driving at night!

These dealerships should have samples to show you !

My wife who is like a vampire, in the day time wishes she had the very dark tint.

3 hours ago, DUNROAMIN said:

Different types of 3 m film, like I said go to a auto retail outlet, maybe COCKPIT and ask to see different quality of film.

Well mine was free silver look from outside and getting on for 4 years no problem, I really don't know what your on about.