Bit of a dilemma covid infection

orchidfan

3 hours ago, orchidfan said:

Thanks, that sounds encouraging. 

I have no health issues and never had a cold or flu in over 40years. 

Maybe I can risk it. Wear a mask,keep my distance and hope for the best.

I understand your plight and compassion, however in these times anyone who has had Covid, recovered or not, should be steered clear of IMO, helping out one by taking them in for a little while under normal circumstances is understandable, but in these times, ones life is more important, so IMO best to not accommodate her in your house, the hotel, anywhere with an allowance for food is best for a week, after that, it's up to you.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, 4MyEgo said:

I understand your plight and compassion, however in these times anyone who has had Covid, recovered or not, should be steered clear of IMO, helping out one by taking them in for a little while under normal circumstances is understandable, but in these times, ones life is more important, so IMO best to not accommodate her in your house, the hotel, anywhere with an allowance for food is best for a week, after that, it's up to you.

Thanks for your input.

You're probably 100% correct,  but this is Thai family and it's hard to refuse. If you know Thai family...I'm sure you do.

Anyway I'll reassess tomorrow. You know how it changes here daily..

She's been given the stone wall by other relatives, and having read the comments and science, I think the risk is minimal. 

I'll probably take the chance and show "them" what we're made of.

Will let you know how it goes. 

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Kwasaki said:

Wrong that's not the person being investigated.

I have no problem taking Pfizer my 2nd Pfizer jab is 17th of Sept.

Please link me to the investigation of which you post, I would be interested in reading about it and following up with it.

9 hours ago, orchidfan said:

Thanks for your input.

You're probably 100% correct,  but this is Thai family and it's hard to refuse. If you know Thai family...I'm sure you do.

Anyway I'll reassess tomorrow. You know how it changes here daily..

She's been given the stone wall by other relatives, and having read the comments and science, I think the risk is minimal. 

I'll probably take the chance and show "them" what we're made of.

Will let you know how it goes. 

Your welcome.

I accept that it is your choice, that said, I do know all about Family, regardless of nationality, but as we are talking about Thai family, the 1st thing I did here was establish the I was me, and my wife was my wife, her family was that, her family.

I never put restrictions on them, apart from the fact that I like my privacy, my wife understands me as she lived abroad with me for 10 years, suffice to say she keeps her family at bay, knowing how farangs call before coming over, even though we all live in the same village, none of them visit which is how I like it, apart from her youngest sister who is a single mother and very needy, she would come over with her 2 year old at least 3 times a day and he would trash the place while she would sit and play her mobile off of our internet, no control over the kid, expecting our kids to look after him while she laze about on the chase, she always wanting to borrow 100 baht here and there from her sister, take some food with her, and while I would turn a blind eye to it, my wife knew that it bugs me and would apologise, and I would tell her that it wasn't her problem and made a suggestion to her, which was instead of your sister coming over 3 times a day, why don't we lock the gate, and if she asks why is the gate always locked, tell her your husband doesn't want people coming around because of Covid, that went straight over the top didn't it, as she would ring my wife 3 times a day when she was at the gate, my wife would go and open and stay in the front yard with her until she would leave, that was another suggestion of mine, and of course when she asked why don't we go inside, she would say my husband is asleep, and alternate, the kids have home schooling and my husband doesn't want them disturbed till they finish their school work, eventually she got it, now she comes over once a day if we are so unlucky, and with the 2 year old maybe once a week. Suffice to say sometimes you got to be cruel to be kind otherwise people will take advantage of you.

If you want to show this 29 year old how compassionate you are and putting those that have stone walled her in place by showing them what you are made of, then by all means, more the fool you in my opinion, however it could back fire as Covid at your age is a death wish and I hope that is not the case.

I applaud your chivalry, however I don't buy that you can't refuse the Thai family, it's all about how you respond and your approach and if you break an egg shell, then so be it.

I have refused all of her family members and extended family, on many occasions for many things and my wife explains to them that they are not my family, she actually respects my stance, she is my family as are our kids, I do not have a welcome mat out the front of my house for anyone who wants to infringe on our privacy, you know how Thai families can be if you allow them to be, that said, we do help out here and there when required, however on our terms and conditions, simple really.

Best of luck either way, but you really have nothing to prove (hero) ????

2 hours ago, RJRS1301 said:

Please link me to the investigation of which you post, I would be interested in reading about it and following up with it.

It's on Google Search, just ask the question it's a rare case so no one should worry about it. 

2 hours ago, 4MyEgo said:

Your welcome.

I accept that it is your choice, that said, I do know all about Family, regardless of nationality, but as we are talking about Thai family, the 1st thing I did here was establish the I was me, and my wife was my wife, her family was that, her family.

I never put restrictions on them, apart from the fact that I like my privacy, my wife understands me as she lived abroad with me for 10 years, suffice to say she keeps her family at bay, knowing how farangs call before coming over, even though we all live in the same village, none of them visit which is how I like it, apart from her youngest sister who is a single mother and very needy, she would come over with her 2 year old at least 3 times a day and he would trash the place while she would sit and play her mobile off of our internet, no control over the kid, expecting our kids to look after him while she laze about on the chase, she always wanting to borrow 100 baht here and there from her sister, take some food with her, and while I would turn a blind eye to it, my wife knew that it bugs me and would apologise, and I would tell her that it wasn't her problem and made a suggestion to her, which was instead of your sister coming over 3 times a day, why don't we lock the gate, and if she asks why is the gate always locked, tell her your husband doesn't want people coming around because of Covid, that went straight over the top didn't it, as she would ring my wife 3 times a day when she was at the gate, my wife would go and open and stay in the front yard with her until she would leave, that was another suggestion of mine, and of course when she asked why don't we go inside, she would say my husband is asleep, and alternate, the kids have home schooling and my husband doesn't want them disturbed till they finish their school work, eventually she got it, now she comes over once a day if we are so unlucky, and with the 2 year old maybe once a week. Suffice to say sometimes you got to be cruel to be kind otherwise people will take advantage of you.

If you want to show this 29 year old how compassionate you are and putting those that have stone walled her in place by showing them what you are made of, then by all means, more the fool you in my opinion, however it could back fire as Covid at your age is a death wish and I hope that is not the case.

I applaud your chivalry, however I don't buy that you can't refuse the Thai family, it's all about how you respond and your approach and if you break an egg shell, then so be it.

I have refused all of her family members and extended family, on many occasions for many things and my wife explains to them that they are not my family, she actually respects my stance, she is my family as are our kids, I do not have a welcome mat out the front of my house for anyone who wants to infringe on our privacy, you know how Thai families can be if you allow them to be, that said, we do help out here and there when required, however on our terms and conditions, simple really.

Best of luck either way, but you really have nothing to prove (hero) ????

Thanks for your comments. 

Luckily 90% of my wife's family live way up in the North east, so rarely see any of them.....maybe once or twice a year (pre covid). They know I'm just like you and have kept their distance a.d never ask for anything. 

This "girl" is from another branch of the family but I've known her for nearly 20years, but haven't seen much of her. Her 10yo son is very quiet and well behaved, but I've suffered others coming around with their out of control monsters jumping on the sofa etc.

I've checked and she does have a negative PCR test done on release from hospital,  so seems she's probably not too infectious. 

I'm not trying to be a hero (don't need to) but I'd at least like to extend some help when others won't. 

But I'll still think about the hotel option after she arrives. 

As noted, at a hotel she can have friends (unvaxed I'm sure ) come to see her which I definitely don't want here!

All the best ????

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, orchidfan said:

I've checked and she does have a negative PCR test done on release from hospital,  so seems she's probably not too infectious. 

You've done your home work then.

I'm not trying to be a hero (don't need to) but I'd at least like to extend some help when others won't. 

I was being facetious when saying (hero) as I know you are caring and mean well for the girl from your post ????

But I'll still think about the hotel option after she arrives. 

As noted, at a hotel she can have friends (unvaxed I'm sure ) come to see her which I definitely don't want here!

Don't commit till your ready, suffice to say that there is nothing wrong with your wife explaining to her that you cannot take any chances of being infected as it would be a death sentence, something on those lines and I am sure she will appreciate your honesty and generosity paying for the hotel and food.

You are a better man than me, I won't have anyone staying here, whether they have had Covid or not, cannot afford to take the chance, it would be a death wish on me, suffice to say my wife's son who had been home for a while asked his mother if he could go and stay with his girlfriend for a week, we sat down and discussed it and said to him, on one proviso, i.e. you do not go out and about apart from getting food to take home, or eat in when there are not a lot of people as we cannot afford you bring the virus back here as it would disrupt the family, e.g. we might all end up in different hospitals and the youngest is 7 followed by 11 and I have an underlying condition, he agreed to the terms and off he went, he stayed for 10 days, he is that age where you want to you know and we told him that he has to wear one because we will not support him getting a girl pregnant, that said a week later my wife's sister (auntie) to him, by a few years, asked him in front of us how was his trip to another province and if the skin clinic gave him any freebies for her, OMG, my wife lost it, I asked for translation as I could see she was furious, and she said he caught the bus for a two hour trip to go to a skin clinic with his girlfriend.

We have not seen him since that day, about a week ago, he could have exposed us, but lied, not the first time, so the wife told him to move to his girlfriends, no skin off of mine or my wife's nose, you raise them best you can, but if they want to continue to lie and expose everyone because of their selfishness, then they can go where the grass is supposed to be greener, with our blessing.  

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, 4MyEgo said:

You've done your home work then.

I was being facetious when saying (hero) as I know you are caring and mean well for the girl from your post ????

Don't commit till your ready, suffice to say that there is nothing wrong with your wife explaining to her that you cannot take any chances of being infected as it would be a death sentence, something on those lines and I am sure she will appreciate your honesty and generosity paying for the hotel and food.

You are a better man than me, I won't have anyone staying here, whether they have had Covid or not, cannot afford to take the chance, it would be a death wish on me, suffice to say my wife's son who had been home for a while asked his mother if he could go and stay with his girlfriend for a week, we sat down and discussed it and said to him, on one proviso, i.e. you do not go out and about apart from getting food to take home, or eat in when there are not a lot of people as we cannot afford you bring the virus back here as it would disrupt the family, e.g. we might all end up in different hospitals and the youngest is 7 followed by 11 and I have an underlying condition, he agreed to the terms and off he went, he stayed for 10 days, he is that age where you want to you know and we told him that he has to wear one because we will not support him getting a girl pregnant, that said a week later my wife's sister (auntie) to him, by a few years, asked him in front of us how was his trip to another province and if the skin clinic gave him any freebies for her, OMG, my wife lost it, I asked for translation as I could see she was furious, and she said he caught the bus for a two hour trip to go to a skin clinic with his girlfriend.

We have not seen him since that day, about a week ago, he could have exposed us, but lied, not the first time, so the wife told him to move to his girlfriends, no skin off of mine or my wife's nose, you raise them best you can, but if they want to continue to lie and expose everyone because of their selfishness, then they can go where the grass is supposed to be greener, with our blessing.  

My isn't here unfortunately, she's working as a chef in Hong Kong (where I met her 20years ago)  

We both have Permanent HKID. 

We purchased a restaurant over 10 years ago, then came the great floods of 2011, followed by the coup...curfew at 9pm. So that went belly up, millions of baht down the drain. So, it was her idea (the restaurant ) and she's been working hard to make amends. 

Pre covid I could pop over there regularly on Emirates (2hr flight, 7000 baht return ticket...I drank that in red wine on the flights !) so it was ok. But different story now of course!

For my last extension earlier this year she had to return, 2 weeks state quarantine here then 3 weeks quarantine on return to HK. 

But she has this lady's contact on Line and will clearly lay down the rules. 

Luckily I have no underlying conditions that covid would attack (mild arthritis and lower back pain, but managed with meds) and , as I've stated honestly before,  never had any Corona virus of any style in the last 40+ years. 

Must be the daily Vits B,C,zinc, Mg etc.(and beer of course !)

Hero....I think Maria Carey sang that.

Good song.????

• Like 2

Just now, orchidfan said:

My isn't here unfortunately, she's working as a chef in Hong Kong (where I met her 20years ago)  

We both have Permanent HKID. 

We purchased a restaurant over 10 years ago, then came the great floods of 2011, followed by the coup...curfew at 9pm. So that went belly up, millions of baht down the drain. So, it was her idea (the restaurant ) and she's been working hard to make amends. 

Pre covid I could pop over there regularly on Emirates (2hr flight, 7000 baht return ticket...I drank that in red wine on the flights !) so it was ok. But different story now of course!

For my last extension earlier this year she had to return, 2 weeks state quarantine here then 3 weeks quarantine on return to HK. 

But she has this lady's contact on Line and will clearly lay down the rules. 

Luckily I have no underlying conditions that covid would attack (mild arthritis and lower back pain, but managed with meds) and , as I've stated honestly before,  never had any Corona virus of any style in the last 40+ years. 

Must be the daily Vits B,C,zinc, Mg etc.(and beer of course !)

Hero....I think Maria Carey sang that.

Good song.????

#wife

22 hours ago, orchidfan said:

released from hospital following a mild Covid19 infection

That's better then being vaccinated from some articles I've read. They would not release her if she didn't test negative. I'm 68, 4+ months from 69 and I'd have no second thoughts about her visiting if she was my relative (nor should you). Exercise normal precautions; wash you hands, arms and face regularly, don't cough or sneeze in each others direction and if you like, wear a mask.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, AgMech Cowboy said:

That's better then being vaccinated from some articles I've read. They would not release her if she didn't test negative. I'm 68, 4+ months from 69 and I'd have no second thoughts about her visiting if she was my relative (nor should you). Exercise normal precautions; wash you hands, arms and face regularly, don't cough or sneeze in each others direction and if you like, wear a mask.

Yes I think she's safer than the person standing in line in front of me at 7/11.

Will wear masks inside when in a common area of the house.

Plenty of gel in pump dispensers around the house.

Having had the bl**dy infection I'm sure she's aware of the consequences of passing it on to her 70yo "uncle".

She can eat her Thai food separately from me and I'll relinquish the mart TV to her. I can watch wh5i need to (Australian football ) on my desktop in the study or my laptop on the bef.

No big drama.

Appreciate your feedback. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, orchidfan said:

Yes I think she's safer than the person standing in line in front of me at 7/11.

Will wear masks inside when in a common area of the house.

Plenty of gel in pump dispensers around the house.

Having had the bl**dy infection I'm sure she's aware of the consequences of passing it on to her 70yo "uncle".

She can eat her Thai food separately from me and I'll relinquish the mart TV to her. I can watch wh5i need to (Australian football ) on my desktop in the study or my laptop on the bef.

No big drama.

Appreciate your feedback. 

#smart TV ...and watch what I need to on the bed.

Sorry,  getting old ????

• Haha 1

On 8/29/2021 at 3:59 PM, orchidfan said:

I guess that's one solution...but of course she's got no money so everything including food etc would be on me (no big deal).

I guess I was really wondering if she's any more or less risk to me than the people I mix with at the local Lotus or 7/11?

Although not vaccinated, she has had and (apparently) recovered from the damn thing. 

Offer her a room with conditions of stay.

Social distancing at all times in the house, possible mask wearing inside the house, cleanliness.

Meal times etc must have set-rules, things like that.

You are the important one not her recovery.

If she declines that's her choice.

1 minute ago, hotchilli said:

Offer her a room with conditions of stay.

Social distancing at all times in the house, possible mask wearing inside the house, cleanliness.

Meal times etc must have set-rules, things like that.

You are the important one not her recovery.

If she declines that's her choice.

Yes. All you've mentioned will happen without argument. 

But in typical thai style,  she was released around midday, picked up by a friend, but has still not arrived here  (1615hrs). 

I suspect that she's gone to see her son first??

Maybe I'll have 2 guests not one.

Whatever,  we'll all keep apart,  wear masks etc.

I can only do my best.

Pretty sure I'll be ok. So far after 18 months, no problems yet. 

And BIG thanks to the USA for their Pfizer donation. 

I'm sure I wouldn't have hit it without that (I'm not American btw)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Cake Monster said:

To be a bit of a Devils Advocate, 

If She gets into the House, you may have serious issues actually getting Her out again.

Fair enough. Reasonable thinking for a farang living here long term. 

Whatever,  a week,  a month? 

She's penniless, and I have the room and money to help out if needs be.

But as I've mentioned before she has a 10yo son, registered in a school and house a long way from here. 

He's a nice calm quiet boy (unusual for some local kids) but I'm not going to play Mr Dad at 70.

Been there done that with 4 back in Oz decades ago. Not up for it now.

I think she'll move on.

On 8/29/2021 at 4:22 PM, RJRS1301 said:

Sinovac has a noted 40% efficacy after 12 weeks, which is far less than either Pfizer or AZ or Moderna

Given a choice I would not be using either Sinovac or Sputnik 

I wouldn't want it either, but if  you can only do two Sinovac or Sinopharm and then get a booster of AZ, that would give you great protection.

Edited by ClaySmc
typo

On 8/29/2021 at 4:09 PM, orchidfan said:

Oh great !!

So I guess she probably still quite infectious ?

It'd most likely be only Sinovac anyway being Thai and her age.

If she was released, she should not be infectious - she should have returned 2 negative swabs, at least, before beign released. Ask her about that. 

1 hour ago, orchidfan said:

I don't think she has to quarantine. 

She's had it, recovered, with a negative PCR test on being released from hospital. 

The week at my house will be just some R&R before trying to go back into the workforce. 

I'll be ok. The least I can do when other "family " members don't wish to make contact with a (previously) infected. 

So much for their Buddhist faith. 

She should be OK to stay (missed this post)

Not much about Buddhist faith - just low education, really. 

1 minute ago, DavisH said:

If she was released, she should not be infectious - she should have returned 2 negative swabs, at least, before beign released. Ask her about that. 

Yes, she says.....on LINE, that she has a recent negative test. 

So I'm ok with that. 

I don't !

Just 1 Pfizer jab a week ago. 

Should be ok.

• Like 1

On 8/29/2021 at 3:59 PM, orchidfan said:

I guess that's one solution...but of course she's got no money so everything including food etc would be on me (no big deal).

I guess I was really wondering if she's any more or less risk to me than the people I mix with at the local Lotus or 7/11?

Although not vaccinated, she has had and (apparently) recovered from the damn thing. 

Just let her stay with you , your house is big enough and she probably has more antibodies from having been infected then most of the people that got vaccinated . This has been proven in studies , people that recovered from covid many times have more antibodies fighting the virus then vaccinated people . And she is quit young and i geuss healthy enough otherwise she wouldn't have recovered . But that's just my opinion and going on what i have heard . The dicision is all yours in the end . 

• Like 1

On 8/29/2021 at 9:41 PM, orchidfan said:

Thanks for the offer.

I'm in Rangsit so choices of local accommodation are very limited. 

As I said above. One I checked on close by are Temporarily closed !

Yes my house has 3br and 3 bathrooms so no problems there. 

I guess food Is the other hassle,  I only cook western food for myself. 

Could maybe get home delivery for her, but never done that before !

You don't have to use an hotel near you. I'm sure she will understand why you don't want her in the same house and will be grateful for a room elsewhere and a few hundred baht for food etc.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

You don't have to use an hotel near you. I'm sure she will understand why you don't want her in the same house and will be grateful for a room elsewhere and a few hundred baht for food etc.

Im feeling the woman needs to feel "cared for" and not just needing accommodation and food. Feeling the need to be supported by family, as many have already stigmatised and rejected her,  and not feel stigmatised. 

Edited by RJRS1301
  • Thanks 1

On 8/29/2021 at 4:15 PM, RJRS1301 said:

I do think they would not  have discharged her if considered infectious.

Her immune system is being stimulated with antibodies from her infection,thus given her an immunity to further severe infection, until vaccine can be given.

To introduced a vaccine into the stimulation of the antibodies, could cause a cytokine storm and make her very unwell. 

I agree that if she had Covid and was released from the hospital, she is not infectious.  Should be safe, but use masks and gel.  Cheers