Ford Laser GLX 2002, 1.6 engine. (Which oil should I use?)

Aina24

Hello car enthusiasts. 

Well, that time has come and I need to change the oil in my car. It's quite an old car that's clocked aprox 219,000 k's (yes quite a lot) but the car still runs nicely.  I've had the car 6 months so this will be my first oil change EVER! My question, what oil would you recommend I get for best performance? I'm an absolute noobie when it comes to automobiles so here I am asking you guys here. 5555+
I greatly appreciate your help and advice ???? Khob Khun Krap na ka

This is what you need. It is specially blended for high mileage vehicles.

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/valvoline-maxlife-10w-40-41-i1024328448-s2268936040.html?spm=a2o4m.searchlist.list.40.537a2b52HRdkiy&search=1

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Kwasaki said:

Castrol GTX.

You are right, this is the absolute best oil but the price is quiteeeeeee expensive. Considering I've only driven 5k's in the last 6 months, I don't think a high grade oil like this is suitable...

2 hours ago, Aina24 said:

You are right, this is the absolute best oil but the price is quiteeeeeee expensive. Considering I've only driven 5k's in the last 6 months, I don't think a high grade oil like this is suitable...

Not expensive from Lazada. 

3 hours ago, Aina24 said:

GTX castrol 6 litres 20w50 from Lazada 675 baht some 500 + baht don't get much cheaper that for the right oil. 

1 hour ago, jackdd said:

10W30 means that it's made for temperatures up to 30 degree Celsius. In Thailand it's often warmer than that, so this oil would not be a good choice for Thailand.

Not sure why you haven't deleted that yet.....????

2 hours ago, jackdd said:

10W30 means that it's made for temperatures up to 30 degree Celsius. In Thailand it's often warmer than that, so this oil would not be a good choice for Thailand.

And where did you get this info ?  How can outside temp make any difference ?

The 10W30 designation on engine oil means that the viscosity of the oil is rated at 10W when an engine is cold and 30 when the engine is hot. This is different than an oil labelled 5W30, which has a thinner viscosity when the engine is cold at 5W.

A quality conventional motor oil will tolerate oil sump temperatures of up to 250 degrees, but starts breaking down over 275 degrees. The traditional approach is to try to hold oil temperatures between 230 and 260 degrees.

https://www.motortrend.com/how-to/engine-oil-temperature/

Edited by canthai55
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, jackdd said:

I lived in Yukon for over 25 years. Saw temps of -67C = -88.6F

Never used any oil like -67W30

Used 0W30 full syn. Altho' we never drove in those temps - steel shatters like glass. Think leaf springs

Edited by canthai55

30 minutes ago, canthai55 said:

And where did you get this info ?

For example this one: https://www.machinerylubrication.com/Read/30197/choose-engine-oil

1627061370_cf028082-9c32-408b-9922-6c55c0d2dc53_SAEchart.jpeg.c0096bbf064ccf82de9bf1aa9b9114e4.jpeg

Just look it up on Google to learn more.

30 minutes ago, canthai55 said:

How can outside temp make any difference ?

If the outside temperature wouldn't make a difference, why would there be different SAE ratings?

9 minutes ago, canthai55 said:

Never used any oil like -67W30

That's not how the SAE rating works.

So why does Honda recommend 5W20 oils in new car models sold in this country ?

Does it only get 20C where they drive Hondas ???

Many vehicles sold in this country recommend 10W30 - like our town car a 2001 and our highway car a 2013. Both sold in this country - the town car was MADE here

Edited by canthai55

OP - 10W30 will suit you just fine. Change the filter at each oil change - they are cheap.

Our town car is a 2001, 1.6 litre. When I bought it was a one owner car with a full service history. Nissan records until end of warranty and then the same local garage until I bought it. Always 10W30. Always a new filter.

Over 220,000 Km now and burns not a drop.

To add - it has been on LPG since new, which many on this forum will say causes the valves to burn out and results in decreased engine life.

Well - it does not. Frequent oil changes are the key to long engine life.

Not like it matters but I chose the 10W-40 oil. Pretty cool reading up about this stuff, I had no idea that the "W" meant winter and not weight. I assume since my car has very high mileage a thicker motor oil would be more suitable for the lubrication of the engine and motor components. Hopefully I'm right? 

3 minutes ago, Aina24 said:

Not like it matters but I chose the 10W-40 oil. Pretty cool reading up about this stuff, I had no idea that the "W" meant winter and not weight. I assume since my car has very high mileage a thicker motor oil would be more suitable for the lubrication of the engine and motor components. Hopefully I'm right? 

If you look in your handbook, it will show you the recommended oil to suit the car at different temperatures. The lower the oil grade numbers, the more economical the engine will be to run.

For instance, my car requires 0w-20, it is called an eco oil, my car is an eco car.

If your car does not burn oil with it's recommended grade, then you should stick with it.

8 minutes ago, Aina24 said:

10w40 is a very common grade oil for most all vehicles in Thailand many people worry for no reason over oil. 

10W40 will work fine. Just get the newest formulation - they are now at

SP, but SM or SN are good for MY 1996 on.

Gotta love people who go to oil companies websites and ask for oil recommendations - I wonder why they list the most expensive oil ?

• Like 1

On 8/27/2021 at 6:00 AM, Kwasaki said:

10w40 is a very common grade oil for most all vehicles in Thailand many people worry for no reason over oil. 

Yes I'd be inclined to use a "40" in Thailand for an older car especially. Outside temps can get to 35C+ and engine bay temps are very high. But always use manufacturer recommendations as a guide and don't deviate too far from them is my advice. Newer cars sometimes are designed for the thinner oils.

Edited by Tuvoc

1 hour ago, Tuvoc said:

Yes I'd be inclined to use a "40" in Thailand for an older car especially. Outside temps can get to 35C+ and engine bay temps are very high. But always use manufacturer recommendations as a guide and don't deviate too far from them is my advice. Newer cars sometimes are designed for the thinner oils.

Yeah well up to you as they say here and I've got to the point that's what I said now.

Anybody thought oil for a old 1•6 Toyota was rocket science the thread is ridiculous now to say the least.

Why is my thread ridiculous? This is my first owned car and I know next to nothing about automobiles..... Anywhoo, thanks everyone for the constructive advice and feedback. I very much appreciate your help regardless of how stupid my question may have been.. kob khun na ka.

Edited by Aina24