COVID patients with high blood pressure make up majority of deaths

snoop1130

i am on the edge of hypertension with about 130/90 so i take a small dose of lisinopril (5mg).  that gets me down to about 115/80.  i also take a statin for (10mg crestor) for cholesterol.  i've read that taking these helps the survival rate in case of covid infection.

https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/blood-pressure-drugs-may-improve-covid-19-survival

https://www.healthline.com/health-news/statins-may-reduce-the-risk-of-covid-19-death-by-41-percent-heres-why

Edited by buick

54 minutes ago, whiteman said:

When I went to get my first shot in the arm they never even tested my blood pressure or weighed me.

Nor me. I found that a bit strange but then thought nothing of it. They did ask me my weight though and wrote it down.

16 hours ago, ikke1959 said:

High bloodpressure is a deadly killer, but I have never read in the western newspaper that it is more deadly with Covid. That is a Thai invention I think

You are kidding right?  It’s far worse than C19

1 hour ago, Guderian said:

As with so much else in the vaccination rollout here, this makes a mockery of what they're doing. I don't know about the mass vacination places like Bang Sue, but all the hospitals seem to insist on taking your BP before they will give you a vaccine. If they regard the reading as being unacceptably high, you're told to sit and wait for a while to relax and allow it to go down to normal. In theory, if it doesn't go down to whatever they regard as an acceptable level, then they will turn you away unvaccinated and tell you to come back. I've heard of this happening to a Thai lady, but not to any expats so far. But why bother if BP is such a major risk, surely it's best for people to get vaccinated against Covid regardless of how high their BP is. You could even argue that people with abnormally high BP should have the waiting period for the second dose reduced (from 12 weeks in the case of AZ) to help give them maximum protection ASAP. Instead, they're refusing to vaccinate the group they now claim are among the most vulnerable. Ting tong, or what?

I had just such a problem. Normally my BP is within an acceptable range, (yesterday 117/73 today 121/81), but at the hospital getting the first jab it was nearly 200/90 and all because of anxiety about 1) getting my BP read at a hospital (aka white coat syndrome) and 2) having stressed for three or more months about not getting a valid appointment, and which brand I would get. I had to have 3 or 4 goes at it, until it became "acceptable". It's completely ridiculous, and although the nurses were sympathetic, (there were a few others like me in the "naughty seats"), the relevance to inoculation seems tenuous at best, slowing down what is already a grindingly slow process anyway.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Guderian said:

As with so much else in the vaccination rollout here, this makes a mockery of what they're doing. I don't know about the mass vacination places like Bang Sue, but all the hospitals seem to insist on taking your BP before they will give you a vaccine. If they regard the reading as being unacceptably high, you're told to sit and wait for a while to relax and allow it to go down to normal. In theory, if it doesn't go down to whatever they regard as an acceptable level, then they will turn you away unvaccinated and tell you to come back. I've heard of this happening to a Thai lady, but not to any expats so far. But why bother if BP is such a major risk, surely it's best for people to get vaccinated against Covid regardless of how high their BP is. You could even argue that people with abnormally high BP should have the waiting period for the second dose reduced (from 12 weeks in the case of AZ) to help give them maximum protection ASAP. Instead, they're refusing to vaccinate the group they now claim are among the most vulnerable. Ting tong, or what?

The COVID-19 vaccine does not appear to directly affect blood pressure. However, a very small number of individuals may experience an increase in their blood pressure if they are extremely anxious or have a strong pain response when they get the vaccine. Hence, the wait to get blood pressure stabilize. If doctors suspect vaccine will do more harm than good to the individual due to his existing medical condition, they have the right to refuse to do the vaccination. 

My normal bloodpressure is 160/90 and I am 62 years old and never a problem in the hospital or when I got my vaccine.. High bloodpressure is dangerous for your heart or for a stroke, but you don't die because you have high bloodpressure, but because it caused something. and yes therefor it is dangerous with Covid because it could trigger something, but not you died because of high bloodpressure

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Guderian said:

... all the hospitals seem to insist on taking your BP before they will give you a vaccine. If they regard the reading as being unacceptably high, you're told to sit and wait for a while to relax and allow it to go down to normal. In theory, if it doesn't go down to whatever they regard as an acceptable level, then they will turn you away unvaccinated and tell you to come back. I've heard of this happening to a Thai lady, but not to any expats so far. But why bother if BP is such a major risk, surely it's best for people to get vaccinated against Covid regardless of how high their BP is.

Sadly, this is never very simple.  My understanding is European experience has seen cases of people with pre-conditions, where high blood pressure was a symptom, had very serious side effect problems because of the vaccine jab, and the medical view is if they had waited for blood pressure to drop prior to jabbing, then the very serious side effects would not have happened. 

When ever side effects are too serious, the press jumps all over the vaccination, and the entire vaccination drive can be halted, while there are investigations, and hundreds/thousands of vaccinations are delayed as a result of one case (giving a jab too soon after high blood pressure).  ....

Hence the desire to lower blood pressure first.

3 hours ago, Guderian said:

You could even argue that people with abnormally high BP should have the waiting period for the second dose reduced (from 12 weeks in the case of AZ) to help give them maximum protection ASAP. Instead, they're refusing to vaccinate the group they now claim are among the most vulnerable. Ting tong, or what?

Again , IMHO not so simple.  Studies have show the longer one waits for the 2nd jab of AZ (after the first jab) the more effective AZ is wrt preventing infection, more effective of reducing serious illness, and more effective in reducing risk of death.  That then suggests wait 12 to 16 weeks.

.... Of course, the other side of the coin, while waiting for the 2nd jab of AZ, one can catch the virus and die.  That suggests get an earlier 2nd jab (8 weeks or sooner).

.... So its not an easy call. 

How long to wait ?  Those with high blood pressure will benefit from waiting, if they don't die first.   If they die first, the 2nd jab won't help.

These are very surreal times.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, LongTimeLurker66 said:

Should people be required to have a health and fitness pass in order to eat fatty food? They are a huge liability to the health system.

With respect, so are those who take in SUGAR as in Thailand where there are many. 

• Like 1

On 8/24/2021 at 7:30 AM, ukrules said:

Me too, my BP always reads about 120/80 so it's never high, in fact this is the optimal range for Blood Pressure but if I stopped taking certain drugs daily I know it would rise far higher than this.

So I do have 'high blood pressure' but it's never actually higher than the optimal range.

120/80 is considered as "normal" but not optimal. Optimal blood pressure is in the range of 90/60 to less than 120/80.  Just how much  less than 120/80 is questionable..

• Like 1

1 hour ago, kokopelli said:

120/80 is considered as "normal" but not optimal. Optimal blood pressure is in the range of 90/60 to less than 120/80.  Just how much  less than 120/80 is questionable..

Sure, it's all ranges. They told me something very different 15 years ago before all the ranges were completely altered.

Makes you wonder what else they've been wrong about for decades....also makes me wonder if they're right about it now...