Passengers from Schengen Countries Barred from Boarding US-bound Flights

b50fc9259584e76f019c62007abcbaa8_small.jpeg

BANGKOK (NNT) - The Ministry of Foreign Affairs has warned Thai citizens without permanent residency in the US to avoid travelling to the country via the Schengen Area, due to COVID-19 restrictions.

Ministry spokesman Thanee Saengrat said the US government has put in place COVID-19 restrictions for people travelling to the US from the Schengen Area. It has suspended travel to the US by foreign nationals who were physically present in any Schengen Area country in the 14 days preceding entry or attempted entry into the US.

According to Mr. Thanee, Thai citizens should avoid travelling to the US via Schengen Area countries, unless they have permanent residency or are members of US families, as airlines may not allow them to board their flights.

Those with unavoidable trips are strongly urged to contact the US embassy in Thailand for advice before they travel.

nnt.jpg
  • Confused 1
  • Haha 1

18 hours ago, Jonathan Fairfield said:

Ministry spokesman Thanee Saengrat said the US government has put in place COVID-19 restrictions for people travelling to the US from the Schengen Area. It has suspended travel to the US by foreign nationals who were physically present in any Schengen Area country in the 14 days preceding entry or attempted entry into the US

Closing a loop-hole.

I wonder if the UK will adopt a similar strategy when checking peoples passport movements on arriving at a UK airport.

ie a red zone holiday followed by a few days in an amber country before flying into the UK

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, hotchilli said:

Closing a loop-hole.

I wonder if the UK will adopt a similar strategy when checking peoples passport movements on arriving at a UK airport.

ie a red zone holiday followed by a few days in an amber country before flying into the UK

Why adopt anything? The PLF has been in place for a long time, of course like everything else you can break the law and risk the consequences.

When I arrived I came through an E gate, never spoke to anyone. My PLF was checked quite thoroughly before boarding.

11 hours ago, mtls2005 said:

Flying to the U.S. via any of the restricted countries has been in place since Jan. 21, 2021, I think?

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/travelers/from-other-countries.html

With specific exceptions, several Presidential proclamations suspend and limit entry into the United States, as immigrants or nonimmigrants, of noncitizens who were physically present within the following countries during the 14-day period preceding their entry or attempted entry into the United States. For a full list of exceptions, please refer to the relevant proclamations in the links below.

China
Iran
European Schengen area (Austria, Belgium, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Italy, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, Monaco, San Marino, Vatican City)
United Kingdom (England, Scotland, Wales, Northern Ireland)
Republic of Ireland
Brazil
South Africa
India

Maybe this is just some sort of timely reminder for Thais, from their MoFA/DCA?

Yup. Old news. Has been in place for a while.