Phuket Sandbox is failing foreign tourists: tourism official

webfact

people who come to phuket were <deleted> off that bars weren't open.     imagine what people coming to pattaya will be like.   so PM we know you got some sort of beef with alcohol but you best open the nightlife up for october or ya gonna have a trickle of tourists coming.  you might not like alcohol but tourists do when their on holiday.  wake up and smell the coffee.(or beer!)  

• Like 2

No surprise to readers of these columns. What will help advance are a few compromises:

1. Get the population vaccinated.

2. Only admit fully vaccinated, keep requirement for a LFT (not PCR).

3. Drop the quarantine.

4. Drop the insurance.

5. Restore and reopen the tourist infrastructure.

6. Accept that farang are needed, stop blaming them!: the epidemic is because the govt failed to patrol the borders with Burma (Bangladesh, India) - an impossible task, granted; and failed to keep night clubs and gambling dens closed and failed to shut down internal flights. 

Once this is agreed, progress can begin.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, kiwikeith said:

3000 baht ,3000 baht 3000 baht, every swab 3000 baht. When will Thailand wake up, the longer they leave the dictator in power, the worse it gets, now the UK has red listed smiles land, it’s going to cost 4000 pounds for .

Until the population is vaccinated, the country is effectively closed to tourism.

Longer stay, diplomats, workers, yes. But tens of millions of tourists? No.

Priority is to get the people vaccinated. That will allow restrictions to be listed.  Thailand will be back on amber lists.

The unemployment and resentment is very high. Put the people to work building a tourist infrastructure to outshine neighbouring competition.

Too much passivity amongst these people  Nothing will turn up on its own. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, kiwikeith said:

3000 baht ,3000 baht 3000 baht, every swab 3000 baht. When will Thailand wake up, the longer they leave the dictator in power, the worse it gets, now the UK has red listed smiles land, it’s going to cost 4000 pounds for quarantine to return from a broken sand box that was mainly used by expats to get back. Who now will even contemplate going there.

And by the way,in New Zealand anyone in the country is being vaccinated free, just show passport.

overstayers as well no questions asked, that’s Free vaccination.for anyone in the country, RNZ news today.

Not like the money grabbing fiasco, Thailand is turning into.

Same in the UK - just go to the local chemist (Boots for example) - and no sinocrap, now mostly Pfizer and Moderna (in Halifax anyway)

3 hours ago, Andy65 said:

Phuket is open for domestic tourists. Just need to fulfill the requirements and find a way to get here.

Almost no domestic flights, certainly none from Bangkok to Phuket, leaving Sarasin as the main potential entry point for Domestic tourists. At the checkpoint for the last few weeks you have needed proof of Phuket residency to be allowed in. Thais with ID's from other provinces are not generally allowed in. The entry vaccination requirements means most Thai's are not eligible to enter given that most of the population are not yet vaccinated. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, LivinLOS said:

News items like bloomberg listing Thailand as one of the worst places in the world to be at this stage of the pandemic.. UK red list.. USA, China, OZ etc all not coming.. 

Phuket sandbox merely allowed a system of bypassing ASQ for most part.. Which is why theres barely a handful who have gone to Samui Plus as it all come down to the easiest / cheapest route back in. 

2 years time ?? The tourist industry and the banks that are financing all these hotels, taxis, etc etc are not going to last 2 years.. Sure in 2 years some semblance of numbers will come back but the current players will be bankrupted without this years high season. Cest la vie.. They played the debt growth game expecting better years every year. Its a long time since 97 and it took well over a decade to clear out that malinvestment, this ones far worse. 

That's covid-related however. I don't think currently strongly affected countries will take a permanent reputation risk because of that or the political situation. Most tourists just don't care as long as the product/price is right. Besides, there aren't that many real alternatives in SEA - Bali is overcrowded even compared to Thailand. 

And as for tourism businesses failing, that's a problem for the business owners and banks, lots of people will lose a lot of money. But those hotels and restaurants will still be standing, just under new ownership. A big write-down on the initial investment also helps with operating costs, and could make Thailand a bit more affordable again too. Prices only knew one direction in the last 20 years, but it's a distinct possibility after 2022 I'd say. Global mass tourism will take a while to fully recover, but I would bet that it'll eventually happen. 

6 hours ago, Mickeymaus said:

If they want to travel at Covid times it is naive to expect a normal holiday. On top of it they might have problems to travel back to their home countries because of changing regulations or even cancelled flights (we had all this already last year). And if they test positive for Covid in the foreign country it might get an unforgettable holiday experience... 

Read a while ago that the top holiday destination for Brits this year was Cornwall!!!

• Like 1

7 hours ago, ezzra said:

Imagine if the y had the truth about Phuket who would have come? some probably would but only those who care about the beaches and the views, but anyone who thought that bars restaurants and other places of fun would be open got very disappointed, and i know, i just been there...

I dont know what parts of the island you visited but a friend has been there for months and he eats in western food restuarants once or twice everyday , with beer. Some he has to walk past because they are almost full and has to find a quieter one. So he is not the only person enjoying himself. Girlie bars open are easy to find too.

33 minutes ago, kiwikeith said:

3000 baht ,3000 baht 3000 baht, every swab 3000 baht. When will Thailand wake up, the longer they leave the dictator in power, the worse it gets, now the UK has red listed smiles land, it’s going to cost 4000 pounds for quarantine to return from a broken sand box that was mainly used by expats to get back. Who now will even contemplate going there.

And by the way,in New Zealand anyone in the country is being vaccinated free, just show passport.

overstayers as well no questions asked, that’s Free vaccination.for anyone in the country, RNZ news today.

Not like the money grabbing fiasco, Thailand is turning into.

"Not like the money grabbing fiasco, Thailand is turning into."

I never had any doubt that Thailand's duly elected democratic government, and business leaders would have it any other way!

• Haha 1

55 minutes ago, HappyExpat57 said:

Books can get lost. Most people would lose a limb before losing their cell phone.

Are you saying that phones don't get lost or stolen? No one will steal my WHO Vac book.

Funny that. I've had my book for twenty years. It stays in my wallet.

I put more value on my wallet than any kind of phone........plus the book weighs next to nothing, which is more than can be said of a phone.

If my small book drops from my hand, I can pick it up. What happens if your drop your phone and it breaks on the flight here? You're stuffed.

Anyway, that's my final word on this rather sill tangent.

Edited by KarenBravo
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, Nanaplaza666 said:

Has anybody seen mr Eibot on here lately ?? He lives on phuket and is saying that the litterbox is working for weeks already and i had a discusion with him that lasted about two weeks about this point ???????? 

Same with StevenL he is absent from this thread as well....hmmm

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Abik said:

This is really stupid conduct.  Tourists should receive a green pass for free movement in Phuket and the surrounding islands, subject to a double vaccine received at most five months earlier.  

Tourists will not fly such a long way just to visit Phuket without the surrounding islands, and certainly not to pass a series of endless expensive checks.

Anyone needs a green pass I can get them...500 baht 

2 hours ago, hotchilli said:

Probably a lot lees than the 70% were vaccinated as promised, and then only one shot of the useless Sinovac against the DElta strain.

Maybe we see the Phuket strategy happening nationally, at the moment 30% have had one shot, mostly Sinovac, and talks are becoming push to re-open.

Sinovac will keep you off a ventilator. Take any vaccine offered to stay alive. Far from useless. I hate when I read this kind of thing. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

5 minutes ago, thailandheron said:

I dont know what parts of the island you visited but a friend has been there for months and he eats in western food restuarants once or twice everyday , with beer. Some he has to walk past because they are almost full and has to find a quieter one. So he is not the only person enjoying himself. Girlie bars open are easy to find too.

Gloating about a friend who has been to Phuket and breaks the rules by drinking beer in restaurants daily and visiting girlie bars that should be closed is not something to be proud about. 

• Like 2

So far as I am aware Thailand is the only South East Asia country to try and open for Tourism. At least Phuket Sandbox allows some freedom unlike the Samui plus which doomed to failure. Restrictions should be gradually reduced and freedom to travel between Phuket and Samui would help to boost Tourism which will be in no way near past numbers whilst Covid persists 

• Like 1

Blah blah blah ???? 

This is what really counts, this is what's being spread around.

"He said that he had received complaints from tourists that not only could they not move around as promised but it was ridiculous that they could not get a beer or a glass of wine. 

Foreigners had said that they were misled into thinking that Phuket was really open when in reality it was not"

Do they honestly believe that those lied to and mislead are going to recommend to friends let alone return!

Well done!

• Like 1

8 hours ago, webfact said:

He spoke of visitors being unable to travel to places like Krabi and Koh Phi Phi because of onerous swab tests on return to Phuket. 

Consequently they were not making onward bookings.

He said that he had received complaints from tourists that not only could they not move around as promised but it was ridiculous that they could not get a beer or a glass of wine

Finally an honest assessment. It's hardly attractive for a real tourist.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, chinasimon said:

And as for tourism businesses failing, that's a problem for the business owners and banks, lots of people will lose a lot of money. But those hotels and restaurants will still be standing, just under new ownership. A big write-down on the initial investment also helps with operating costs, and could make Thailand a bit more affordable again too. Prices only knew one direction in the last 20 years, but it's a distinct possibility after 2022 I'd say. Global mass tourism will take a while to fully recover, but I would bet that it'll eventually happen.

But its generally the business owners clinging on trying not to get wiped out who are the proponents of 'hey lets just open up and accept the risk' how very noble of them.. Its very obvious on FB reading post threads who has a tourist facing business.. I agree, a full flush out, debt write off, and restart is required.. And given I dont see mass tourism next year either I feel like we will get it it.. 

• Like 1

It's not so much that the Sandbox is failing, quite the opposite as I have mentioned many times on this forum.

What is failing is a constructive plan for the inevitable rise of Covid-19 cases on the Island. At the moment, the measures are still based on a non-vaccinated population, hence they panic that the cases go up. We need to base the measures on a vaccinated population (which Phuket mostly is), and focus on having only vaccinated people on the island, slowly opening everything up, and focus on symptomatic cases/hospitalization.  

They apply a pre-vaccinated approach on a vaccinated island. We're past this stage. You either accept the inevitable infections or don't and just lock everyone up. Can't have it both ways. 

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Eibot said:

It's not so much that the Sandbox is failing, quite the opposite as I have mentioned many times on this forum.

What is failing is a constructive plan for the inevitable rise of Covid-19 cases on the Island. At the moment, the measures are still based on a non-vaccinated population, hence they panic that the cases go up. We need to base the measures on a vaccinated population (which Phuket mostly is), and focus on having only vaccinated people on the island, slowly opening everything up, and focus on symptomatic cases/hospitalization.  

They apply a pre-vaccinated approach on a vaccinated island. We're past this stage. You either accept the inevitable infections or don't and just lock everyone up. Can't have it both ways. 

4 people died last week.. how much focus does that need ??