Bit of a dilemma covid infection

orchidfan

16 minutes ago, orchidfan said:

Yes. She is probably very safe from reinfection, I'm just wondering about my resistance after 1 shot and in unavoidable semi close "contact " over a week ?

I would suspect she's less of a risk than your 7-Eleven - sounds like you've enough space to keep a suitable distance.

37 minutes ago, orchidfan said:

Yes I know. I'm not knocking Sinovac but she hasn't even had one shot of that and according to another post here, can't for a couple of weeks following recovery from the infection!

Having recovered I am guessing she is no more infectious than anyone else, even after 1 shot??

Maybe get a blood transfusion from her to you. ????????????

• Haha 1

38 minutes ago, RJRS1301 said:

Generally those who have died after full vaccination also had co-morbidities prior to Covid, 

Covid acerbating pre-existing poor health outcomes.

Sinovac has a noted 40% efficacy after 12 weeks, which is far less than either Pfizer or AZ or Moderna

Given a choice I would not be using either Sinovac or Sputnik 

A healthy guy of 18 died after Pfizer there investigating.

Disagree any vaccines what ever one is better than maybe ending up with long covid. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, orchidfan said:

Yes I'm inclined to take her in, if for nothing else but to show her other relatives, who shunned her, that I'm willing to take the risk....such as it is.

And whilst I take the usual precautions, I'm not terrified of Covid.

Like you say, no more risky that the local 7/11 or markets. 

the fact this thread exists suggest your are terrified  of covid.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

She did have a sales job here before she contracted covid, and am thinking the reason for this week (or  days) here will give her time to get a new negative test# to show an employer and her other scared relatives. 

#which I assume she could get from a local government hospital ??

2 minutes ago, Ralf001 said:

the fact this thread exists suggest your are terrified  of covid.

No I'm not terrified,  just being cautious at my age. And up until a week ago, no vaccine. 

I.was really just throwing out the query as to the level of virus transmission which  can be expected from people who have had and recovered as opposed to the rest of us.

She's the only person I know here who has had and recovered from Covid19. 

As I mentioned above, I've never caught ANY virus in over 40years ,living in various parts of Asia. 

Hong Kong 20yrs, SARS 1, Hong Kong flu. 

Never caught a thing.????

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

A healthy guy of 18 died after Pfizer there investigating.

Disagree any vaccines what ever one is better than maybe ending up with long covid. 

If it was the high school student I am thinking of, following a Pfizer, he had a cardiac arrest in a swimming pool at school.

Not vaccine related it seems

Think about the death against how many million doses already administered

Edited by RJRS1301
  • Like 1

44 minutes ago, orchidfan said:

Thanks for the offer.

I'm in Rangsit so choices of local accommodation are very limited. 

As I said above. One I checked on close by are Temporarily closed !

Yes my house has 3br and 3 bathrooms so no problems there. 

I guess food Is the other hassle,  I only cook western food for myself. 

Could maybe get home delivery for her, but never done that before !

OK, that's not far from here. There are several hotels open in this area though. But when it comes to food: she's young so she'll be phone savvy. Ask her to order stuff from Grab. She'll know how to do it, then just pay for it. Plenty of restaurants are on Grab, and so they are on FoodPanda. food.grab.com can be checked from your computer or phone, to see what's around if you enter your address or allow it to search for location. I am sure there would be a lot. You can also try putting your address in 1112delivery.com which does have some restaurants in there like SnP, Sizzler, Bonchon, which would likely be able to deliver to your address. So I think you don't need to panic over that. Just ask her to mask herself if you're in same rooms, maybe ventilate the area you both use (say kitchen or living room), and both wear a mask as you would with someone of unknown status.

I would say that if you do the above, the chances of catching it are close to non existent, even if she was still having tiny amounts of alive virus in her.

Not to make her feel bad, do tell her up-front what your situation is (age, health, vaccination status) which is why you would need to ask her to put mask on and keep a bit of distance. I am sure she'll understand.

If she can't, or refuses to do it, get her a hotel instead. Go to Agoda.com, choose Bangkok, Thailand, and then Don Mueang area. I've put in starting today until end of the week, and average per day price is starting just over 400 baht.

image.png.bafca24a9254e5256560a80fd7053739.png

This is just a sample... there are 100s of listings as map below shows...

image.thumb.png.ce15e3237f3a2b1404b83ea5b7482fb6.png

Edited by tomazbodner
To go => Go to

21 minutes ago, orchidfan said:

She did have a sales job here before she contracted covid, and am thinking the reason for this week (or  days) here will give her time to get a new negative test# to show an employer and her other scared relatives. 

Breaking down the stigma attached to infections/disease/mental health is paramount tor recovery for the individual and the community

For you, well, actions have consequences.  Would you accept her being mad at you for not taking her in unless she accepts a stipulation to get vaccinated?  Would you refuse her entry if she does not get vaccinated and could you live with your decision?  Is there enough risk to even worry about any stipulations or even making an issue out of her not being vaccinated?

My own sister will not let me stay in the house for a few weeks visit while I am between contract jobs unless I get vaccinated.   I have been paying rent to her for the past 5 years.  Both her and her husband are vaccinated.  I did have COVID barely symptoms last year. Slight fever gone overnight.  I tried to reason with her that even vaccinated people can carry or transmit the virus, and they are probably a bigger risk to me than I am to them!  I also pointed out that she is still going to work and teaching unvaccinated students at a private school, that her husband is still going to work at overnight delivery and interacting with people, that they still go shopping, and that she just flew cross country and back to San Francisco and back and of course was on planes, in airports, went out to eat with many people, etc.  She also still goes and gets her nails and toes done, gets foot massages, etc.  So I asked how can that behavior be construed as being risk aversive, and then worrying about what I might bring?!   Of course she blew up at my asking and offering a contrarian opine to what she wants.  She always was a hot head and a drama queen.   Its too bad because her Husband is a cool guy and we get along and have a lot in common.  Oh well.  I tried to keep the money in the family and paid them for my board for all the years while I am away working on the road 98% of the year on contracts or long vacations so I  thought we had a pretty good arrangement.  I stop home maybe for two weeks a year and did visit at Christmas usually.  

No big deal.  Now I stop paying them, and just go buy my own little retirement place.  It was about time for that anyway as I am on what will most likely be my last contract job at my age and time to get a more permaent future home.  The funny thing is they are broke and in debt and will really miss the monies I send them, but I can't change their spending habits they have been doing for 30 years.  This just shows how irrational some people are and once they make up their mind they are not listening.

Driving back to Melbourne Florida starting Monday to look at houses.  Will be paying cash so the deal should close fairly quickly.  Title insurance, quick house inspection, and my agent brings in a lawyer for the routine paperwork signing.  No dealing with banks, and appraisals, etc. 

i like the hotel option, why does she need a hotel near you ?  you say the one nearby is closed.  but does she really need to be near your home ?  seems reasonable to help someone out with lodging and food so they can get back on their feet after the covid thing.  i know i've paid for a couple of people (paid their rent, food, and testing).  i agree there isn't much risk but why not pay some money and just avoid it.  i've saved so much money with everything shutdown for so long that it isn't hard for me to help out the people i know.

• Like 2

Ah, if she had Covid, was hospitalized and tested negative before release then she is no longer infectious?  Then she has natural antibodies for Covid and should be safer than someone who has not been vaccinated(at least that what is being said by many in the medical field).  To be reassured then possibly purchase a rapid anti gen test from a pharmacy(some pharmacies will sell a single test for under 300 baht).  So far I have taken 6 PCR tests and 5 rapid anti-gen tests.  All were negative. or not detected.  

• Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, orchidfan said:

Do not go to Huanji Gene Technology at Rama 9 for testing. They are testing far more cycles than the other, and I now know several cases who got their positive reading, then did second test somewhere else and get negative result. Asked a lab in Europe and they say N Ct = 32 undetectable is considered negative. Nobody there would go and test beyond that. Obviously this lot is different:

image.png.e639590bec7e1e6e9a3b31f43d7acd0a.png

Another lab a day later, after receiving the other positive result:

image.png.373ba729990f0d6df2184687d79c2a1b.png

This was done at Medical Line Lab in Lat Phrao.

Just to let you know not every RT-PCR is the same.

1 minute ago, tomazbodner said:

Do not go to Huanji Gene Technology at Rama 9 for testing. They are testing far more cycles than the other, and I now know several cases who got their positive reading, then did second test somewhere else and get negative result. Asked a lab in Europe and they say N Ct = 32 undetectable is considered negative. Nobody there would go and test beyond that. Obviously this lot is different:

There is often cases of false positives in any testing regime for any infection. The result depends on many factors external to the sample being tested.

• Like 1

As long as its been 10 days since she was infected you will be just fine.

I know of two close friends whom have had an infection in their households and no one else was infected, however there were advised by the Uk health authorities to isolate for 10 days before going back into public. (Not the family members in contact with the infected person, only the infected had to isolate)

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Stocky said:

If she's been released from hospital then she must have tested negative and be considered clear of the virus. Having had the virus she now has a natural immunity. 

There was a directive a week or so ago stating that patients deemed to have recovered by what ever criteria are no longer covid tested before being released from hospital.

I found that incredible but it was a full news item thread on this forum not long ago.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, gk10012001 said:

For you, well, actions have consequences.  Would you accept her being mad at you for not taking her in unless she accepts a stipulation to get vaccinated?  Would you refuse her entry if she does not get vaccinated and could you live with your decision?  Is there enough risk to even worry about any stipulations or even making an issue out of her not being vaccinated?

My own sister will not let me stay in the house for a few weeks visit while I am between contract jobs unless I get vaccinated.   I have been paying rent to her for the past 5 years.  Both her and her husband are vaccinated.  I did have COVID barely symptoms last year. Slight fever gone overnight.  I tried to reason with her that even vaccinated people can carry or transmit the virus, and they are probably a bigger risk to me than I am to them!  I also pointed out that she is still going to work and teaching unvaccinated students at a private school, that her husband is still going to work at overnight delivery and interacting with people, that they still go shopping, and that she just flew cross country and back to San Francisco and back and of course was on planes, in airports, went out to eat with many people, etc.  She also still goes and gets her nails and toes done, gets foot massages, etc.  So I asked how can that behavior be construed as being risk aversive, and then worrying about what I might bring?!   Of course she blew up at my asking and offering a contrarian opine to what she wants.  She always was a hot head and a drama queen.   Its too bad because her Husband is a cool guy and we get along and have a lot in common.  Oh well.  I tried to keep the money in the family and paid them for my board for all the years while I am away working on the road 98% of the year on contracts or long vacations so I  thought we had a pretty good arrangement.  I stop home maybe for two weeks a year and did visit at Christmas usually.  

No big deal.  Now I stop paying them, and just go buy my own little retirement place.  It was about time for that anyway as I am on what will most likely be my last contract job at my age and time to get a more permaent future home.  The funny thing is they are broke and in debt and will really miss the monies I send them, but I can't change their spending habits they have been doing for 30 years.  This just shows how irrational some people are and once they make up their mind they are not listening.

Driving back to Melbourne Florida starting Monday to look at houses.  Will be paying cash so the deal should close fairly quickly.  Title insurance, quick house inspection, and my agent brings in a lawyer for the routine paperwork signing.  No dealing with banks, and appraisals, etc. 

Sounds like you've tried your best.

Some p5you just can't help.

No, I've not got any condition of her being vaxed. Up to her after the recommended period for vaccination after being infected and recovered. 

Good luck with the house hunting. 

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, buick said:

i like the hotel option, why does she need a hotel near you ?  you say the one nearby is closed.  but does she really need to be near your home ?  seems reasonable to help someone out with lodging and food so they can get back on their feet after the covid thing.  i know i've paid for a couple of people (paid their rent, food, and testing).  i agree there isn't much risk but why not pay some money and just avoid it.  i've saved so much money with everything shutdown for so long that it isn't hard for me to help out the people i know.

I guess because my wife and I are close relatives and I think she's had enough of quarantine and hospital isolation. 

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, tomazbodner said:

Thanks and noted. I won't know unt

54 minutes ago, tomazbodner said:

Thanks and noted. I won't know until I talk to her when she had a last test before being released. But am assuming negative results. 

18 minutes ago, sapson said:

There was a directive a week or so ago stating that patients deemed to have recovered by what ever criteria are no longer covid tested before being released from hospital.

I found that incredible but it was a full news item thread on this forum not long ago.

I think that that's her immediate problem,  getting back into the workplace and accepted again by work and family. 

Needs a new current test to convince people. 

19 minutes ago, WhiteBuffaloATM said:

check your 1st jab protection status (Pfizer website)…. maybe effective at jab + 14 days ?

then you are near certain not to die or be in hospital with 25% risk of symptoms only.

other risk is she will leach off indefinitely and never leave your home !

No, she won't stay here. She has a 10yo son and partner, who are "hiding with scared relatives"... but I imagine it's breaking her heart. 

33 minutes ago, orchidfan said:

Sounds like you've tried your best.

Some p5you just can't help.

No, I've not got any condition of her being vaxed. Up to her after the recommended period for vaccination after being infected and recovered. 

Good luck with the house hunting. 

Thank you

2 hours ago, orchidfan said:

Thanks, that sounds encouraging. 

I have no health issues and never had a cold or flu in over 40years. 

Maybe I can risk it. Wear a mask,keep my distance and hope for the best.

Nary a sniffle in 40 years? You should be more worried about Alzheimer's than covid, bubble boy. ????

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, RJRS1301 said:

If it was the high school student I am thinking of, following a Pfizer, he had a cardiac arrest in a swimming pool at school.

Not vaccine related it seems

Think about the death against how many million doses already administered

Wrong that's not the person being investigated.

I have no problem taking Pfizer my 2nd Pfizer jab is 17th of Sept.