Mom & Pop Stores in Thailand: What do we really know about them? And, how much do we care?

Live in a small village.. other than hello and goodbye .. There’s at least one Mom Pop on every village 

blockish.. 2-3 larger shops stock significantly more than small ones that usually sell booze, Thai whiskey by the shot or bottles, beer,cigarettes,by the pack or as singles.. sodas.. etc. 

I’ve lived here six years and loyal to one of the larger shops the entire time... for the smaller shops it’s 

not easy to survive and with small shops opening 3 doors down from other kinda divides/splits the business...

So pleasantries but not really not dwelling into their lifes.. Great people making a living..

Why would I care about "mom and pop" stores, with their old stale goods and often high prices, when "Seven" has just about everything I need for daily livng...is clean...restocked daily...open 24/7 (during normal times)...and often has cute friendly cashiers? So to answer your question: I don't. 

23 hours ago, CharlieH said:

Your opinion obviously, and clearly you dont live in a small community.

I have lived in this village 12 years, most people know each other and know all about their business and family history etc. Yes ! I ask how they are and how the kids are doing. Our local store is also a gas station, and yes locals will sit on the table etc provided and buy a drink and sit n talk awhile. I have also witnessed them allowinng "pay later" for some of the farmers. Its all about community and they will all help each other where possible or know somebody that can. Its one of the things I like most about Thailand and the reason I like this village.

That sense of community and caring is sadly long gone  in the West. (imho)

That sounds just like Mayberry

spacer.png

17 hours ago, Doctor Tom said:

My G/F Number One and I had built a small, basic shop for her parents to operate in their village

My wife and I had a food stall in a market when we lived in BKK. I invested about a grand USD. Over a few months, her take was then five times that. Woo hoo! This is clearly the way to do it, rather than just handing them straight cash.

It wasn't easy tho, she had to put in a lot of hard work. A lot of nights coming home late. I'd already be asleep having crashed from my teaching job, and we weren't seeing a lot of each other. But she was having fun. She loved seeing the money roll in. She loved seeing the queues and people complementing her cooking. She met a lot of nice people, it was also very much a social activity. A lot better than just sitting at home while I went to work.

And on that note, heh, the companions of many others do just that. Some colleagues at my school admitted to me that to keep their companions, it was agreed they gave half their salary each month as their allowance. For them to go shopping, then sit around and look pretty, who knows. I'd much rather build something with my companion, and together grow from the experience. Running a small business can be enriching in many ways.

• Like 2

On 8/28/2021 at 12:56 AM, GammaGlobulin said:

Have you ever stopped to share a smile, and did you ever take the time to ask how Mom and Pop were getting along? 

I do this at my local mom and pop. I always smile and ask her 'sabai dee mai'. Their university-aged daughter who handles the sales just says 'kha' and then giggles and looks down shyly.

Thai people are not accustomed to being asked how they are.

12 hours ago, captainjackS said:

and asks me what i'm doing whenever i'm outside fixing / adding something

While I appreciate your post, It never ceases to amaze me how Thais in general will ask this IMO inane question, although I do understand they are just being friendly, So I'm up a ladder, paint pot and brush in hand and they ask "what are you doing?" Or in a supermarket pushing a cart, I get the same question "What are you doing" (Wrong spelling but sounds like "come areye").

On 8/28/2021 at 2:54 AM, Bday Prang said:

If you want to keep "mom and pop" (where does that phrase come from? )

They're often run by grandparents, elderly people. Having made money in their previous careers, they've taken their savings to open a shop and settle into semi-retirement. It's relaxing, not very demanding work. Rather than waste away watching TV all day, they've got something to do, maintaining their connections with friends and the community. That's what the proprietors of the shop in my village do, and that's what my grandparents did as well, back in the States.

• Like 1

My 2 local Ma&Pop shops are great, a quick phone call, brings beer min order 3 delivered right to my door step, no extra charge, they both have no probs about paying tomorrow, as one time i popped down and forgot my wallet, other times they hadn't change of 1k, one time i was flagged down, as the day before left 500b behind, that I hadn't noticed in my haste, they are doing fine, no need to ask, one has had a new upper floor built to their house. 

1 hour ago, brianthainess said:

Do you walk fast? Or is he extracting the urine coz you walk very slowly?:coffee1:

It was just normal paced walking, maybe slow if anything... but when someone has an IQ of 20 it is difficult to imagine what they might be thinking... you just smile and wave and be glad they are not holding sharp objects... for their own sake as well

2 hours ago, CrunchWrapSupreme said:

My wife and I had a food stall in a market when we lived in BKK. I invested about a grand USD. Over a few months, her take was then five times that. Woo hoo! This is clearly the way to do it, rather than just handing them straight cash.

It wasn't easy tho, she had to put in a lot of hard work. A lot of nights coming home late. I'd already be asleep having crashed from my teaching job, and we weren't seeing a lot of each other. But she was having fun. She loved seeing the money roll in. She loved seeing the queues and people complementing her cooking. She met a lot of nice people, it was also very much a social activity. A lot better than just sitting at home while I went to work.

And on that note, heh, the companions of many others do just that. Some colleagues at my school admitted to me that to keep their companions, it was agreed they gave half their salary each month as their allowance. For them to go shopping, then sit around and look pretty, who knows. I'd much rather build something with my companion, and together grow from the experience. Running a small business can be enriching in many ways.

Each to his own.  My G/F is not my wife,  she's not even exclusive, as I have a number 2 version down the road.  When Number one is not on-shift at the hospital,  her job is to just sit in the house looking pretty, she has few other functions.  I was happy to dole out some cash to help her family,  but no way  would I want to be involved in selling stuff, or have her selling stuff, even if, God forbid, we were married. I'm done 'building stuff' as you put it. As I say, each to his own way of living.  

On 8/28/2021 at 7:21 AM, CharlieH said:

Your opinion obviously, and clearly you dont live in a small community.

I have lived in this village 12 years, most people know each other and know all about their business and family history etc. Yes ! I ask how they are and how the kids are doing. Our local store is also a gas station, and yes locals will sit on the table etc provided and buy a drink and sit n talk awhile. I have also witnessed them allowinng "pay later" for some of the farmers. Its all about community and they will all help each other where possible or know somebody that can. Its one of the things I like most about Thailand and the reason I like this village.

That sense of community and caring is sadly long gone  in the West. (imho)

I think you're wrong. In rural areas of America that neighborly tradition endures. It's partly survival as you never know when you will need your neighbors help. Not in bigger cities though. Have you lived in a small town in America?

Why would it be different here? And of course the language barrier here limits most of us to well meaning but banal conversations. I suspect 'Mom and Pop' would prefer to make the sale and go back to their phones.

Sociologists tell us humans can only be close to each other in groups as large as a couple hundred, the 'in group'. Beyond that everybody else is part of the 'out group', thus suspect. 

It's just the way we're wired for both good and bad. The guy passing through to buy gas in a small town is not welcomed with open arms and intimate conversation.

A book called "Sway" dives into this pretty deeply. A good read and very enlightening.

Mom and Pop shops are integral to the maintenance of social cohesion in small villages around Thailand, especially during this pandemic period when many of us are experiencing increased isolation and alienation. 

The Mom and Pop shops provide a much needed service to the local village community, above and beyond just being vendors of common staples. 

For many, during these times, these shops represent a rare opportunity to exchange information and caring thoughts with one's fellows living nearby. 

These shops are still indespensible, even if there might also be franchised alternatives, nearby. 

In fact, Sevens cannot replace what Mom and Pop shops offer the local village. 

I love our local Ma and Pa store. They sell cheap whiskey, tobacco, chewing gum, mobile phone cards, gambling tickets, energy drinks.... And a heap of other stuff I don't care for.

But it's great to catch up with the local gossip (over a beer straight from the ice)

• Thanks 1