PM speaks of "New Thailand" and Anutin suggests mall and restaurant opening imminent

webfact

6 hours ago, RotBenz8888 said:

Malls reopen but not schools? 

My thoughts, too. I remember sometime ago they wanted all teachers to be vaccinated in order to reopen schools. but that seems to have been lost in the shambles.

4 minutes ago, Kadilo said:

We said. 

Fortunately  apart from this platform no one probably gives a hoot what they say and it won’t influence the decision making one iota. 

Fortunately, a lot of us are in a position to choose where to live.

I have a funny feeling the Thailand fan boys don't have a plan B.

They burnt their bridges years ago and bet the house, literally, on their titty bar or ex bargirl wife.

1 minute ago, Ginner said:

My thoughts, too. I remember sometime ago they wanted all teachers to be vaccinated in order to reopen schools. but that seems to have been lost in the shambles.

Its a shambles from here to Afghanistan, we have to try to keep our chin up.

5 hours ago, cclub75 said:

However, it's easy to bet : the circus is likely to continue... for schools ! Closure. Pseudo "online" classes instead (so wrong for young children).

Why do you say this … I have a 7 year old neice who gets 4x1-hour online sessions a day …. and from my observations the teachers are doing a good job ….. especially so as most were not initially trained in this pedagogy.

I suspect the future will be a blended approach to teaching and learning …. some face-to-face in a physical school …. some online …. and some self directed or from 3rd party organisation’s ….. how much of each depending on students’ ages.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, StayinThailand2much said:

That's why I never bought a calculator in Thailand. They're all broken...

The problem is that they try to use these new-fangled things with Roman numerals and get confused. There must be a market for calculators with Thai numerals - you know, the numerals they use to try and hide double-pricing from foreigners.

• Like 1

Despite probably being a bad idea I'll look forward to a little resemble of normalcy.

Hoping to hang out in Hua Hin with the family.

Stay safe, keep to ourselves, play on the beach with the jelly fish.

8 minutes ago, csmith said:

Why do you say this … I have a 7 year old neice who gets 4x1-hour online sessions a day …. and from my observations the teachers are doing a good job ….. especially so as most were not initially trained in this pedagogy.

I suspect the future will be a blended approach to teaching and learning …. some face-to-face in a physical school …. some online …. and some self directed or from 3rd party organisation’s ….. how much of each depending on students’ ages.

Well, the question is not to ask... are the teachers doing a good job. But instead, what your niece is thinking about it ?

Don't you think ?

To prevent a child 7 years old to see/touch/interact with in real other children and adults (teachers in the schools) is deeply twisted and detrimental to the child developpment.

It's so obvious, it's very weird to write it...

Online teaching is certainly ok for teenagers and of course students (universities)... but for children in primary... it's really a collective crime we're committing.

And the word is not too strong.

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, ThailandRyan said:

Claims and promises by Prayut.  When has ever fulfilled any of those promises.  Has he returned happiness to the people, has he stopped the corruption, and better yet has he succeeded in helping out the lesser than people who are caught in this terrible Covid closure of the country and who have lost everything?  He claimed that covid would be contained, he claimed that it was 100% under control, and then he encouraged travel during Songkran and said "It will be what it will be", his claims and promises ring hollow, and he has brought the people to the boiling point, but instead of seeing the error of his ways he has the police summons the parents of the protestors who are minors.  Sad state of affairs and my heart goes out to the people of the country I now call my home.

For all his faults and there are clearly many, he now wants to open the country up while many others who post on here still want to batten down the hatches. 

How is that going to be ‘ helping out the lesser than people who are caught in this terrible Covid closure of the country and who have lost everything?’ 

Should  they not face criticism too?

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, Kadilo said:

For all his faults and there are clearly many, he now wants to open the country up while many others who post on here still want to batten down the hatches. 

How is that going to be ‘ helping out the lesser than people who are caught in this terrible Covid closure of the country and who have lost everything?’ 

Should  they not face criticism too?

Yes he wants to open the country but only “post pandemic” the same as all of us. It is not post pandemic yet.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Kadilo said:

I’m confident they wil follow shortly. 

Sure do hope so Kads. My daughter is attending full time on line schooling as she is in an International school but I see in our village loads of the Thai kids playing out all day and doing very little schooling if any as they don't have on line facility. This will come back and bite the Thai economy when these kids come to leave school

To accomplish this the media will need to stop publishing The Daily

Scare Score like:  COVID-19: Thailand reports 20,059 recoveries and 17,165 coronavirus cases.  Those daily headline will need to disappear. And by the way - how can you one day say 20,000 cases a day (or 15,000 or 10,000 or 5,000) is the cause for lockdown - and the next day - ignore those 20,000 (or 15,000 or 10,000 or 5,000) cases a day that were used as lockdown justification and then say:  "All is well! No problem anymore. Alle Alle In Come Free."

Then people like me look at this and say, "You can't have it both ways and maintain public trust."
Which is why we question the veracity of this entire dog and pony show as it progresses along in a rather predictable pattern.  Restrictions have to be relaxed so that they can be imposed again with a new narrative like "Covid-2021 will kill us all!!!"  I don't get whip-sawed back and forth with this rhetoric.  I'm sorry others do.  It's incredibly effective.
I expect them to pull out Vaccine Passports restrictions that will allow less then 20% of the country who are double-jabbed - the New Thailand - the freedom of movement to enter public spaces (restaurants, movies, etc).  Why?  This administration doesn't think things through.  They'll allow "freedoms" to the minority of double-jabbed and impose restrictions on the majority when the majority haven't had access to vaccinations.  What will result from that particular cluster-youknowwhat.  I bet they do just that.  What good is unlimited power over the plebs if you can't use it?  Anutin and friends won't be able to restrain themselves from pulling that dictate out too quickly.  Well, imho. 

1 hour ago, Captain Monday said:

Western governments claimed if we can get to "herd" immunity we could return to normal. Delta changed everything. I get Australia ABC on my cable service here in Thailand now the PM is making little more than vague promises of ANY loosening even IF they get to 70 percent. In my country USA the deplorables,  up to 30 percent have the best vaccines served free on a silver platter, they absolutely won't take it. That "herd" will be thinned out. Israel, Iceland, isolatable islands like Guam everywhere they got high vaccine acceptance there are huge spikes. Lock downs don't work, unless they are so strict most regions cant bear them, and they only prolong the inevitable. We are all going to get it or be exposed to it and it will become endemic for out lifetimes unless there is some new vaccine that blocks all corona viruses. Ever heard of the common cold?

Yes vaccinate of course to reduce hospitalization and death but the virus is not going away. There is no herd immunity. Got to change the strategies and governments need to change their messaging Return to normal  economic life and open all borders while making the best effort to protect the vulnerable. We have to learn to live with it or this madness will never end.

Correct, vaccines do reduce hospitalisation, so the smartest move is to try to get to 70% of the population vaccinated asap. The economy won't magically flourish if there is a rapid increase in deaths. Trying to save money buy stalling on vaccine procurement is what caused this mess, they need to spend money supporting the people or else they will just continue to sink further into the mud. 

6 hours ago, neillyweilly said:

So you can only go to a restaurant or mall if you are fully vaccinated? 

(1) What are the implications of a two-tier society where the vaccinated and the un-vaccinated are separated?  

(2) Who is left to police the policy? The owner of the restaurant who is almost broke; the security guard in the mall?

Looks like we are about to enter a very new Thailand indeed. 

Look, how Western countries manage this. 

There is no problem at all. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, neillyweilly said:

(1) What are the implications of a two-tier society where the vaccinated and the un-vaccinated are separated?  

(2) Who is left to police the policy? The owner of the restaurant who is almost broke; the security guard in the mall?

Or you could get the vax?

1 hour ago, cclub75 said:

Well, the question is not to ask... are the teachers doing a good job. But instead, what your niece is thinking about it ?

Don't you think ?

To prevent a child 7 years old to see/touch/interact with in real other children and adults (teachers in the schools) is deeply twisted and detrimental to the child developpment.

It's so obvious, it's very weird to write it...

Online teaching is certainly ok for teenagers and of course students (universities)... but for children in primary... it's really a collective crime we're committing.

And the word is not too strong.

You started off by asking him to ask his niece, which is not bad advice, but then went on to explain what all 7 year olds are feeling now. 

How many have you asked?

2 minutes ago, neillyweilly said:

There is a problem when only 8% of the population have so far been vaccinated. 

This is unlikely to change very much soon. And if those 8% vaccinated are 87% (i guess) are sinovac, then it brings the total to about 1.6% with perhaps real protection. But its only good for about 8 months. It begs the question, why bother to vaccinate, maybe I'm talking out of turn.

7 hours ago, foreverlomsak said:

well 95,500 times 4,303 times 35 equals millions doesn't it?

500 new jobs for Thais and 95,000 for migrant workers probably.

I believe the plan calls for 95,500 prisoners to be released and initiated into the Royal Thai Police as senior seasoned officers. Each will bring their entourages, which amounts to millions of new jobs and for the public’s benefit a better force with many more experienced police on our roadways to keep us safe. 

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, cclub75 said:

What did we achieve in one month of full closure (BKK and around) ?

Not much. Even... nothing... excepted the despair and economic decline for many people and their families.

You've done the study and concluded that the number of cases would be no different if everything would have stayed open?

Cases were doubling every 18 days. Now they're not. Perhaps it had some effect?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The PM needs to motivate Thais to get vaccinated. Deal should be to loosening restrictions tied to levels of vaccinated. If 40% fully vaccinated then X restrictions lifted, 50% then Y restrictions lifted. Just lifting restrictions with less than 15-20% fully immunized will, like everywhere else on the planet ,

create spikes that fill the hospitals with dead and dying. Trying what has failed EVERYWHERE and expecting another outcome is truly insane and irresponsible.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, neillyweilly said:

Try reading it again: only vaxed for restaurants , nothing about malls

1 hour ago, sawadee1947 said:

What problem, please? 

Prime example the U.S. opens up with 50% vaccinated and covid/delta runs wild with 99% of new cases from the unvaccinated old , young and in-between The <deleted> Chinese vaccines here will be ripe for break through cases. Do you not understand, there are examples all around the globe. Choice is open up know and perhaps 100,000 dead. Stay the course which is bringing down new cases and we lose maybe 20-25K dead. Up to you. Yesterday the US had 178 new cases per 100,000. Thailand had 27 new cases per 100,000 down from a record high 37 per 100K just a few weeks ago. Only a hand full of US states are lower than thailand. Stay the course.