Laser eye surgery

Ahinkel1

I had the RelEx surgery in Bangkok 5 years ago, here: http://www.lasikthai.com/

was absolutely happy for the first few years, but unfortunately my vision began to decline again about one year ago.

I believe its mostly because of my own actions - staring for hours into the computer screen with the distance less than 50cm, and never doing any eye gymnastics.

[a note to future self: do that fkn gymnastics and do not use computer and phone that much]

Edited by fdsa

I can't recommend any place in Bangkok but I had it done in Canada where im from

absolutely best money I've ever spent and I wish I did it sooner, it came with a life time guarantee incase I needed revisions, no declines at all in my vision and it's been a little over a year, no symptoms like glare/halos/dry eyes like some people mentioned they get.

Theres a huge debate as well with blade vs bladeless lasik (part where they cut the flap before using the laser), I went with bladeless, I'd do research on this and choose what you're most comfortable with. 

Not sure if Bangkok has any clinics/hospital that come with a lifetime guarantee but if it does I definitely recommend it

Edited by dj230

1 hour ago, dj230 said:

I can't recommend any place in Bangkok but I had it done in Canada where im from

absolutely best money I've ever spent and I wish I did it sooner, it came with a life time guarantee incase I needed revisions, no declines at all in my vision and it's been a little over a year, no symptoms like glare/halos/dry eyes like some people mentioned they get.

Theres a huge debate as well with blade vs bladeless lasik (part where they cut the flap before using the laser), I went with bladeless, I'd do research on this and choose what you're most comfortable with. 

Not sure if Bangkok has any clinics/hospital that come with a lifetime guarantee but if it does I definitely recommend it

I am prone to anxiety attacks with doctors. May I ask do they put you to sleep for the procedure ?

2 hours ago, dj230 said:

My understanding, which could well be erroneous, is that Lasik is not really a permanent solution?

I have just had a multi focal IOL done at Bangkok Pattaya Hospital and there was a thread earlier this year with some very detailed information from @Pib on IOL surgery which you may find interesting..

Links for BPH for Supersight (as they call it)  https://www.supersightsurgery.com/index.php?lay=show&ac=article&Id=393327&Ntype=5

A lot of links within that sight but you have to click around to get everything.

1 hour ago, thaitom said:

I am prone to anxiety attacks with doctors. May I ask do they put you to sleep for the procedure ?

no they didn't and it was a bit uncomfortable but only lasted about 30 seconds, 

the healing was the bad part, eyes were burning for a few hours, they gave me numbing eye drops

they offered me some medicine for anxiety but i didn't take it

53 minutes ago, topt said:

My understanding, which could well be erroneous, is that Lasik is not really a permanent solution?

I have just had a multi focal IOL done at Bangkok Pattaya Hospital and there was a thread earlier this year with some very detailed information from @Pib on IOL surgery which you may find interesting..

Links for BPH for Supersight (as they call it)  https://www.supersightsurgery.com/index.php?lay=show&ac=article&Id=393327&Ntype=5

A lot of links within that sight but you have to click around to get everything.

I never really thought of that, I always thought lasik was indeed permanent if done correctly, that being said they mentioned to me as you got older you lose your near sight and I think they had some special procedure for that or something, I didn't really look into that 

Edited by dj230
  • Like 1

OP you need to specify which laser procedure you mean.

If you mean to correct nearsightedness (myopia) that would be LASIK or  RELex.

The best place for this in Thailand is TRSC   http://www.lasikthai.com/

They were the first place to do it and specialize in it. I had it done there more than 20 years ago and my vision is still great.

If however you are talking about treatment for retinal detachment or cataract etc then please specify

To answer another poster no, they do nto put you to sleep though they do give a mild tranquilizer beforehand. It is done under local (topical) anesthetic. You need to be awake and able to follow instructions.

• Like 1

yes, i did it in a famous rutnin eye hospital near silom road, and i do not reccomand it .

if i would do it now, i would go to Samitivej Thonburi Hospital.

price is same but Samitivej is much less busy and has way better facilities.

the reason i did not do it there is that they had a gay doctor at that time and i'd rather lose

my eye than let a gay man thouch it.

but the doctors there change all the time and when i came there again it was a nice young lady,

which did look like a real woman.

• Sad 1

5 minutes ago, dj230 said:

no they didn't and it was a bit uncomfortable but only lasted about 30 seconds, 

the healing was the bad part, eyes were burning for a few hours, they gave me numbing eye drops

they offered me some medicine for anxiety but i didn't take it

I never really thought of that, I always thought lasik was indeed permanent if done correctly, that being said they mentioned to me as you got older you lose your near sight and I think they had some special procedure for that or something, I didn't really look into that 

Lasik is permament once your vision stabilizes but it will nto prevent the later development of age related far-sightedness (which is nto actually far sightedness at all but a loss of the accommodation reflex).  Neither will the so-called "super sight surgery" which is actually just the same procedure as used for cataracts, and recommended only if over age 50.

What can be done if desired is to leave one eye undercorrectd (Still a bit nearsighted), this is called monovision and may help avoid the need for reading glasses later. I had this done an now at age 68 still do not need reading glasses - but individual results will vary.  If going for monovision it is important to do one eye at a time and wait till vision in the first eye stabilizes before doing the second. You might also lie to do a trial of wearning contact lens that simulate monovision just to be sure you adjust well to it.

AT TRSC they will do a thorough evaluation first and =clearly explain the options and, in statistical terms, likely outcome of different approaches.

2 minutes ago, SCOTT FITZGERSLD said:

yes, i did it in a famous rutnin eye hospital near silom road, and i do not reccomand it .

if i would do it now, i would go to Samitivej Thonburi Hospital.

price is same but Samitivej is much less busy and has way better facilities.

the reason i did not do it there is that they had a gay doctor at that time and i'd rather lose

my eye than let a gay man thouch it.

but the doctors there change all the time and when i came there again it was a nice young lady,

which did look like a real woman.

As Rutnin is not near Silom I think you may have the hospital name wrong?

I recommend to do ICL instead of Lasik, the big advantage is that it's reversible, you could replace it with a different lense later in life if required, or if there should be some new technology in the future you can switch to that.

I didn't do mine in Thailand, so I can't recommend anything here.