Bangkok Taxis , covid compliant ?

superal

When booking a Bangkok taxi for a longish trip are they all covid safe ? i.e. Are the drivers vaccinated and if so do they display their vaccine certs and is it in the Thai language only ?  Are the taxis cleaned to a virus clean standard and is there a screen between the driver and backseat passengers ? 

This is the norm in the UK at the moment with unannounced daily inspections by the licencing authorities where I live and I was interested if Thailand has the same standards . I cannot imagine that taxis that work on the ranks or get flagged down could follow a strict hygiene process but a private hire taxi could .

• Haha 2

Three months and two month ago, i was in Bangkok, and took only taxis ( did'nt want the crowed BTS ans MRT ) , for at least 30 minutes each time, my wife spoke all the time with the drivers, everybody had a mask, no screen between, and as you see, three months later , I am still here, not sick, so for me, no problem ... I took also two taxis for 150 kms each , same  result,  not sick and at that time I was not vaccinated but one driver at least was; now I think that all of them are vaccinated 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Caldera said:

Nothing is "safe" in Bangkok. With a bit of luck, you get a taxi with functioning seat belts and tyres that aren't tired yet.

2 or 3 years ago and going back 8 years I would take a taxi 3 or 4 times a year from Suvarnabhumi airport on a 400 km trip and most of the times they were decent taxis and drivers but if they were run down cabs I would ask to be taken to the bus station . However I have been in some cabs , when staying in Bangkok , that would not be allowed to trade in the UK .   

Sticking to the topic , covid prepared taxis please 

3 hours ago, superal said:

Are the taxis cleaned to a virus clean standard and is there a screen between the driver and backseat passengers ? 

Seriously .....Who knows ?

Very risky for a long journey in such a confined space.  Not to be taken lightly with the contagious Delta variant currently the most common. Even if you have been double jabbed I wouldn't risk it.

Best option is to hire a car and drive yourself. Might cost a little more but definitely the safest option.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, superal said:

When booking a Bangkok taxi for a longish trip are they all covid safe

No

Are the drivers vaccinated

No.

do they display their vaccine certs

No

Are the taxis cleaned

No

is there a screen

No

a private hire taxi could .

Yes

In Bangkok,  I use only Cabb ( the London taxis). Screen, clean, mask and disinfectant, and some drivers may even be vaccinated (vaccination in Thailand often is handled by companies/employers).

For overland trips,  I know 2 places to hire a car and driver. Screen, clean, mask and disinfectant. 

I open the  back windows on both sides. 

Prices 50-80% more than regular taxis.

BTW The first person in Thailand who died from covid last year was a taxi driver. Later they became one of the groups with most fatalities. 

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Lorry said:

No

No.

No

No

No

Yes

In Bangkok,  I use only Cabb ( the London taxis). Screen, clean, mask and disinfectant, and some drivers may even be vaccinated (vaccination in Thailand often is handled by companies/employers).

For overland trips,  I know 2 places to hire a car and driver. Screen, clean, mask and disinfectant. 

I open the  back windows on both sides. 

Prices 50-80% more than regular taxis.

BTW The first person in Thailand who died from covid last year was a taxi driver. Later they became one of the groups with most fatalities. 

Thanks Lorry for some good info that will probably also enlighten a lot of Aseannow readers . If you could let me know the name and numbers for the overland trips it would help further .

19 hours ago, superal said:

booking a Bangkok taxi for a longish trip

@superal If you wish, I can give you the telephone number or LINE contact for an English speaking, 'green tag' airport taxi driver, whom I consider very clean. I don't remember if he had a screen, but he can provide if you require. I'm not sure which 'limo'/taxi company he works for, but I can get that, too. I know there is a set price to Pattaya and most other cities.

PS: I also know a regular city taxi driver who has installed a plastic barrier in his metered taxi and he also cleans his taxi regularly, if you want his contact details. He also is a Grab driver.

Edited by AgMech Cowboy
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, AgMech Cowboy said:

@superal If you wish, I can give you the telephone number or LINE contact for an English speaking, 'green tag' airport taxi driver, whom I consider very clean. I don't remember if he had a screen, but he can provide if you require. I'm not sure which 'limo'/taxi company he works for, but I can get that, too. I know there is a set price to Pattaya and most other cities.

Many thanks , please pm me with the info 

Are the taxis cleaned to a virus clean standard

18 hours ago, Denim said:

Seriously .....Who knows ?

Very risky for a long journey in such a confined space.  Not to be taken lightly with the contagious Delta variant currently the most common. Even if you have been double jabbed I wouldn't risk it.

Best option is to hire a car and drive yourself. Might cost a little more but definitely the safest option.

Beat me to it.

Seriously, indeed.

Given the ease of obtaining forged documents in Bkk, I for one would put no faith in anything on a piece of paper purporting to be official.

As for "Are the taxis cleaned to a virus clean standard" I'd pay money to see a Bkk taxi driver cleaning his taxi to that extent, between passengers.

21 hours ago, superal said:

This is the norm in the UK at the moment with unannounced daily inspections by the licencing authorities where I live and I was interested if Thailand has the same standards

I would suspect not. Tell me if I'm wrong.

20 hours ago, Denim said:

Except when you look at the accident statistics, of course! Richard Barrow carries a CO₂ meter. CO₂ is what we exhale. 800 is safe. Taxis with windows up, 1800. So imagine what a rot too CO₂ reading might be! Opening as many windows as you can brings CO₂ back down to a safe level. Double-mask, no talking.

On 8/29/2021 at 8:48 PM, Aforek said:

Three months and two month ago, i was in Bangkok, and took only taxis ( did'nt want the crowed BTS ans MRT ) , for at least 30 minutes each time, my wife spoke all the time with the drivers, everybody had a mask, no screen between, and as you see, three months later , I am still here, not sick, so for me, no problem ... I took also two taxis for 150 kms each , same  result,  not sick and at that time I was not vaccinated but one driver at least was; now I think that all of them are vaccinated 

Licensed drivers might have had one shot, however many drivers are not licensed, they operate under the radar in a shared taxi.

On 8/30/2021 at 12:28 AM, superal said:

Thanks Lorry for some good info that will probably also enlighten a lot of Aseannow readers . If you could let me know the name and numbers for the overland trips it would help further .

TV doesnt let me post it here.

I will try to pm you