Thai Daughter

i have a thai daughter, and have her birth cert with me stipulated as the father (her surname is the same as mine). at the moment i have an entry visa from aran. I have recently started a new job (i am a journalist) and my salary is 40,000 baht, so that agrees with the new rules. Can I go to immigration her with my documents and get a year visa. I am the one who supports my daughter for everything.

thanx 4 your help

Rob

Not sure if I understand correctly but it seems you are here without a visa of any kind (just an entry without visa stay of 30 days), working without a work permit, and you have a Thai daughter but no Thai wife?

Immigration is very hesitant to approve extensions of stay for support of children as this has been abused in the past. But it appears you don't even have a visa or income from outside Thailand that would be required.

I would think your best option would be to obtain a proper journalist visa. If you then can obtain a work permit you should be able to use that for extensions of stay. If not (no work permit) you are not going to be able to use money made here as a basis for any extension of stay AFAIK.

hi lopburi, i have a 30 day entry visa, as i did not have the time before to go all the way to malaysia, etc, as I usually do. my new job is as a consultant, i have worked here as ajournalist (usually on a consultancy basi0 AND I HAVE A THAI TAX NUMBER. CONSULTANTS ARE A GREY AREA AS ARE MANY THINGS IN THAILAND. i DO NOT STAY WITH MY THAI WIFE ANY MORE, BUT MY thai relatives help me by looking after my daughter when i have to work late hours. my daughter goes to a thai government school and there is no problem there.

anything else you need to know to answer my q i am ready to type in

cheers

rob

lopburi, worked her as a journo \ editor for many thai companies, and been here a long time, but usually as a consultant. It is the new regs that have made me decide to get a longer visa. I used to use the trips to nearby countries as material for my writing, but since i have a daughter then I think it is time to stop leaving every 3 mths or so

If immigration does not ask too many questions it might be possible - but I would make sure that all tax payments are made if they give you the chance to do this without a work permit. I would not take the chance myself and either find a job to supply a work permit or get to some other place to work legally.

This is the relevant information from Immigration Division 3 LINK:

Application for further stay for an alien father or mother to support children who are Thai Citizen

1. Immigration form 7

2. Copy of passport

3. A 4 cm. x 6 cm. photograph

4. A 1,900 bath application fee

5. Evidence indication the parental status; birth certificate or a judicial custody order of the child

6. Evidence presenting financial status:

- Bank pass-book, bank statement certifying amount of money in the applicant's account, a certified documents of money transferring from oversea or evidence of income with related documents

7. A record of interviewing the applicant

8. The officials reserve the rights to examine or ask for additional documents if necessary

- In most cases, the request will not be approved if the alien parents sponsor an dopted child who is a Thai citizen

In theory the answer is YES.

Take you original marriage certificate,

your daugther's birth certificate

and go to immigration

along with the person who heads the household

where you daughter is registered.

Edited by astral