Are Appetite Suppressants Available in Pharmacies?

Chris.B

Afaik all the appetite suppressants that do really work are based on amphetamines, thus they are controlled drugs. (Besides of maybe nicotine...)

So a pharmacy can't sell it to you legally unless a doctor prescribed it.

Edited by jackdd
  • Like 1

is the issue that you are hungry too often and can't control your appetite? 

Depending on how much weight, a few extra pounds as we get on in years can actually be helpful... 

There is no magic pill and weight loss pills can be very dangerous... check w/a doctor first. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, 1FinickyOne said:

is the issue that you are hungry too often and can't control your appetite? 

Depending on how much weight, a few extra pounds as we get on in years can actually be helpful... 

There is no magic pill and weight loss pills can be very dangerous... check w/a doctor first. 

No, I want to reduce my weight by eating less. I thought suppressing my appetite would help me.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Chris.B said:

No, I want to reduce my weight by eating less. I thought suppressing my appetite would help me.

Well, as one friend used to say about smoking - - nobody else sticks the cigarette in his mouth... That said: 

Losing weight can be much much tougher than you might think... not sure how much you want to lose but beyond a couple of kgs... 

First your metabolism might self adjust and slow to the decreased fuel coming in... then, if you reduce food intake enough, your body will interpret that as starvation and present food cravings and feelings of hunger beyond what you might feel normally... we are still genetically hard wired to gain weight...

There are many many reasons why over 90% of people who go on weight loss programs eventually re-gain the weight and more. 

You might gain some traction by eliminating sugars and carbs and beer and such... good luck and careful of the slippery slope... success might be measured in not to continue the weight gain... 

taking amphetamines that can lead to a heart attack is not a good answer - for most. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 1FinickyOne said:

Well, as one friend used to say about smoking - - nobody else sticks the cigarette in his mouth... That said: 

Losing weight can be much much tougher than you might think... not sure how much you want to lose but beyond a couple of kgs... 

First your metabolism might self adjust and slow to the decreased fuel coming in... then, if you reduce food intake enough, your body will interpret that as starvation and present food cravings and feelings of hunger beyond what you might feel normally... we are still genetically hard wired to gain weight...

There are many many reasons why over 90% of people who go on weight loss programs eventually re-gain the weight and more. 

You might gain some traction by eliminating sugars and carbs and beer and such... good luck and careful of the slippery slope... success might be measured in not to continue the weight gain... 

taking amphetamines that can lead to a heart attack is not a good answer - for most. 

Nothing you have said answers my question. ????

Are Appetite Suppressants Available in Pharmacies?

I need to lose weight without killing myself!

Some may offer what you want and give good advice. The opposite is also a chance you take. Some will sell it just for the sale.

As stated most Appetite Suppressants are amphetamine based and therefore prescription only.

• Like 1

Can you find a dodgy Chinese pharmacy? They always seem to sell all sorts, including these capsules. If so please share the details with me. Yes they're amphetamine and yes they leave you tied to the crapper, but they do work. Not seen them in Thailand but then I haven't looked hard. ????????

they used to sell diet pills (for dancing all night) at the full moon parties on KPG a good few years ago

i bet there is a few pharmacies around who did not get the memo regarding them being made illegal, and could sell you some

like others say tho - i am not sure it is the best way to lose weight

• Like 1

My 0.02$

1) the only amphetamine like weight loss you can get is Duromine (now made in Thailand) and is STRICTLY controlled. You can only get it from registered HOSPITALS (not pharmacies) and only certain places can prescribe this. They are shipped (AFAIK) from a central place in Bangkok and only to hospitals. 

I went to Chiang Mai Ram, saw a doctor and got a prescription.

2) This Formoline L 112 is a <deleted> (literally) product -I 've tried them before. They are supposed to stop absorption in your gut of fat - and make your poos runny. I tried them and they did stuff all good because they assume you are filling yourself with cakes and the like and this is what they block.

3) My experience with Duromine is - yes it works (for a while, lose 4-8 kg is the plan for a 2-3 month course) but unless you change your "lifestyle" (exercise more, eat less) the weight will just bounce back as has been noted earlier.

Hope this helps.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

1 minute ago, scubascuba3 said:

Try this, it works, stop eating junk chocolate, crisps, cakes, pastries, biscuits, ice cream, crisps, chips, nuts, mostly fatty stuff.

Eat until full, if hungry keep eating, replace junk with carbs, toast,bread, rice etc.

It's really simple and works, no need for keto or intermittent fasting, ignore those people.

After 1 month you'll notice results.

If you want some junk, be disciplined, once a week incl alcohol until you're at the weight you want

Some people have stomach issues. I don't think you'll understand it until you experience it.

9 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

Eat until full, if hungry keep eating, replace junk with carbs, toast,bread, rice etc.

Most people understand full as something like "bloated" or "my usual portion." Studies show they exaggerate "moderate" and fool themselves that they're eating less than they really are.

Replacing the bad junk (though all to the good) with better junk like toast, bread, and rice merely means eating more of the better junk to feel full and therefore the same number of carbs and calories that'll maintain current fat levels or increase them. Veggies have carbs; eat all of those carbs you want.

After 1 month you'll notice results.

Probably not much, if any, but never say never, eh. Metabolisms differ. Everyone knows about CR (Calorie Restriction), cutting out the junk food, and "pushing away from the table" (a fundamental ANF Weight Loss Principle). Everyone tries it first, and most people soon give up, with the results you can see walking down any street.????

So if it happens you don't notice results, then ignore these sorts of people:

It's really simple and works, no need for keto or intermittent fasting, ignore those people.

as it's then clear that you need to try low carb, or keto, and intermittent fasting. That will definitely work and improve your blood lipids as well. You'll get over being hungry for any sort of junk after a week or two, impossible though it may seem now. Maintaining a healthy weight without being hungry is how so many can stick with a low carb lifestyle consistently. After a while, it's all on autopilot.

We've had many testimonials here over the years from successful low carb/keto dieters, but they're generally ignored amid the noise if not subject to hostile attacks. If you're interested in going that route, you'll need to hit some forums where people know what they're talking about. Lots of testimonials and support:

https://reddit.com/r/keto/
https://reddit.com/r/intermittentfasting/
https://thefastdiet.co.uk/forums/
https://forum.lowcarber.org/

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, BigStar said:

Most people understand full as something like "bloated" or "my usual portion." Studies show they exaggerate "moderate" and fool themselves that they're eating less than they really are.

Replacing the bad junk (though all to the good) with better junk like toast, bread, and rice merely means eating more of the better junk to feel full and therefore the same number of carbs and calories that'll maintain current fat levels or increase them. Veggies have carbs; eat all of those carbs you want.

Probably not much, if any, but never say never, eh. Metabolisms differ. Everyone knows about CR (Calorie Restriction), cutting out the junk food, and "pushing away from the table" (a fundamental ANF Weight Loss Principle). Everyone tries it first, and most people soon give up, with the results you can see walking down any street.????

So if it happens you don't notice results, then ignore these sorts of people:

as it's then clear that you need to try low carb, or keto, and intermittent fasting. That will definitely work and improve your blood lipids as well. You'll get over being hungry for any sort of junk after a week or two, impossible though it may seem now. Maintaining a healthy weight without being hungry is how so many can stick with a low carb lifestyle consistently. After a while, it's all on autopilot.

We've had many testimonials here over the years from successful low carb/keto dieters, but they're generally ignored amid the noise if not subject to hostile attacks. If you're interested in going that route, you'll need to hit some forums where people know what they're talking about. Lots of testimonials and support:

https://reddit.com/r/keto/
https://reddit.com/r/intermittentfasting/
https://thefastdiet.co.uk/forums/
https://forum.lowcarber.org/

I'm talking from experience it works, from people that have followed that simple method, including me, couldn't care less if you approve of it or not, you're are probably fighting the fat everyday

• Like 1

17 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

I'm talking from experience it works, from people that have followed that simple method, including me,

And so I noted never say never, eh. Metabolisms differ.

couldn't care less if you approve of it or not

Nor could I care less whether you couldn't care less if I approve or not. Have we got that outta the way now?

Of course, "approve" is a judgment call that only arises from your own projection anyway. Why worry?

you're are probably fighting the fat everyday

Self-serving fantasy. What about After a while, it's all on autopilot isn't clear to you? Why worry about me or if the OP has another choice if he doesn't achieve desired results following your advice?

I would like to know this too

Eat healthy (mostly chicken, veg, little rice) but drinking and no exercise is making weight go up every week

A few weeks ago I was prescribed an antibiotic called Roxithromycin and couldn’t physically eat or drink more than 1200 cals a day, lost 3kg in a week.

Surely there is a non-antibiotic drug that can do the same job?

(I’m unable to exercise anymore due to health issues)

1 hour ago, cyril sneer said:

I would like to know this too

Eat healthy (mostly chicken, veg, little rice) but drinking and no exercise is making weight go up every week

A few weeks ago I was prescribed an antibiotic called Roxithromycin and couldn’t physically eat or drink more than 1200 cals a day, lost 3kg in a week.

Surely there is a non-antibiotic drug that can do the same job?

(I’m unable to exercise anymore due to health issues)

how much are you drinking? a lot of calories in alcohol

• 4 months later...
On 9/4/2021 at 9:20 AM, cyril sneer said:

It never works..

The meds reduced it, as was too full to drink. There must be some medicine out there that does the same job 

I tried all kinds of appetite suppressants, a few work but are not healthy. I would not recommend it.

Best is just cut the booze your body will be thankful.

I had a problem with drinking syrup with sodawater. I just could not stop with one (you got the problem with alcohol i had it with sweet drinks). For me the only solution was to totally stop.

However that is a personal thing some people can do moderate (i can't im an all or nothing kind of guy).