PM speaks of "New Thailand" and Anutin suggests mall and restaurant opening imminent

webfact

11 hours ago, HaoleBoy said:

No mention of % of half / fully vaccinated people in Thailand though.  This is what most western countries based "opening" on ... 50%-70% of adult population.

Yep and the US yesterday had 179 new cases per 100K, Thailand 27 new cases per 100K. Why risk it?

10 hours ago, cclub75 said:

Voila. Shopping malls and restaurants (and domestic airlines probably too).

What did we achieve in one month of full closure (BKK and around) ?

Not much. Even... nothing... excepted the despair and economic decline for many people and their families.

Anyway. Better late than never.

The Covid party is over. Too expensive for a country like Thailand.

However, it's easy to bet : the circus is likely to continue... for schools ! Closure. Pseudo "online" classes instead (so wrong for young children).

Do the math, look at other countries. Thailand's numbers are extremely low in cases / deaths 

7 hours ago, Guderian said:

What light at the end of the tunnel? Is it the drop in daily case numbers from 23,000 to 18,000, which is anyway probably a result of reduced testing for the main part? Or is it the 8.2% of the population that is so far fully vaccinated (including, of course, Prayut and Anutin)? Because I'm not seeing much light this year, to be honest. Drop the restrictions in the coming week, as is being suggested, and then sit back and watch as the new cases and deaths start rocketing upwards again. Unless the Two Stooges are happy to condemn thousands of their countryfolk to an early and unnecessary death, they need to grin and bear the lockdown until they have a large enough portion of the population fully vaccinated, not a paltry 8%! And the snail-like pace of the vaccine rollout is entirely their own fault, there's nobody else to blame, the greed and corruption here is actively destroying the economy and killing innocent people.

smells like election rhetoric to me, could be the start of more back patting and hand shaking on jobs well done

4 hours ago, jazzdog32095 said:

Yep and the US yesterday had 179 new cases per 100K, Thailand 27 new cases per 100K. Why risk it?

What was the percentage of tests that came back positive?

I keep saying that Thailand could reduce their Covid cases to nothing if they'd just quit testing people...  (Well, I haven't actually said that, but you get the point)

Why risk it?  For the same reason they don't have a 25km/hr speed limit.  It would save lives every year.  But there's other considerations.  In the case of opening back up, those "considerations" would be millions of people's jobs and quality of life.

Edited by impulse

20 minutes ago, impulse said:

What was the percentage of tests that came back positive?

I keep saying that Thailand could reduce their Covid cases to nothing if they'd just quit testing people...  (Well, I haven't actually said that, but you get the point)

Why risk it?  For the same reason they don't have a 25km/hr speed limit.  It would save lives every year.  But there's other considerations.  In the case of opening back up, those "considerations" would be millions of people's jobs and quality of life.

Just let it rip, the US has 50% vaccinated with the good stuff and two days ago had

1359 deaths / 567,800 new cases/ 860 per 100K cases. Thailand has 12% vaccinated with vaccines that aren't worth warm ****.  No reason to think that in this culture with people crowded together and many living under the same roof it likely will be worse. How long till the hospitals overflow with death and dying, unable to take other serious cases, maybe a month or two. Then you know what, yes, back to total shut down after the insane loss of another 10,000 lives. Sounds like a real bright idea?

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, jazzdog32095 said:

Just let it rip, the US has 50% vaccinated with the good stuff and two days ago had

1359 deaths / 567,800 new cases/ 860 per 100K cases. Thailand has 12% vaccinated with vaccines that aren't worth warm ****.  No reason to think that in this culture with people crowded together and many living under the same roof it likely will be worse. How long till the hospitals overflow with death and dying, unable to take other serious cases, maybe a month or two. Then you know what, yes, back to total shut down after the insane loss of another 10,000 lives. Sounds like a real bright idea?

Bet'cha you're one of those guys on a fixed income and not unemployed and getting hungrier every day, watching your future get dimmer and dimmer.

51 minutes ago, impulse said:

Bet'cha you're one of those guys on a fixed income and not unemployed and getting hungrier every day, watching your future get dimmer and dimmer.

Your absolutely right but letting a lethal virus go unchecked will only make it worse for the poor. What you propose will ending up killing many of them. You see super spreading in the factories, the labor camps. You think that magically is going away. The answer is stay the course 6 more months and the Government comes up with real assistance to the people in need. But then that calls for leadership and thats the problem. You tell me how an out of control pandemic gives the poor a brighter future?  (crickets)

• Like 1

I'm sorry, but I can't help but laugh...

Anutin looks like a lost puppy dog and he reminds me of Whimpey from those old Popeye the Sailor cartoons, "I'll pay you two hamburgers tomorrow for one hamburger today!!"????

Edited by DBath

6 hours ago, jazzdog32095 said:

Actually compared to the countries below Thailand has fared pretty well. to say '' No other country has even come close to doing such failure." is total bull****.

If you count it all together it´s no bull. Not enough vaccines, over 20 000 cases per day in a steady stream and people in charge without knowledge of what they are doing as well as closing and opening over and over again. But ok, well done. All is good! ????????

6 minutes ago, Gottfrid said:

If you count it all together it´s no bull. Not enough vaccines, over 20 000 cases per day in a steady stream and people in charge without knowledge of what they are doing as well as closing and opening over and over again. But ok, well done. All is good! ????????

Vaccinations way up over 500K per day. New cases peaked at 23K per day a week ago down to 17K

US new cases 89851  TH  17139 / death US 863  TH 297 / total deaths US 642082 TH 10085

US is doing a wonderful job there sport. US has 4.5 times the population of Thailand, US has 64 times as many deaths and has had 39 times as many cases. By any metric you use Thailand is doing very well but that doesn't corollate to your rant against the Government of which you are a guest. Go back to where you are safe and your Government is far superior, Bye

8 hours ago, jazzdog32095 said:

Do the math, look at other countries. Thailand's numbers are extremely low in cases / deaths 

I found only 9 other countries in the world,  with higher daily deaths from yesterday's results.... and of course many of those have far higher populations. I would not call that extremely low, in fact the opposite. 

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/

19 hours ago, neillyweilly said:

So you can only go to a restaurant or mall if you are fully vaccinated? 

(1) What are the implications of a two-tier society where the vaccinated and the un-vaccinated are separated?  

(2) Who is left to police the policy? The owner of the restaurant who is almost broke; the security guard in the mall?

Looks like we are about to enter a very new Thailand indeed. 

It won't happen ????

4 hours ago, impulse said:

Reading and 'riting and 'rithmetic are just a part to school.  It's also learning to share and negotiate and get along with others.  And fresh air and friends.  That requires a physical presence. 

It's like the difference between having real friends and having Facebook friends.

Exactly right. Online learning, especially for primary school kids is absolutely no substitute. They need to open schools soon before a generation is ruined. Not that the government seems to care.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

I found only 9 other countries in the world,  with higher daily deaths from yesterday's results.... and of course many of those have far higher populations. I would not call that extremely low, in fact the opposite. 

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/

Indeed TH is coming off a spike which the majority of countries have gone through. The two most important metrics, deaths 10085 and total cases / million 15748 combined to make TH way down on the list. To judge TH based on an outlier of a peak is not that representative. What's important is how many have died and how many as a proportion of the population are affected. What this does tell us is only a fool would suggest it's time to open up.

3 hours ago, jazzdog32095 said:

Your absolutely right but letting a lethal virus go unchecked will only make it worse for the poor. What you propose will ending up killing many of them. You see super spreading in the factories, the labor camps. You think that magically is going away. The answer is stay the course 6 more months and the Government comes up with real assistance to the people in need. But then that calls for leadership and thats the problem. You tell me how an out of control pandemic gives the poor a brighter future?  (crickets)

No, I don't think it will go away.  But the "lockdowns" have been a joke when the markets are open, migrant workers are still bopping all over the country, protests of hundreds of people happen just about daily, and the only border crossers that seem to be locked out are paying tourists.  Half the businesses aren't allowed to support their families while the other half are just as hazardous as the ones that are closed.  Staying the course means perpetuating a failed scheme.  If they're going to continue that foolishness, they may as well allow everyone to go back to work.

Your solution requires leadership and $$$ support and assistance, and that's too big an ask for the bunch currently in charge of LOS.

11 minutes ago, impulse said:

No, I don't think it will go away.  But the "lockdowns" have been a joke when the markets are open, migrant workers are still bopping all over the country, protests of hundreds of people happen just about daily, and the only border crossers that seem to be locked out are paying tourists.  Half the businesses aren't allowed to support their families while the other half are just as hazardous as the ones that are closed.  Staying the course means perpetuating a failed scheme.  If they're going to continue that foolishness, they may as well allow everyone to go back to work.

Your solution requires leadership and $$$ support and assistance, and that's too big an ask for the bunch currently in charge of LOS.

What it comes down to is if you believe the restrictions in place do more harm than good. Though far from ideal one has to believe they save more lives than opening up and everyone going back to work. Simple logic tells you this. The US took the screw it lets open up approach and two days ago recorded over 500,000 new cases in one day ! Difference is we have 88% with no vaccination or just one jab of the Chinese <deleted>. That's 60,000,000 sitting ducks all crammed together. Opening up now is the worst of the not so great options we have. The Government has indeed stepped up vaccinations to 400-500K per day, at that pace 60M by January. Something positive. Opening up I see no way we won't be right back where we are now in January or sooner with a 40-50K death count.

2 hours ago, jazzdog32095 said:

Vaccinations way up over 500K per day. New cases peaked at 23K per day a week ago down to 17K

US new cases 89851  TH  17139 / death US 863  TH 297 / total deaths US 642082 TH 10085

US is doing a wonderful job there sport. US has 4.5 times the population of Thailand, US has 64 times as many deaths and has had 39 times as many cases. By any metric you use Thailand is doing very well but that doesn't corollate to your rant against the Government of which you are a guest. Go back to where you are safe and your Government is far superior, Bye

So, you are telling me to go home??? But, this is my home. Also, what right do you have to tell me that? Should I just leave my wife and two children just because you say so? You should know one thing, that when people say like you they are very often copying their own way of behavior. Maybe you are a guy that would react like you post and run away from responsibility. I am not.

FYI, the cases of around 17k per day was only one day. After that it has been close to or over 20k. Today it was a bit lower again. And you believe the peak is over????!!!!! ????????????

Edited by Gottfrid
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, Gottfrid said:

New Thailand. Yes, they are going to be known as the country which opened up time after time with devastating consequences and never understood that they have to vaccinate their people with working vaccines. Anyway, it´s new. No other country has even come close to doing such failure.

What was the stated purpose of the lockdowns?  I’m young enough to remember 2 weeks to flatten the curve. At some point you need to reopen. Open and closing is failing? 

6 minutes ago, Midwit said:

What was the stated purpose of the lockdowns?  I’m young enough to remember 2 weeks to flatten the curve. At some point you need to reopen. Open and closing is failing? 

Right! There is no choice. Either you open up and take the consequences of that decision or you take the effect of closing down for long time.

10 hours ago, jazzdog32095 said:

If you believe the numbers they post and not being open and transparent, but then that is my view.  Many believe the numbers are actually correct or for that matter even to high, but then who really knows.  One thing is for sure and that is that the vaccinations are lacking and far behind the other other countries, and many of those in say the US and UK that are now falling ill are the unvaccinated......

"New Thailand" ............ ha, ha, ha, ha, ha!

There is simply too much manure literally everywhere in all those government offices, police stations and ministries to be cleaned up. What Thailand would need is a meteor hitting the land, something like what happened 65 million years ago. Then it was the dinosaurs who disappeared and today it would be dinosaurs again (political greedy thieves and murderers). 

Every country has the government it deserves. Hence leave it up to the Thais to clean up their own mess, after all it was them who brought them to the rim of this abyss from which I cannot see a way to return. 

New Thailand - my foot; never heard anything more ludicrous ....... 

thank god they have decided to manipulate the numbers and we can start getting everything opened up again.   and start living, after having had an year and half of our lives robbed by the disproportionate reaction of the world's governments.

• Like 1