Want to expand home TV viewing options

RickSee

Spoiler:  I'm a real novice on this subject.

Am in a 2  b/r condo in BKK with 2 TVs, including one smart.  Have TRUE inet (that generally works ok) as well as a Netflix subscription, though no analog antenna or digital TV access.  Can connect chromecast with each TV.

Would like to expand TV viewing options for both TVs to also get some US, UK and European programming, including news and major sporting events (eg.  football - both varieties - and major golf), and perhaps additional movie choices. 

Have seen references to ROKU, PULSE, HULA - as well as firesticks, android boxes, etc, but can't understand what I may need to expand the TV viewing options for both TVs within reasonable cost.

Would be grateful for any suggestions in terms of inet provider, additional equipment and content subscriptions.

Thanks, Rs

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, KannikaP said:

If you have a PC/laptop connected to TV via HDMI or a browser on your Smart TV, all you need is a VPN eg Express or Nord or free, to get all UK channels, which could cost you $99 a YEAR. USTVGO.tv gets you most USA channels. Download movies for free via torrents.

Fine for torrents. If you want good quality buffer free tv then you have to subscribe.

• Like 2
  • Confused 3
  • Sad 1

13 hours ago, RickSee said:

Can connect chromecast with each TV.

Which version?

You have a mobile phone? Which provider?

How do you currently view Netflix? Via a native app on your lone smart TV, or do you cast from your phone to either/both Chromecasts?

You have True Online Fiber?

Do you have any other True products? TrueVisions?

TrueVisions has a promo right now for TrueMove H customers.

I think you're going to be hard-pressed to cobble together, and manage on a daily basis, the various free and paid services you require. Add in the VPN issue, which seems to be harder and harder to overcome, and soon you'll need a work permit.

It will be more of a hobby than entertainment, which is fine.

There have been hundreds of great threads and posts here, searching for and finding them is challenging.

Start by Googling: streaming site:aseannow.com  and refine to the past year. And substitute streaming with expat tv or IPTV.

Scouse123's solution sounds worth investigating, if it's half as good as claimed it is worth the 600 baht/month.

Most of these IPTV solutions are dodgy here - based on my recollection of posts over the years. And people often exaggerate the performance, perhaps in an effort to justify their own decision. 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, sungod said:

Fine for torrents. If you want good quality buffer free tv then you have to subscribe.

i have just put a new app on my android box, been using it for movies/tv shows, no buffering with small files available as well as large, all free of charge and uses torrents to stream the movie/tv show

• Like 1

13 hours ago, 1FinickyOne said:

me too, but I am in Thailand... does anyone know which one of the options might have a great collection of old movies... I am not into comic book superheroes and action.. I don't mind paying but want to see some sort of menu first

OP - if you like music - Spotify has a free option and you can listen to almost anything ever made... and for free. It was easy to set up and the adverts are not frequent or intruding... just type in the search "60s" or "classical" or any artist you like and it will just play stuff forever.. 

Great tip about Spotify, installing it now. Thanks very much!

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, tlcwaterfall said:

Plus around 20 terabytes of Movies, tv shows etc. as a back up.

The average 1080 movie takes about 5GB of disk space. How many have you got on your 20 TB?

And will you live long enough to watch them all?    LOL

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, The Fugitive said:

Great tip about Spotify, installing it now. Thanks very much!

let me know how you like it... I am listening to John Prine now and often sleep at night to Mozart

They also have a pay option which allows you to download songs for free. I am beefing up a playlist and will go to pay option soon.

Edited by 1FinickyOne
  • Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

Android TV Box and install Pulse TV. Everything you need.

a little expensive at 1,000 Baht a month but it works unlike a lot of the cheaper products.

Also Disney is now available around 800 Baht a year.

• Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for the several suggestions.  A little surprised to see I may be amongst the majority in my confusion.

Ref the questions asked by mtis2025:

- Not sure of the chromecast versions, though they were bought 4-5 years ago

- Pre-paid mobile with AIS

- Netflix connected thru the smart TV app.

- I occasionally cast from phone to the chromecasts, especially for music (btw, Radio Garden is a terrific site!)

- Hv True online fibre, but no other True products.

In fact, am beginning to appreciate the complexity of getting an optimal set-up.  As for many things, cost against ease ....!

Rs

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Henryford said:

I just got AISPlay, it's great, only 199 baht a month. Has the major sports channels, very good quality, (great coverage of the recent Olympics) plus movies, Natgeo, Thai channels etc. You need an AIS Sim number though.

Please be aware that...

Channels FOX Movies, FOX Action Movies, FOX Family Movies, FOX Life, FOX Sports 1, FOX Sports 2, FOX Sports 3, National Geographic, Nat Geo Wild, Baby TV, Star Chinese Movies will be discontinued till 1st October, 2021. No clue what that means exactly. Unavailable now, but will be as ov 1-10-21, or available now until 30-9-21?

https://www.ais.th/play/en/package.html

2 hours ago, RickSee said:

In fact, am beginning to appreciate the complexity of getting an optimal set-up. 

And an hour after you get the optimal set-up it'll require another week of re-tuning.

I'd make a list of the exact channels, streaming sources and specialized content you want, then start cobbling together solution(s).

AIS does offer Disney + Hotstar, their AIS Play offer may be losing channels soon, not sure about replacement. But check it out via your SIM for a month, cast to Chromecast.

TrueVisions does offer some American football, and F1 and golf/tennis majors.

For American football sign up for the free version of NFL GamePass International (no live regular season games - well maybe a few on NFL Network, but the do offer recaps, , or the full package at $199.99.

And look at the IPTV offers, and consider a more sophisticated Android streaming device/box.

And search through the sub-forums: Audio Visual, IT (this one) where you will find a lot of great detail from other members.

Edited by mtls2005
  • Like 1

22 hours ago, sanuk711 said:

When everyone talks about join this for just $99 or buy this box  etc ....

Can some one name me any program that I can not get free from the internet.

Have a look at the "What Movies or TV shows are you watching" Thread here on Thai.Visa

I download the UK football and watch it while having breakfast--because I don't want to sit up half the night.  Pacquiao fight yesterday, Movies tonight--any one I want. & catch up on some TV programs in-between reading the latest world newspapers. My daughter wanted to see Swan Lake--took 3 minutes to find a copy and download for her.

I really think most people tend to overthink --what is really a simple solution.

I agree with most of what you've said.

Live sport however can be different though.

I do download UFC and can watch a 3.5 event in an hour when cutting out all of the promotional stuff.

Test cricket is one sport where you cannot really download.

For Australian Rules Football, I subscribe to a licensed package from Australia for people living overseas.

It cost around 4000 Baht and for that you get all of the games live and the sporting shows as well.

I know you can find games for free on the internet, but for 4000, I can't be bothered putting up with pop ups, buffering and drop outs.

It's money well spent IMO.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, mtls2005 said:

Please be aware that...

Channels FOX Movies, FOX Action Movies, FOX Family Movies, FOX Life, FOX Sports 1, FOX Sports 2, FOX Sports 3, National Geographic, Nat Geo Wild, Baby TV, Star Chinese Movies will be discontinued till 1st October, 2021. No clue what that means exactly. Unavailable now, but will be as ov 1-10-21, or available now until 30-9-21?

https://www.ais.th/play/en/package.html

And an hour after you get the optimal set-up it'll require another week of re-tuning.

I'd make a list of the exact channels, streaming sources and specialized content you want, then start cobbling together solution(s).

AIS does offer Disney + Hotstar, their AIS Play offer may be losing channels soon, not sure about replacement. But check it out via your SIM for a month, cast to Chromecast.

Well the AISPlay sports channels are still available now so maybe it means closed FROM 1.10.21 which would be a big downgrade. I probably wouldn't keep it if that is the case.

15 hours ago, RickSee said:

- Not sure of the chromecast versions, though they were bought 4-5 years ago

Maybe have a look at the most recent iteration, "Chromecast with Google TV" (CCGTV), I finally upgraded to this,and have been pleased so far. Less than 3,000 here.

shorturl.at/qvxzE

Plenty of reviews on Youtube.

15 hours ago, RickSee said:

Netflix connected thru the smart TV app.

I find casting Netflix from my phone is much, much better than using my TV's native Netflix (or Youtube) app. The phone acts as a much better "remote". But now I just use my CCGTV.

Edited by mtls2005

On 8/22/2021 at 8:47 PM, Scouse123 said:

Guys,

For use in Thailand, I want to say first to the OP I am not a techy or techy minded but I know the basics and can make my way around a computer.

I listened on TVF and to others and tried nearly every system going.

The last three years I have been with a service from a guy called Eric. He is a European based in Thailand.

I get UK, USA, Aussie sports.I get my beloved football. I get movies, (old, new and Netflix,) TV series old and new. I get catchup service. I get PPV, pay per view, services and although not in the deal, usually free. He has a multi channel back up on important channels, in case a channel fails.

Good layout, interface and easy to operate.

I have a fantastic back up service and have recommended this man to others on TVF and have had no complaints so far. He charges 600 baht a month for all the lot plus he is available on Line service and email in the event of problems. The maximum he asks for is a three months deal.

He can supply you with the android boxes and suitable equipment or you can use your own. He is not pushy.

There are those that just refuse to pay for any kind of IPTV service and are prepared to mess around and playing around weekly to get free service etc I don't have the time or inclination to do this.

Anybody wants his service, send a PM to me on here.

I have no financial interest in this IPTV service I speak about whatsoever nor am I am agent, I am a customer.

This is an excellent deal, but for some reason people are so scared to go down this route, I don’t know why? I don’t need the service but if I did then I would look to these servers. 

There is also a guy in Thailand that offers this service that I found on Facebook. A lot of these servers offer automated requests, so if you want older movies there is an option, for any better than being stuck with Netflix generic selection. 

• Like 1

Struggling to understand the point of tlc's reply below. All the op needs is a paid for IPTV sub that allows two views at a time. The rest is all showing off isn't it?

On 8/22/2021 at 6:28 PM, RickSee said:

Would like to expand TV viewing options for both TVs to also get some US, UK and European programming, including news and major sporting events (eg.  football - both varieties - and major golf), and perhaps additional movie choices. 

On 8/23/2021 at 8:58 AM, tlcwaterfall said:

Kodi gives me all the  movies, tv shows, documentaries and live tv I could ever need. Plus around 20 terabytes of Movies, tv shows etc. as a back up.

Have a Nvidia shield, a couple of firesticks and windows laptop.

Iptv services are worth considering along with a plex subscription.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 8/22/2021 at 8:13 PM, sungod said:

I found it better to just subscribe to a TV service, everything in one place with nice interface. Selection of channels is far superior too.

How many channels do you want?

On 8/23/2021 at 10:40 AM, 1FinickyOne said:

let me know how you like it... I am listening to John Prine now and often sleep at night to Mozart

They also have a pay option which allows you to download songs for free. I am beefing up a playlist and will go to pay option soon.

I also listen to Classical music as I am going to kip.......from flacs I have downloaded via torrents. 

Most are also available on You Tube....free!