Bit of a dilemma covid infection

orchidfan

Have a close thai relative who has just been released from hospital following a mild Covid19 infection..29yrs old...who wants to come and stay in my house for a few days before going upcountry. 

Now. I'm 70 and only 1 Pfizer jab about a week ago. 

Hard to assess the risk of her infecting me, but want to do the right thing by the poor lady.

She's apparently not been vaccinated despite being hospitalized!

Big enough house, 3br etc, boxes of masks and loads of gel.

Any credible comments much appreciated. 

9 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

Pay for a Guest house nearby. 

I guess that's one solution...but of course she's got no money so everything including food etc would be on me (no big deal).

I guess I was really wondering if she's any more or less risk to me than the people I mix with at the local Lotus or 7/11?

Although not vaccinated, she has had and (apparently) recovered from the damn thing. 

25 minutes ago, orchidfan said:

Now. I'm 70 and only 1 Pfizer jab about a week ago. 

This real-world finding was consistent with an analysis of Pfizer’s clinical trial data reported in 2020 in the New England Journal of Medicine. In that study, the 52% protection from the first dose included infections that occurred in the first 12 days after vaccination, when one would not expect the vaccine to have had time to generate protective antibodies.

https://www.asbmb.org/asbmb-today/science/040421/how-effective-is-the-first-shot-of-the-pfizer-or-m

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, bkk6060 said:

Get her a hotel room.

Yes. Thinking about that and just checked with nearby 3 star hotel......"Temporarily closed due to Covid"

I know most of their usual customers come via Don Muang airport. Which at present would be zip!

1 minute ago, RJRS1301 said:

This real-world finding was consistent with an analysis of Pfizer’s clinical trial data reported in 2020 in the New England Journal of Medicine. In that study, the 52% protection from the first dose included infections that occurred in the first 12 days after vaccination, when one would not expect the vaccine to have had time to generate protective antibodies.

https://www.asbmb.org/asbmb-today/science/040421/how-effective-is-the-first-shot-of-the-pfizer-or-m

Thanks, that sounds encouraging. 

I have no health issues and never had a cold or flu in over 40years. 

Maybe I can risk it. Wear a mask,keep my distance and hope for the best.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

2 minutes ago, RJRS1301 said:

One person I read has died after Pfizer 2nd injection dose,  so I see the nonsense spoke about Sinovac irresponsible.

• Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

Nothing wrong with Sinovac it's be WHO approved.

Yes I know. I'm not knocking Sinovac but she hasn't even had one shot of that and according to another post here, can't for a couple of weeks following recovery from the infection!

Having recovered I am guessing she is no more infectious than anyone else, even after 1 shot??

4 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

One person I read has died after Pfizer 2nd injection dose,  so I see the nonsense spoke about Sinovac irresponsible.

Generally those who have died after full vaccination also had co-morbidities prior to Covid, 

Covid acerbating pre-existing poor health outcomes.

Sinovac has a noted 40% efficacy after 12 weeks, which is far less than either Pfizer or AZ or Moderna

Given a choice I would not be using either Sinovac or Sputnik 

Edited by RJRS1301
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, RJRS1301 said:

I would prefer her as houseguest , as opposed to an unvaxxed person who is also untested, and could be a potential transmitter/carrier

I think you're quite right.

Wonder if a quick antigen test from the local pharmacy would be any consolation.....if I can buy them of course ??

If she got a COVID, that's about the same thing as if she got vaccine - virus entered her body, immune system recognised it, started marking and destroying the virus, and if she's getting released soon, it seems immune system has done the job. Now of course, while her immune system is working on completely eliminating the virus, there could still be some in her but likely in very small quantities and quite low probability to get infected.

As you're older, of course the risk of infection could be relatively serious to you for the next month or so, therefore either keep her away from you in a different room, with own toilet/bathroom, etc., or get her a hotel or a guest house. She should be able to check in with her yellow card of overcoming COVID infection.

If you are in Bangkok... or rather if she is in Bangkok, and you need help with booking a place, or help paying for it, drop me a message. Didn't do a tambun for a long time... so maybe this is alternative to visiting a temple ^^

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Stocky said:

If she's been released from hospital then she must have tested negative and be considered clear of the virus. Having had the virus she now has a natural immunity. 

Yes. She is probably very safe from reinfection, I'm just wondering about my resistance after 1 shot and in unavoidable semi close "contact " over a week ?

4 minutes ago, Stocky said:

If she's been released from hospital then she must have tested negative and be considered clear of the virus. Having had the virus she now has a natural immunity. 

Since sometime this month, the second negative test is no longer required and the time to stay was shortened from 14 to 10 days, if I remember correctly. That's why you saw increased number of "recovered" patients. I am sure a quick search in these forums can find you an article on it. So don't bet on her being 100% safe now. But yes, not sure if immediately, but in a short time she should have reasonable immunity against this COVID variant (probably Delta), especially if she gets in contact with low concentrations of different sub variants, which would only boost the immune system against it.

3 minutes ago, tomazbodner said:

If she got a COVID, that's about the same thing as if she got vaccine - virus entered her body, immune system recognised it, started marking and destroying the virus, and if she's getting released soon, it seems immune system has done the job. Now of course, while her immune system is working on completely eliminating the virus, there could still be some in her but likely in very small quantities and quite low probability to get infected.

As you're older, of course the risk of infection could be relatively serious to you for the next month or so, therefore either keep her away from you in a different room, with own toilet/bathroom, etc., or get her a hotel or a guest house. She should be able to check in with her yellow card of overcoming COVID infection.

If you are in Bangkok... or rather if she is in Bangkok, and you need help with booking a place, or help paying for it, drop me a message. Didn't do a tambun for a long time... so maybe this is alternative to visiting a temple ^^

Thanks for the offer.

I'm in Rangsit so choices of local accommodation are very limited. 

As I said above. One I checked on close by are Temporarily closed !

Yes my house has 3br and 3 bathrooms so no problems there. 

I guess food Is the other hassle,  I only cook western food for myself. 

Could maybe get home delivery for her, but never done that before !

7 minutes ago, orchidfan said:

Yes. She is probably very safe from reinfection, I'm just wondering about my resistance after 1 shot and in unavoidable semi close "contact " over a week ?

1 shot or 20.

you are not immune from catching the covids.

Invite her in with open arms and get your end wet.

• Haha 1

Interestingly there are other members of the extended family not too far away but NOBODY, wants to take her in because they are not themselves vaccinated. 

Really evolving here it seems that pre~infected people are being treated like lepers ....."stay away from us with your vile disease "