Koh Phangan: Foreigners continually breaking the Covid-19 rules test the patience of district chief

webfact

4 hours ago, 4MyEgo said:

One word, "Deport", simple really.

Yes, deport every foreigner that bends the rules. Wrong.  Simple, fines. Fine everyone, including locals, who break the rules also daily, and when you hit the wallet, people learn, with the exception of the very rich, who think they can, and do, get away with most everything, including ruining our planet for profit. If police here wrote tickets for every infraction I see daily, most people would go broke. Yes, the air would be cleaner,(rampant unnecessary burning), many less will die from scooter accidents (helmets wearing), beaches would be cleaner,(proper disposal of trash), but then you take money from the millions of poor, most of whom were never taught proper drivers ed, garbage trucks being non existant in the country.  Other, more dangerous offenses where some officials turn a blind eye because of profit will never stop.

• Confused 2

4 hours ago, ezzra said:

When you're desperate for tourists dollar, you get all sorts of them, anywhere between the orderly ones to the I don't give a cr*p I'm here to have good time, there's a need to balanced approach handling these issue, too harsh and you scare them away, too lenient and you get these kind of doofus...

They are not tourist but local farange visitors.

You just do not know when you will get the covid. A friend from Great Britian but lives and works in the states as a nurse. She has been working in critical care for the last year and a half, she has followed all the rules and not been infected. She took alittle trip home and contacted the covid at a party outside the house, her mother also became ill but both had been given the shot. No matter the stuff people say her you can and will get the covid no matter how safe you think you are and how much the rules do not apply to you

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

IN the mean time, in Satun, in a big can factory, they found 30-ties of the employees infected with covid.

Factory is still running as there are more employees left to work.

Koh Lipe is in lockdown as of covid infections, also 30-ties people.

I rest my case.  

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

1 minute ago, malthebluff said:

Would this have made the news if it was  5/6 thai people that were on a secluded beach in the open air

Of course not. 

If I go outside now and cycle around our village I would see plenty of groups of Thai people hanging around chatting, eating and even, in the evenings at the local ma and pa shops, drinking alcohol . 

I have to go to the market later and it's always packed with people and none are doing any social distancing. There are even 2 small bars open and stall holders having drinking beer on their food stalls with their mates from other stalls.....all while they serve customers.

My neighbour right now is a village official and he has a BBQ going all day with About 12 of his other mates joining in and random people arriving and leaving.

If I took a photo of any of these people and sent it to a newspaper do you think it would be published .......

Or probably I would be the one in the wrong and be charged with defamation...and every Thai neighbour would hate me.....and rightly so...lol.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, ikke1959 said:

wait a minute.. a difficult spot to reach, no access for vehicles, a group of 5/6 foreigners.... What is the problem? They are not sitting in a bar, but in open space, they can not infect someone , because no one will come there. In  other places like the hotels in Panggna or Phuket it seems more dangerous than on a desolated beach... But of course foreigners, not even tourists ..... not allowed.. but Thais sitting together under  a tree in or around a village ... no problem

I agree. Is there to be no balance at all in all of this? I sympathise a little with these people given the precise circumstances here. I understand though, there is a principle involved and there cannot a be a law for some and not for others. 

If I am the Enforcer there, I think I give them a warning! And maybe no need to create a National Headline from it!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Kaopad999 said:

Many western countries are open again. So, surely if they want to live this type of lifestyle, they can just go back home. But instead they decide to stay here and break the law? I don't get it! 

"These foreigners are not tourists in the usual sense of the word - they live on Koh Phangan, notes ASEAN NOW."

Its difficult trying to simultaneously promote Thailand Islands as open for tourism and then harang foreigner tourists for not wearing masks. Maybe it would be better just to tell foreigners that they aren't welcome until the islanders are hungry enough to start canabilizing each other and therefore become a bit more tourist tolerant. If the foreign media carry these reports back to their home countries then it will be the Thais that will be wringing their hands again. Either the population is vaccinated enough to open for tourism  or it isn't.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, fredwiggy said:

Yes, deport every foreigner that bends the rules. Wrong.  Simple, fines. Fine everyone, including locals, who break the rules also daily, and when you hit the wallet, people learn, with the exception of the very rich, who think they can, and do, get away with most everything, including ruining our planet for profit. If police here wrote tickets for every infraction I see daily, most people would go broke. Yes, the air would be cleaner,(rampant unnecessary burning), many less will die from scooter accidents (helmets wearing), beaches would be cleaner,(proper disposal of trash), but then you take money from the millions of poor, most of whom were never taught proper drivers ed, garbage trucks being non existant in the country.  Other, more dangerous offenses where some officials turn a blind eye because of profit will never stop.

Deport !

6 hours ago, Kaopad999 said:

Many western countries are open again. So, surely if they want to live this type of lifestyle, they can just go back home. But instead they decide to stay here and break the law? I don't get it! 

I get it! They are most probably high on something... 

• Confused 1

6 hours ago, ikke1959 said:

wait a minute.. a difficult spot to reach, no access for vehicles, a group of 5/6 foreigners.... What is the problem? They are not sitting in a bar, but in open space, they can not infect someone , because no one will come there. In  other places like the hotels in Panggna or Phuket it seems more dangerous than on a desolated beach... But of course foreigners, not even tourists ..... not allowed.. but Thais sitting together under  a tree in or around a village ... no problem

It would seem like they were self isolating? Who are they going to infect? Pathetic pantomime. And bring the press along for a photo op. Another opportunity to have a go at the falang. It makes a good read. Forget about the locals. No one wants to read about them.????????

• Like 2
  • Sad 1