If a Brit gets 2 AZ jabs in Bangkok, does he still self isolate for 10 days in UK?

Noisyaircon2020

Hi,

From what I have read on the gov.uk website, Britons going back to the UK from Thailand currently need to self isolate for 10 days in accordance with amber list rules.

Can anyone clear this up for me, it seems that either:

A. Only Britons entering the UK from am amber list country who have been vaccinated by the NHS in the UK can skip self isolation, provided they have a Day 2 negative test result.

B. Only Britons coming from Europe or the USA and with an approved vaccine set given over 14 days ago, can skip self isolation if coming from an amber country and having a negative Day 2 test.

So...

If a Briton has been double jabbed with Astrazeneca in Thailand, as it is outside of the EU and the US we would still need to self isolate for 10 days in the UK, DESPITE having received both Astrazeneca jabs?

Thank you all.

17 hours ago, Noisyaircon2020 said:

If a Briton has been double jabbed with Astrazeneca in Thailand, as it is outside of the EU and the US we would still need to self isolate for 10 days in the UK, DESPITE having received both Astrazeneca jabs?

Yes.  Although you could reduce it in England at least using the Day 5 Test to Release option.

• Like 2

Have you had two shots yet? w\What documents do you have to prove it? I only ask as I am a Brit thinking of popping back to the mother country too. I get my second AZ jab next month.

I got a piece of paper after the first one, saying when the second one is but it doesn't look very official and I don't know if the UK authorities would be ok with it. I guess it doesn't matter too much as we would still have to quarantine for 10 days (or 5 if you take that option).

• Like 1

On 8/24/2021 at 10:42 AM, VocalNeal said:

Was it AZ or Sinovac in a fake AZ bottle. 

You see the dilemma for the UK authorities.

Be sure to travel with your genuine Louis Vuitton luggage

Also from Bangkok, a bargain from Chatuchak.... 

On 8/24/2021 at 3:39 AM, Noisyaircon2020 said:

It has nothing to to with the type of jab, AZ or pfizer, irrelevant. It is all about verification.

I am in the UK now and have been through this.. I had my first AZ jab in Thailand on 7th June and went to a walk in in London a few days after arriving. She refused to vaccinate me as I could not get the app to open and she had to verify the 8 week gap. I had a screenshot but she wanted to see it in real time.

Two days later I went to a walk in Sheffield and by this time I had resolved the problem with the app. There they weren't interested in the app, said it was a different system and didn't mean anything. They accepted what I said on the first dose and gave me the second. They gave me a card indicating I have had the 2nd dose but it is of no use outside the UK.

The only arrangements on vaccine recognition for travel the UK has is with the EU and US, and many are complaining about the lack of control on that. It will be a long time before countries like Thailand will get to join the club.

You do not need to isolate for the 10 days, you can take a Day 5 Test to Release and finish early. I did a TTR with same day results and finished on the morning of Day 6.

If you have difficulty self isolating let me know and I can give you some info, I did it at the Holiday Inn at Gatwick.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, chilly07 said:

You can still carry the virus even if you have been double jabbed. If you have to travel do the quarantine!

absolutely. and if you are returning to the UK the NHS are checking people are at the address on their location form. and they are fining people who are not; 1000 GBP for a first offence, rising to a maximum on 10,000 GBP for further infringements.

Edited by it is what it is

2 hours ago, it is what it is said:

yes, you do, it's quite clear from the guidelines, though you could reduce the time using test to release.

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/red-amber-and-green-list-rules-for-entering-england

I came back 3 weeks ago

Day 2 Negative 

Day 5 Negative (ended isolation)

Day 8 Negative

Day 9 (home test) Positive!

Day 10 PCR Test Positive 

Back to isolation 

• Confused 1
  • Sad 2

5 hours ago, sandyf said:

You do not need to isolate for the 10 days, you can take a Day 5 Test to Release and finish early. I did a TTR with same day results and finished on the morning of Day 6.

Not sure where the OP is from, but this is only valid in England.  Anyone travelling to other areas of the UK will have to do the full 10 days.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

My sister, who has been double jabbed in Dubai (well quadruple jabbed as she was part of the trials in Dubai last year). She returned to UK and still had to isolate for 10 days, this isolation started when she reached her home after landing in Heathrow, travelling by tube to Kings Cross, then train up north 250 miles? seems pointless to me.

A friend returning to the UK from the Philippines without any vaccinations didn't want to do the quarantine in a UK hotel so choose to stay in Dubai for the required 10 days, then return to the UK with the same isolation rules as my sister.

My sister did the full 10 days in isolation, but her husband who returned later will pay for the test and hopefully be released earlier. In the 10 days no one contacted my sister to verify she was isolating in her home but they called her husband after 2 days.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, theoldgit said:

We are considering that one, is this the same one? 
https://higatwickairporthotel.co.uk/offers/self-isolation-hotel-package/

Yes, the info is not very good. I queried the 5 day/10 days and they said they would charge on a nightly basis, I did 6 nights.

The food arrangement is very good, you just choose from the normal menu with an allowance of £15 for lunch and £20 for evening. Only downside is that if there a lot of people on room service it can be getting a bit cool by the time you get it, not a problem for lunch. 

You also get a complimentary laundry on a once per week basis.

• Thanks 1

Red list rules

What you must do if you have been in a country or territory on the red list in the 10 days before you arrive in England.

You must follow these rules even if you have been fully vaccinated.

If you have been in a country or territory on the red list in the last 10 days you will only be allowed to enter the UK if you are a British or Irish National, or you have residence rights in the UK.

There is separate guidance on what you need to do if you are travelling abroad from England.

Before you travel to England

Before you travel to England you must:

When you arrive in England

When you arrive in England you must:

Source: https://www.gov.uk/guidance/red-amber-and-green-list-rules-for-entering-england#red-list-rules