What Happens if I get a positive COVID Test upon Returning to Thailand

I have just gone through the procedure for getting a COE. Upon my return to Thailand, I will get a COVID test when I arrive at the quarantine hotel, one mid stay and one at the end of 14 days. What happens if any of the three tests is positive? I looked on the internet and could not find anything useful.

At first they were sending those folks to hospital right off...but due to bed shortages, you'll likely either go to quarantine center or maybe if asymptomatic maybe shelter in place for additional 14 days ? I don't think they have stated public policy on that...but I could easily see the hotel/authorities wanting you out of that hotel as quickly as possible.

There was report of exactly this situation.

A chap did ASQ at Bangkok. He had returned to Thailand and was not vaccinated. Tested positive few days into stay.

He was removed and taken to hospitel. (Hotel). Stated it was horrible. 3 meals/day often cold in plastic box.

His health cover paid all. 

I would not return to Thailand without being vaccinated. True not bullet proof but better than nothing.

Edited by DrJack54
  • Like 2

You get taken to the hospital associated with your ASQ and stay there until 2 negative tests . Your insurance pays or you do for the hospital stay . Happened to two people when I was in ASQ . One was a guy who had it in uk and got better , then got tested for COE in uk and all clear . He got tested in ASQ and failed . It is possible he caught it on the plane but he reckons the test they done in Thailand was set to be far more sensitive and it detected trace that was still in his body from when he had it before.

• Like 2

23 hours ago, ezzra said:

And this is why they are forcing you to take $100,000 Covid insurance that you can demand to be put in a proper private hospital and not at home...

You demand with the insurance company you paid. Government is not obligated to provide a private hospital. If available, they will provide one. 

On 8/21/2021 at 7:45 AM, ezzra said:

And this is why they are forcing you to take $100,000 Covid insurance that you can demand to be put in a proper private hospital and not at home...

Can you?? The last report I saw about this from a very accurate Asean Now source is that with some insurance companies, the insurance kicks in right from the start, and with others it does not kick in during the first 14 days, which means that in the latter case, if you are tested positive on arrival it is "hard luck pal", then hunted from the hotel. 

Will the hotel then refund what you have paid for your ASQ?

17 hours ago, mikecha said:

you go to a jail  then they test u till u negative  then after the 14 days  and negative test  u can go\

would not come here unvaxinated  bad choice and big risk

can get vaxinated in europe pretty easy

What if you have been vaccinated in Thailand with the mixed vaccine which could mean one of them being a Chinese one? Then go to the UK. Should you then get  vaccinated twice again with the proper vaccine? Would you be taking a chance with your health in any way if you do? 

2 hours ago, CartagenaWarlock said:

You demand with the insurance company you paid. Government is not obligated to provide a private hospital. If available, they will provide one. 

So you are obligated to pay this very expensive $100.000 insurance, but the government or insurance company is not obligated to put you in a private hospital.

I am sure there are always beds available in the likes of Bumingrad Hospital, please excuse the spelling.

Edited by possum1931

37 minutes ago, possum1931 said:

What if you have been vaccinated in Thailand with the mixed vaccine which could mean one of them being a Chinese one? Then go to the UK. Should you then get  vaccinated twice again with the proper vaccine? Would you be taking a chance with your health in any way if you do? 

Getting additional shots of any vaccine, unless one of the tested boosters, most certainly carries risk, and I would not advise it except with professional advice and monitoring. Some boosters have been studied, for instance mRNA boosters several months after a regular two-dose regime with some of the non mRNA vaccines.

• Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, possum1931 said:

So you are obligated to pay this very expensive $100.000 insurance, but the government is not obligated to put you in a private hospital.

I am sure there are always beds available in the likes of Bumingrad Hospital, please excuse the spelling.

The private hospitals will have designated Covid-19 wards, and will not put you among non Covid-19 patients. The Covid-19 areas of private hospitals in Bangkok are, indeed, full.

Under exceptional circumstances, a hospital might accommodate you in a cordoned off part of the emergency department for a number of hours (generally, when they are legally obligated to accept a patient) but they will not accept any patient for whom they do not have an available bed under most circumstances.

• Thanks 1

On 8/21/2021 at 9:00 AM, DrJack54 said:

There was report of exactly this situation.

A chap did ASQ at Bangkok. He had returned to Thailand and was not vaccinated. Tested positive few days into stay.

He was removed and taken to hospitel. (Hotel). Stated it was horrible. 3 meals/day often cold in plastic box.

His health cover paid all. 

I would not return to Thailand without being vaccinated. True not bullet proof but better than nothing.

Vaccinated or not, can still test positive.

8 hours ago, possum1931 said:

So you are obligated to pay this very expensive $100.000 insurance, but the government or insurance company is not obligated to put you in a private hospital.

As I said, if it's available, they will provide one. But nobody is obligated. It's you who made it obligated by coming to Thailand. Nobody invited you even if you have a job in Thailand. 

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Ralf001 said:

Vaccinated or not, can still test positive.

My reason for wanting to  be vaccinated prior to coming to Thailand was not about avoiding positive test.

Rather it's that obtaining vaccination in Thailand is not easy. 

I have received my first AZ at Bang Sue and that was a Zoo. Next jab is 12 weeks after the first.

Anyone coming to Thailand currently without being vaccinated is nuts.

30 minutes ago, CartagenaWarlock said:

As I said, if it's available, they will provide one. But nobody is obligated. It's you who made it obligated by coming to Thailand. Nobody invited you even if you have a job in Thailand. 

I think while you are in ASQ (but not when you are in a SHA+ hotel in a sandbox) your ASQ package has an implied guarantee that the partner hospital of the hotel will provide Covid treatment should you test positive. The government appears to mandate that all ASQ hotels have a partner hospital that is named when you buy an ASQ package.. Surely, there is a reason for that.