Finally (made up my mind) to change to Retirement from Marriage extension. Documents Required.

21 hours ago, david555 said:

Ihave read it , that is why i doubt that ...legally married is for both a legal status , has no differance about the ext.status !

Some extracts for you to read from the article in the link below may assist, no doubt in my mind what transpired, however I didn't think it was short lived, e.g. 3 months, I thought it was longer, but hey, I was here so I didn't really pay to much attention.

• Thailand began allowing selected international arrivals from July 1, 2020, as the country began easing its lockdown measures.
  • Diplomats, work permit holders, international students, and family members of Thai nationals are some of the categories of travelers being permitted to enter.
  • All travelers, however, will need to have a negative COVID-19 health certificate prior to arrival and must be willing to undergo a 14-day quarantine at a government-designated hotel.

From July 1, 2020, Thailand began allowing the entry of selected international travelers for the first time in three months since the country entered a nationwide lockdown to contain the spread of the COVID-19 virus.

Foreigners who have Thai spouses, and those with work permits or residency in Thailand, have been permitted to enter the country. The Civil Aviation Authority of Thailand (CAAT)  laid out the criteria and protocol for which international travelers must adhere by.

Family members of Thai nationals (parent/spouse/children)

The spouses, parents, or children of Thai nationals can apply for a Certificate of Entry to enter Thailand.

Applicants will need to show a copy of their visa, and if expired, will need to apply for a new one. Immigration authorities may ask for more supporting documents, such as evidence of property ownership in the country.

https://www.aseanbriefing.com/news/thailand-allows-entry-selected-international-travelers/

34 minutes ago, 4MyEgo said:

Some extracts for you to read from the article in the link below may assist, no doubt in my mind what transpired, however I didn't think it was short lived, e.g. 3 months, I thought it was longer, but hey, I was here so I didn't really pay to much attention.

• Thailand began allowing selected international arrivals from July 1, 2020, as the country began easing its lockdown measures.
  • Diplomats, work permit holders, international students, and family members of Thai nationals are some of the categories of travelers being permitted to enter.
  • All travelers, however, will need to have a negative COVID-19 health certificate prior to arrival and must be willing to undergo a 14-day quarantine at a government-designated hotel.

From July 1, 2020, Thailand began allowing the entry of selected international travelers for the first time in three months since the country entered a nationwide lockdown to contain the spread of the COVID-19 virus.

Foreigners who have Thai spouses, and those with work permits or residency in Thailand, have been permitted to enter the country. The Civil Aviation Authority of Thailand (CAAT)  laid out the criteria and protocol for which international travelers must adhere by.

Family members of Thai nationals (parent/spouse/children)

The spouses, parents, or children of Thai nationals can apply for a Certificate of Entry to enter Thailand.

Applicants will need to show a copy of their visa, and if expired, will need to apply for a new one. Immigration authorities may ask for more supporting documents, such as evidence of property ownership in the country.

https://www.aseanbriefing.com/news/thailand-allows-entry-selected-international-travelers/

nowhere i see an extra reference about the type of a spouse ext. would be a reason for entrance or  for only favoring only those married , and extended under the "married to Thai extension ", they talk about married ones...eg. only legally married 

, and of course being able to produce that "Kor or ror " thing (dont know the correct name ) if not in possession wherever they were outside Thailand  the proof of marriage  was needed....! ,and i guess not all of married to Thai walk or travel around the globe with  that paper in their pocket , so there could arise the same problem that a document needed to be produced to the embassy's and  for some that could be the problem maybe ....

PS:

i really do not see why you keep making a difference between marriages   , you can only marry in 1 way in Thailand and be a spouse to Thai , the legal marriage way ..... there is no difference in marriage type ,  

And like i said before each take the option he like , one is worth the other ....,depending the needed means or options 

And the funny thing while discussing a marriage type ....,is , that i am even not married , in my system i can take out complete my 800 k and take a plane out Thailand any moment if i do not need anymore my Thai stay extension ,   not breaking even a marriage or relation ,  free as a bird  ..... lol 5555 ????

Edited by david555

On 8/22/2021 at 4:44 AM, MJCM said:

What are the documents needed to do this change?

I know I need to bring the wife because she has to sign some documents because of changing reasons for extension, but is there anything else?

To my knowledge you don't need to bring your wife, you are applying for an extension of stay based on retirement.

The demand of documents and paperwork might be slightly different from one immigration office to another, perhaps your immigration has a list of required documents.

The immigration office I use is known to be extremely demanding and strict, so you might not need all the documentation asked for by "my immigration" - if you are not using the same immigration office - I think the medical certificate is only required here, or perhaps at one more place, but this is the full list...

CCB35401-964C-4FBD-94A0-E064B53C0BF1.thu

• Like 1

1 hour ago, david555 said:

nowhere i see an extra reference about the type of a spouse ext. would be a reason for entrance or  for only favoring only those married , and extended under the "married to Thai extension ", they talk about married ones...eg. only legally married 

, and of course being able to produce that "Kor or ror " thing (dont know the correct name ) if not in possession wherever they were outside Thailand  the proof of marriage  was needed....! ,and i guess not all of married to Thai walk or travel around the globe with  that paper in their pocket , so there could arise the same problem that a document needed to be produced to the embassy's and  for some that could be the problem maybe ....

PS:

i really do not see why you keep making a difference between marriages   , you can only marry in 1 way in Thailand and be a spouse to Thai , the legal marriage way ..... there is no difference in marriage type ,  

And like i said before each take the option he like , one is worth the other ....,depending the needed means or options 

And the funny thing while discussing a marriage type ....,is , that i am even not married , in my system i can take out complete my 800 k and take a plane out Thailand any moment if i do not need anymore my Thai stay extension ,   not breaking even a marriage or relation ,  free as a bird  ..... lol 5555 ????

What ever floats your boat, your bottom lines sums it up, thx.

• Thanks 1

On 8/22/2021 at 12:30 PM, Moonlover said:

Why on earth would anyone want to tie up 800k THB of the own money thus allowing immigration to dictate what you can, and more importantly cannot do with YOUR OWN MONEY? It makes absolutely no sense to me at all.

Getting a marriage extension is no big deal. Thousands of us do every year and, in my experience longer you do it, the easier it gets, even without the embassy letter.

I am on the retirement visa and I don't tie up any 800k THB.  I transfer in more than the required 65k THB per month anyway, so the requirement doesn't change my behavior at all.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Donga said:

I got this version from Hua Hin Immigration, which is far better for me. Can simply transfer 65,000 baht each month and show them the bank book.

I think if you read my attachment carefully, this can be done, although need letter and a statement from bank not just book.

5 hours ago, cmarshall said:

I am on the retirement visa and I don't tie up any 800k THB.  I transfer in more than the required 65k THB per month anyway, so the requirement doesn't change my behavior at all.

Best way to be. I saw your earlier message and was a bit envious! I used to be the same until 'Cameron's calamitous referendum' pulled the rug out from underneath the pound!

But I'm clawing my way back and, hopefully I'll be back on retirement next year.

@MJCMAn important point for you to bear in mind for when you do make the switch - which, as far as I can tell, hasn't yet been made in this thread - is that your new retirement extension will be dated from when you submit your application to your local immigration office rather than from when your current permission to stay expires. So, if you have been in the habit of applying for marriage extensions as soon as the window has opened for doing this up to 30 days before the expiry date of your current permission to stay, it might be better for you to hold fire until nearer this expiry date on this particular occasion. This would, however, only be an issue for you for the year in which you made the switch - unless, of course, you were planning to alternate between retirement and marriage extensions!

• Like 1

22 hours ago, MJCM said:

\

May I ask why you think so it's not my plan?

It most certainly wasn't my wife's plan because before she married me she hadn't a clue about Marriage Visa or the "Visa Khon Kae (elderly people Visa)" visa as she names the Retirement Visa ????

I meant, I didn't think your initial intention on this forum was to start a debate about visas. You said you had made up your mind and were asking about what papers were needed.

I'm sure your plan to get an elderly people visa was all yours!

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, jrward42 said:

I meant, I didn't think your initial intention on this forum was to start a debate about visas. You said you had made up your mind and were asking about what papers were needed.

I'm sure your plan to get an elderly people visa was all yours!

5555555 Correct.

IMHO this topic evolved and brought out interesting view points and I am glad about those because they made me think if I am doing the right thing!

I am now even more convinced to go ahead with the change then before and I also learned a thing or 2!

Again thx all!!!

:wai:

• Like 1

Just another little thing that i have fallen foul of today, while "Waiting" for your approval/Issue of your extension to stay based on marriage . . you have no current valid long term visa, so i was refused opening a Kasikorn Bank Account and also Foreign Deposit account . .  "Sorry come back when you have visa (Permission to stay)"  Plus also refused claiming Tax refund on interest paid in savings accounts, same reason
Told by both to come back when permission to stay granted . .  I know neither of those are vitally important, but just another irritation op top of all the others regarding permission to stay based on marriage . .