Thailand reports 19,014 COVID-19 cases, 20,672 recoveries, 233 deaths

Jonathan Fairfield

Updates from Ambassador Jon Åström Gröndahl on the current situation in Thailand 

In Swedish Ambassador Jon Åström Gröndahl’s monthly letter to all Swedes in Thailand, the Ambassador comments on the current situation regarding the rise in Covid-19 infections in Thailand as well as updating on the Embassy’s upcoming important tasks. 

Regarding the rapid spread of the Delta variant across Thailand and the vaccination roll-out in the country, the Ambassador writes: “The spread of infection now has a tight grip on Thailand. Deaths are increasing and the strain on society is significant, not least in health care. The restrictions are tough over large parts of the country and the economy continues to take a beating. Let us, not least for the sake of all our Thai friends, hope that it can turn around soon. There are cautiously gratifying signs that the vaccination rate is now increasing in Thailand, which in many other countries has been shown to have major positive effects.” 

https://scandasia.com/updates-from-ambassador-jon-astrom-grondahl-on-the-current-situation-in-thailand/

• Thanks 2

The #Chonburi Department of Public Health has not released any timelines for several days now in terms of Covid-19, we have been asked some questions about this. There is no communication on if this is just temporary or if they have decided to stop issuing them.

https://twitter.com/The_PattayaNews/status/1429305025507983362

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, mikesalaugh said:

I agree the opening depends on the vaccination numbes but  - also on the infection rates. The infection rates are reflected in the testing numbers which are rapidly dropping.

If Thailand waits until 70% are double vaccinated we are looking at 12 months+, it's not going to happen this year. - The big pledge was to open in "120" days - imho it won't happen. Just to add that the U.K are over 75% double vaccinated and cases are still 30,000 a day (with diminished hospitalisations and deaths). - You can't beat this virus and all countries need to learn to live with it and not wreck thier economy.

Excellent post. 

There will come a time when the balance will be reached and a decision will have to be made in terms of number of deaths through Covid vs the economy, people’s livelihooods, and all the other negatives caused by lockdowns, mental health, suicides etc. 

Not an easy decision for anyone but as high say it’s not going away and life will still goes on once people learn to live with that. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, HampiK said:

But Bangkok I think have now behind Phuket and Samui the most vaccinated persons. This also could help to reduced (or let's say not grow) the amount of person have to go hospital.

But eould not affect the numbers testing positive, from what I have read. Vaccinated or not, still would test positive if exposed. Simply less testing? "Oh, you were vaccinated, no need to test."

I am remembering when President Trump wanted to slow down testing so the case numbers would not look as bad.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, dinsdale said:

So a 41% infection rate in BKK and 59% in the provinces. The daily figure does not seem to fit with this. When will yesterday's 7000 positive antigen tests show up? 2000 today so 10,000 in three days. Why did they stop doing >70,000 PCR tests per day and reduce it to high 40k low 50k? 

3 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

Obviously a rhetorical question @dinsdale. We can guess the reasoning with an October opening still on the books.  Vietnam tommorow will place HoChiMin City in a locked in status with use of the military to deliver aid and food to the locked in residents.  Here the military is needed to secure the borders......

No it's not a rhetorical question. It's a question I was hoping some on here who we all know would answer. Guess they only answer questions that suit their own narrative.

• Like 1

Today there were 233 deaths in #Thailand

140 males & 93 females

Burmese (4), Lao (1), Chinese (1) & Singaporean (1)

2 pregnant woman and 1 baby

Median age is 66 (7 months-101 years)

Most deaths in Bangkok (71)

67% of those who died were 60+

4 died at home

https://twitter.com/ThaiNewsReports/status/1429315725944967172

• Sad 1
  • Thanks 2

Considering how contagious the Delta variant of COVID is  I do not see the numbers going any lower

any time soon. Look at Indonesia, there are still a lot of people dying in that country. Good luck with your vaccinations

for those in Thailand that are still waiting. Stay cautious stay healthy.

Geezer

2 minutes ago, anchadian said:

140 males & 93 females

4 died at home

Sad figures again. 1/3 under the age of 60 and another baby. I think that's two little ones this week. Two preagnat women and their unborn. Just terrible.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, anchadian said:

140 males & 93 females

4 died at home

Until a couple of weeks ago I really didn't realize pregnant woman were so vulnerable to covid, two today, a couple the day before and one a day before that!

RIP all fatalities

• Like 1

From the total number of confirmed cases that were found in the past 24 hours:

- 16,428 were found via walk-in tests at medical facilities

- 2,576 via proactive tests at known clusters

- 10 imported cases

https://twitter.com/ThaiEnquirer/status/1429328226548027394

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, anchadian said:

Thailand has or will order a further 12m does of Sinovac along with a recent order of 10m doses of Pfizer making a total of 30m doses of Pfizer which are due within the 4th quarter this yr,

A recent order of 150,000 AZ on loan from Butan which has just arrived in Thailand.

So 3 days worth of the AZ vaccine, Thank you Bhutan. Lets hope there is some AZ left for my 2nd vaccination dues on the 16th of September.

Thai health authorities to eliminate duplicate food allowances for COVID-19 patients in isolation

NHSO Secretary-General Dr. Jadet Thamtat-aree said today (Sunday) that they have found that numerous patients in home or community isolation in various provinces are being provided free food by local administration organizations, hence, the decision to cut the food allowance.

https://www.thaipbsworld.com/thai-health-authorities-to-eliminate-duplicate-food-allowances-for-covid-19-patients-in-isolation/

• Sad 1

24 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

So 3 days worth of the AZ vaccine, Thank you Bhutan. Lets hope there is some AZ left for my 2nd vaccination dues on the 16th of September.

Lot of folk in your situation. Myself included on Oct 19. 

How would you react to being offered Sinovac if no AZ available at that time?

2 hours ago, anchadian said:

A further 7.2m doses of AZ is expected shortly.

So, if my math is correct, and Thailand is trying to vaccinate 500,000 people per day, and we assume that the 7.2 million doses of AZ are to arrive before the current inventory is depleted:

That means that in 22 days, at 500,000 per day, there will be no vaccine available until the "4th quarter".  22 days from now is September 12.  October 1 is the beginning of the 4th quarter. 

So, my math says there will be no vaccine for at least 20 days, and that's if supplies arrive October 1.  Most likely, it will be longer than that.  4th quarter is a very loose term (spoken by someone waiting for his Moderna in the "4th quarter".  

• Confused 2

46 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

How are 150,000 doses equal to a 3 day supply?  That's only 50,000 per day.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DrJack54 said:

Yea, my second is due on the 18th Sept for AZ. However my son from the UK who has been working here for the last 4 years had his first AZ along with me on the 28th June, We both then got our second dose appointments for the 18th Sept although at different locations.

He was notified last week by sms that his was brought forward to the 4th Sept. I've had no notification of any change in mine yet.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DrJack54 said:

I would walk away.  Look at my options and probably fly to the US and then return to the Sandbox in order to return home here.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

I would walk away.  Look at my options and probably fly to the US and then return to the Sandbox in order to return home here.

Absolutely, point blank, apologize politely and just get back in my car and make other plans.

• Like 1

Sisaket cases. Un to those reported today.

I expect it will fall in the near future as PCR testing is swapped out with ATK testing and is no longer reported

Covid Delta is here in the Sisaket population, a population that is largely unvaccinated. As Sisaket is not considered a risk area (or mayme as important) - I do not expect to see the vaccine situation improving soon. Covid Delta tears trough unvaccinated populations....

from: https://twitter.com/NBTWORLDNews/status/1429342652273549313/photo/1

image.png.fa1388f86d74feae57ff872f6837b103.png

• Like 2