Thai drivers license

Emzz21

Yes of course. Sit the exam, in English, and take the test. Same as the locals. Except they don't select English.

Two different licenses, so two different practical tests.

They will have a car you can, "cough", borrow. Which sometimes helps. 

7 minutes ago, VocalNeal said:

Yes of course. Sit the exam, in English, and take the test. Same as the locals. Except they don't select English.

Two different licenses, so two different practical tests.

They will have a car you can, "cough", borrow. Which sometimes helps. 

Yes, x2...

If you don't drive a car in the UK you have zero business driving in Thailand. The best way to get a motorbike license is to attend a driving school where they help you practice the written exam.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

Yes you can. There are driving schools here, but you'll have to seek one out that has an English speaking instructor. You won't get the comprehensive package that you'd  expect back in your home country, but it will be enough to get you on the road. Most Thais get there without any instruction!

The best choice would be to take a 1 week full time course which can include a motorcycle course as well. These schools are registered with the DLT and will 'walk' you through the whole process to obtaining your licenses. My wife did one in Udon Thani which costed 5,000 THB if I remember rightly.

• Like 1

Before the OP does anything make sure his local office is even open,I want to renew my car DL ,did the now online test ,went to my local office Lopburi, with all the paper work to be told  with Covid they are shut, left with their  phone number .told to phone when things improve? 

I would say applying for a new DL now it will be a long wait, my DL ran out back in May.  

31 minutes ago, kickstart said:

Before the OP does anything make sure his local office is even open,I want to renew my car DL ,did the now online test ,went to my local office Lopburi, with all the paper work to be told  with Covid they are shut, left with their  phone number .told to phone when things improve? 

I would say applying for a new DL now it will be a long wait, my DL ran out back in May.  

Thai DL can be renewed anywhere in Thailand. If Lopburi is closed you can visit the nearest one. I have done it previously without any issues.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Camillof said:

Yes if you reside here in Thailand more or less permanently, if you are not here just on a tourist visa.

I did mine from scratch 2 years ago, for both car and motorbike. The whole thing took 3 days, without counting the time needed to get the documents required. Here in Korat City they asked me for:

- Passport

- Proof of residence (here in Korat they want a certificate issued by Immigration Office; the yellow book used to suffice in the past but no more now)

- Medical certificate

First day I had to undergo:

1. Basic abilities test, only once for both licenses, consisting of:

----- Color recognition test

----- Side viewing test

----- Reaction time test

----- Remote alignment test

I think this basic test is always mandatory for everybody, also for simple renewal of license.

2. Lengthy theory briefing, only once for both licenses. It consisted in viewing videos the rest of the morning and listening to a lecturer the whole afternoon, all in Thai. I remember that I was the only foreigner and probably the only "adult" (over-25) in the classroom, and that everybody seemed to be at least as bored as me.

Second and third day I had to undergo:

3. A theory exam, two times; once for the car license, and then once more the following day for the motorbike license. It was in English for me. It consisted in a set of multiple choice questions to be answered on the screen at an individual working station assigned to every applicant. If I remember well there were 90 questions with a tolerance of up to 5 mistakes. I think the machine picks up questions at random, therefore there is little chance that you get exactly the same questions both days, although many questions will be repeated for sure. There are facsimile manuals around, with all of the questions they might ask you, in English. I warmly advise you to get one of those and memorize all answers perfectly before taking the exam. That's what I tried to do myself; yet, I still gave 3 wrong answers the first time.

4. A practical driving test, two times; once for the car license, and then once more the following day for the motorbike license. Here in Korat we need to go with our own vehicle. As I don't have a car I borrowed my friend's for that day. Both practical tests took place in a dedicated area inside the court of the traffic department office and focused mainly on vehicle control and maneuvring skills. You have to perform a certain number of exercises under the eyes of an inspector who might not speak English at all. Nothing much anyway, also because normally if you fail one exercise they give you the opportunity to try again and again until you get it right - I saw others going through that.

5. When all that was over, the third day, I had to go to another office on a different floor and wait in line until they called my name. Then I sat in front of an employee who cashed the official fee, took my photo, and printed out both driving licenses that he handed over to me with the receipt of payment.

Great description, well done. Good notes on bringing a vehicle too.

As others have stated, the road rules here are a bit odd but manageable. I would agree with those who are saying think twice if you live in the Bangkok metrosprawl. It is not the place for beginners to practice. Out in the provinces, the driving is pretty normal except for the insane minivan drivers and the illegal passing. Be very careful on motorcycles everywhere, they are lethal, mostly getting hit by cars.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, DrJoy said:

Thai DL can be renewed anywhere in Thailand. If Lopburi is closed you can visit the nearest one. I have done it previously without any issues.

Keep up. All DLT are currently closed until

further notice. I have the same issue as @kickstart mine ran out in March, I have had all the paperwork together on three different occasions, visited two different centers, once in March when Thais were watching the video online, I was told the center didn't have an English video or then other times the centers were closed due to covid, even when calling the day prior.

They did make it possible for westerners to do the online video for a time, but not now, they say everything is frozen until

they see some improvement in the situation.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, recom273 said:

Keep up. All DLT are currently closed until

further notice. I have the same issue as @kickstart mine ran out in March, I have had all the paperwork together on three different occasions, visited two different centers, once in March when Thais were watching the video online, I was told the center didn't have an English video or then other times the centers were closed due to covid, even when calling the day prior.

They did make it possible for westerners to do the online video for a time, but not now, they say everything is frozen until

they see some improvement in the situation.

On 21-AUG-21, Mr. Chirut Wisanchit, Director-General of the Department of Land Transport, revealed that the Department of Land Transport is coordinating with the Royal Thai Police on extension of time to relax law enforcement. Let those who have a driving license and a vehicle license that has expired can continue to use until December 31 , 2021 to alleviate the suffering of the people.

Director-General of the Department of Land Transport added that In addition to asking for cooperation to the Royal Thai Police In the part of people who have documents supporting applications for obtaining or renewing their driving licenses and licenses as vehicle personnel, such as a medical certificate Certificate of passing training and testing Requests that are not completed within 90 days result from e-Learning training that expires on April 16, 2021, which is the date that the service starts. The Department of Land Transport has allowed it to be used as a supporting document until December 31, 2021.To reduce the burden on people to continue to use the document.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, DrJoy said:

On 21-AUG-21, Mr. Chirut Wisanchit, Director-General of the Department of Land Transport, revealed that the Department of Land Transport is coordinating with the Royal Thai Police on extension of time to relax law enforcement. Let those who have a driving license and a vehicle license that has expired can continue to use until December 31 , 2021 to alleviate the suffering of the people.

Director-General of the Department of Land Transport added that In addition to asking for cooperation to the Royal Thai Police In the part of people who have documents supporting applications for obtaining or renewing their driving licenses and licenses as vehicle personnel, such as a medical certificate Certificate of passing training and testing Requests that are not completed within 90 days result from e-Learning training that expires on April 16, 2021, which is the date that the service starts. The Department of Land Transport has allowed it to be used as a supporting document until December 31, 2021.To reduce the burden on people to continue to use the document.

Yup - they are allowing you to use your old license ( i think that’s what it’s saying ) but it’s not much help when you have acquired 2x residence certificates and 2x doctors notes and then ridden 25km on multiple days to find that one day it’s open and next closed, that one week they had the English video and the following week they haven’t. 

19 minutes ago, recom273 said:

Yup - they are allowing you to use your old license ( i think that’s what it’s saying ) but it’s not much help when you have acquired 2x residence certificates and 2x doctors notes and then ridden 25km on multiple days to find that one day it’s open and next closed, that one week they had the English video and the following week they haven’t. 

Your DLT doesn't accept yellow book ? 5 years to 5 years does not need Doctors certification.

2 hours ago, DrJoy said:

Your DLT doesn't accept yellow book ? 5 years to 5 years does not need Doctors certification.

I guess they do, they also accept work permit but as I don’t hold either then I have to use a certificate of residence from immigration. 

The wife renewed her DL in Feb they sent her away to go and get medical certificate. 

22 hours ago, Moonlover said:

Yes you can. There are driving schools here, but you'll have to seek one out that has an English speaking instructor. You won't get the comprehensive package that you'd  expect back in your home country, but it will be enough to get you on the road. Most Thais get there without any instruction!

The best choice would be to take a 1 week full time course which can include a motorcycle course as well. These schools are registered with the DLT and will 'walk' you through the whole process to obtaining your licenses. My wife did one in Udon Thani which costed 5,000 THB if I remember rightly.

Yep, Bht 5000 to allow you to drive how the hell you want.

13 minutes ago, KannikaP said:

Yep, Bht 5000 to allow you to drive how the hell you want.

Do you mind. I was giving a poster some useful advise. A friend of mine from many years past, gave me some good advise, which I'll pass on to you.

She said 'If you've got nothing useful to say, say nothing'.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Moonlover said:

Do you mind. I was giving a poster some useful advise. A friend of mine from many years past, gave me some good advise, which I'll pass on to you.

She said 'If you've got nothing useful to say, say nothing'.

Sorry, but you know where I was coming from with my comment. 

1 hour ago, recom273 said:

I guess they do, they also accept work permit but as I don’t hold either then I have to use a certificate of residence from immigration. 

The wife renewed her DL in Feb they sent her away to go and get medical certificate. 

Your wife can get you registered in her house. You will get a Tabien Baan see Luang (yellow book) and PINK ID card, then can renew DL with no problems. Work permits issued from 2019 dont have address printed inside, so they are of no use.

I guess, it depends on the person with whom you interact at the DLT.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, DrJoy said:
2 hours ago, recom273 said:

Expand  

Your wife can get you registered in her house. You will get a Tabien Baan see Luang (yellow book) and PINK ID card, then can renew DL with no problems. Work permits issued from 2019 dont have address printed inside, so they are of no use.

I guess, it depends on the person with whom you interact at the DLT.

Uh ohhh.... here we go...  Yellow Book Pink ID diversion... 

To clarify: 

- Work Permit: A lot of new Work Permits are not accepted as proof of address as they do not contain your current residential address. 

- Yellow Tabien baan House Book - Some DLT’s do accept them as proof of address. Some do not and want a certificate of Residence (Pattaya, Chonburi DLT and some others do not. DLT Area 3 in Bangkok does accept the Yellow Tabien baan as proof of address). 

- Proof of address from Immigration - Some Immigration offices only provide a Proof of Address Letter if the applicant has submitted a 90 day report (i.e. in Bangkok) Other immigration offices (i.e. Chiang Mai) provide any applicant with a Proof of Address letter. 

- Embassy issued Affirmation of Residence - Some Embassies only provide an Affirmation of Residency letter for applicants who are on visas other than Tourist Visa and Visa Exemption on Arrival stamps. 

As you can see - mileage varies, from office to office, location to location, officer to officer...   you get lucky one day, the next you get stumbling blocks !

• Like 1

On 8/23/2021 at 2:22 PM, bbko said:

I copy and paste from that page:

Starting from 2019 the driving license written examination in Thailand became much more complicated than it used to be before.
(...)

Thai driving license exam  is divided into 2 sets of questions, each set consists of 25 questions (totally 50 questions).

I passed mine in June 2019 and it was not as described here, so I guess the new rules were applied starting later on that year. I am positive that my written exam consisted of many more than 50 questions, and it was all in a single set, not in two sets. 

On 8/22/2021 at 5:42 PM, sweetserenity said:

Which is the best and cheapest pattaya driving school in pattaya?

Thanks in advance

On 27.10.2015 a user named puuchai299 wrote on Thaivisa:

Actually there is a good driving school just off nongket yai road,soi 15 off sukhumvitl,opposite Chol chan hotel.
They have a big driving area.they are like an agency school for the government,
The price for the course which includes about 15 hours driving/teaching is quite reasonable.i know a few thai and farangs that have learnt there and have turned out to be quite safe drivers.the school can pass them then they go to pick up the license at the transport office on 36 highway,much simpler than waiting the que at the transport office...
I forgot to add,the current price is 5.500 baht for car,and 1000 baht for motorbike..

I was a UK Government approved Driving Instructor for 24 years. (though I didn't do it full time). Nowadays if anyone asks me for recommendations I tell them to look for the most expensive independant instructor they can find, NOT THE CHEAPEST. There is a reason that instructor has a full diary and is able to command their fee.

Edited by Lancashirelad
typos
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1