Marriage Extension Question.

If shove came to push and I needed to touch the 400,000 in the bank before the under consideration stamp was obtained, what are the chances the IO would ask for me to confirm it's still untouched prior to getting the final stamp? It's just a question and I don't need to touch my money.

In Tha Yang (Phetchaburi) IO, they accepted a bank statement & bank letter which I got from Bangkok Bank the day before, ONLY AFTER I went to the local BKK Bank, made a transaction & brought back my updated bank book that day.

For my last extension, I got a bank letter & statement on the day I applied for the extension & I did not have to make a transaction at the local branch that day.

In both cases, it was only after the above, that they gave me the "Under Consideration" stamp. 

So do not touch your money until after you get that stamp. You should also be aware that, as I understand it, you should keep the THB400k in your bank -

> for two months PRIOR to the application

> for one month AFTER the application (although I have not had my bank account checked by the IO for this, unless they do it through the banks - but I doubt this.)

16 minutes ago, Lapun said:

In Tha Yang (Phetchaburi) IO, they accepted a bank statement & bank letter which I got from Bangkok Bank the day before, ONLY AFTER I went to the local BKK Bank, made a transaction & brought back my updated bank book that day.

For my last extension, I got a bank letter & statement on the day I applied for the extension & I did not have to make a transaction at the local branch that day.

In both cases, it was only after the above, that they gave me the "Under Consideration" stamp. 

So do not touch your money until after you get that stamp. You should also be aware that, as I understand it, you should keep the THB400k in your bank -

> for two months PRIOR to the application

> for one month AFTER the application (although I have not had my bank account checked by the IO for this, unless they do it through the banks - but I doubt this.)

So does this mean that you have 9 months in which to spend then replenish the 400k, whereas if you are on retirement, you only have 7 months to do the same? (2 months before & 3 months after)

First “it’s push comes to shove”

you must have it in the account for at least 3 months at the time (date) you apply at immigration…

at CM, I have not known them to check on the date you go back in to pick it up. This usually is 30 days give it take a day from the date you applied. 

who knows if they check it again during the 30 day under review but that would mean a phone call call to the bank…what would that accomplish as long as you have it in the account for 90 days prior to the day of application 

the bigger question is checking again on the date you get the stamp of approval. The approval has already been done in Bangkok so I don’t think you are in any legal violation on the date you go in to receive your stamp as this is at a minimum now 120 days from the date of applying…

never heard of a case in CM of immigration asking for proof again on pick up day given that you successfully met their requirements when they received your application 

My last marriage extension at Chanthaburi, submitted the bank letter, got the Under Consideration stamp, got a call 4 days later saying I needed to produce my bank passbook. This was requested from Bangkok. 

18 hours ago, Dmaxdan said:

I believe immigration does has the authority to check the balance of your account whilst you are under consideration.

In fact I know someone who a few years ago foolishly withdrew money from their account whilst they were under consideration and they were called in by immigration before the date stamped in their passport to be told their marriage extension application had been refused because their funds had dropped below 400,000 baht.

This was at Chiang Mai immigration.

I actually stop and update my bank book on route to immigration on the day my under consideration period ends.

I've never been told to do this or have I read that it is necessary, I just think it pays to think ahead and be prepared because one day....

Never had any check nor request for an update during the last 25 years from CNX immigration. Yes, when I applied all was checked but never a month later when I went for my extension.

33 minutes ago, roobaa01 said:

The seasoning period is measured in days or months i.e. 13.7 to 13.9 =62 days so more than 2 months

The immigration order states it is 2 months not 60 days.

If you put the money in the bank today (August 24th) you could apply for the extension on the 24th of October.

At  my last extension for marriage (in May) Chiangmai Immigration required me to have the Thb400000 in the bank for 3 months,. "Rules have changed" said the IO. Also, I had to produce copies of ALL the pages of my bank book, (going back over 2 years+). I was instructed to bring my bank book when returning at the end of the "under consideration" period. On doing so, the IO (a different one) handed my book back unexamined with the query"what's that for?"

I think IOs make up rules as they feel like it.

On 8/24/2021 at 9:59 PM, Maybole said:

At  my last extension for marriage (in May) Chiangmai Immigration required me to have the Thb400000 in the bank for 3 months,. "Rules have changed" said the IO. Also, I had to produce copies of ALL the pages of my bank book, (going back over 2 years+). I was instructed to bring my bank book when returning at the end of the "under consideration" period. On doing so, the IO (a different one) handed my book back unexamined with the query"what's that for?"

Yes in my very limited experience they don't all appear to know the rules. Many a time I have asked a question to confirm something and they gave me a different answer or weren't sure.

On 8/24/2021 at 9:59 PM, Maybole said:

I hope this isn't the case as I am thinking the monthly salary route is too messy and so I'm thinking of going down the 400k cash route again but only have about 2.5 months left before I need to apply (and I haven't put the 400k in my account yet).

I guess the fallback option is the monthly salary option if worst comes to worst.

5 minutes ago, stament said:

I hope this isn't the case as I am thinking the monthly salary route is too messy and so I'm thinking of going down the 400k cash route again but only have about 2.5 months left before I need to apply (and I haven't put the 400k in my account yet).

It has not been changed. It is still 2 months on the day you apply. 

Reading that earlier post I think the office included the 30 days under consideration period that some office require for the 400k baht to be in the bank after applying.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

It has not been changed. It is still 2 months on the day you apply. 

Reading that earlier post I think the office included the 30 days under consideration period that some office require for the 400k baht to be in the bank after applying.

Thanks Joe, reassuring.  According to a previous post the requirement for the extension when married via the cash route are are 2 copies of everything below per below:

• Completed TM7 application form.
  • Proof of 400k baht in the bank for 2 months by way of a letter from your bank and your bank book
  • Copies of your passport photo page and every page that has any stamp or visa for Thailand on it.
  • Copy of TM6 departure card.
  • Marriage certificate and a updated Kor Ror 2 marriage registry (Kor Ror 22 for foreign marriages)
  • Copies of your wife's house book registry and ID card.
  • Photos of you, wife and kids in and around the house. One must show you both with the house number shown in it. 
  • Map to your residence from the nearest main road or street along with GPS coordinates.  Recommended you add home GPS coordinates on your smart phone as the Immigration officers normally ask for you to show them on your phone.
  • Proof of residence if not living where your wife's house book is for.
  • If you have kids you need copies of all their details - birth certificate, ID, etc. 

Is anything missing @ubonjoe  Is a tax return required if you do the 400k option?  Guessing no but one can never assume.

Thanks in advance

Thanks in advance

@IvorBiggun2

Last year, when I did my Extension of Stay based in Marriage at Buriram Immigration, they told me on the day of the application to bring them a statement (read: Bank letter) 3 weeks after the application, to check if the money was still in the account.

This year they didn't ask me! So TiT!

• Like 1