Phuket Sandbox is failing foreign tourists: tourism official

webfact

23 minutes ago, Eibot said:

It's not so much that the Sandbox is failing, quite the opposite as I have mentioned many times on this forum.

What is failing is a constructive plan for the inevitable rise of Covid-19 cases on the Island. At the moment, the measures are still based on a non-vaccinated population, hence they panic that the cases go up. We need to base the measures on a vaccinated population (which Phuket mostly is), and focus on having only vaccinated people on the island, slowly opening everything up, and focus on symptomatic cases/hospitalization.  

They apply a pre-vaccinated approach on a vaccinated island. We're past this stage. You either accept the inevitable infections or don't and just lock everyone up. Can't have it both ways. 

The problem is the percentage of vaccinated population in Phuket is no where near the claimed numbers.  They don't include those Thais who are living in Phuket but not registered here to make the percentage looks good.  So long you can't control the spread of the virus in Phuket, no one will come even all the hoops are removed.

9 hours ago, webfact said:

They need Bangkok tourists and the Chinese and Europeans in large numbers to survive. 

Well if that's the case then relying on Chinese tourists its going to fail. Currently it's impossible for anyone to leave China for tourism purposes. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Sticky Rice Balls said:

Lies are Plural..Truth is Singular.....

Sooner or later the Truth is revealed.

Ive found this esp true chatting with thai females online....

Reason #9649749 why I would still choose BKK ASQ over the Sandox(quicksand)

I want to go home to Pattaya but am now considering ASQ over sandbox  Cant drink either way ….doubled vaxed Pfizer and probed more times up the nose and STILL  14 nights. PRISON. hiseason in Thailand. Wont happen.  RIP Thailand 

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Kopitiam said:

The problem is the percentage of vaccinated population in Phuket is no where near the claimed numbers.  They don't include those Thais who are living in Phuket but not registered here to make the percentage looks good.  So long you can't control the spread of the virus in Phuket, no one will come even all the hoops are removed.

I don't think the numbers are off by a lot. People who don't have a registered housebook here had the possibility for many months to go the the amphur and get a shot. Everything was quite neatly organized. The big difference with Thailand and (most) of our home countries, is that Thais are very willing to get a shot. They go out of there way to get one, as opposed to the west.  

What CAN be a problem, is that a certain % has been vaccinated by Sinovac. We don't know how effective this will be against hospitalization. However, there is only one way to find out. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

1 minute ago, Eibot said:

I don't think the numbers are off by a lot. People who don't have a registered housebook here had the possibility for many months to go the the amphur and get a shot. Everything was quite neatly organized. The big difference with Thailand and (most) of our home countries, is that Thais are very willing to get a shot. They go out of there way to get one, as opposed to the west.  

What CAN be a problem, is that a certain % has been vaccinated by Sinovac. We don't know how effective this will be against hospitalization. However, there is only one way to find out. 

However, many more have tried to get vaccinated here like my GF who is not Thai and under 40.  She was told maybe by the end of the year or next year.  Makes no sense to me as if they have the vaccines they say they have ordered why not vaccinate all.  It actually seems that vaccines are limited.  Lets hope I still get my second AstraZenica vaccination in 2 weeks, its been 10 weeks already. I was lucky to get a vaccination when I did as I am under 60, but have one of the 7 underlying medical conditions.

17 minutes ago, Eibot said:

The big difference with Thailand and (most) of our home countries, is that Thais are very willing to get a shot. They go out of there way to get one, as opposed to the west.  

That is absolute claptrap, there are more Thais refusing to get a shot than you can shake a stick at, my outlaws to start with, I have friends up north whose partners are saying no, some of the locals around me out here on the Darkside of Pattaya, the list goes on, yet all my expat mates and their Thai partners can't get it fast enough, in the UK all my family ( and I have a large extended family there ) have been jabbed, if you're an American I can understand your comment,  as they say, no sense no feeling.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Eibot said:

Oh, now we put the blame on Sinovac.  I do not know how the authority here tabulates the percentage vaccinated.  If non-locally registered Thais are given shots and the number of doses given out is put against registered population, the percentage will go up.  It doesn't matter what "suspect" percentage numbers they kid themselves with.  So long the spread of the virus is rampant, no tourists will come.  All the "optics" of closing markets and cleaning them will not do.

3 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

However, many more have tried to get vaccinated here like my GF who is not Thai and under 40.  She was told maybe by the end of the year or next year.  Makes no sense to me as if they have the vaccines they say they have ordered why not vaccinate all.  It actually seems that vaccines are limited.  Lets hope I still get my second AstraZenica vaccination in 2 weeks, its been 10 weeks already. I was lucky to get a vaccination when I did as I am under 60, but have one of the 7 underlying medical conditions.

I agree that the vaccine roll out for non-WP foreigners wasn't smooth as all. I got mine done outside the Phuket Must win program (I did register). At this moment when I log in, it gives me a timeslot for everyday of this week with a second slot 11 weeks later - Sinovac (1st) - AZ (2nd). I already have two AZ, but they are still giving it.  Also, many non-WP foreigners just walked in to the centers and got a shot on the spot (mostly AZ). If your girlfriend really wants a shot, I suggest she tries Lagoon - Bangtao. They give AZ shots there every friday. She should be able to get one if she notified her residence with immigration in Phuket. Just take her passport and go towards late afternoon. 

4 minutes ago, Eibot said:

I agree that the vaccine roll out for non-WP foreigners wasn't smooth as all. I got mine done outside the Phuket Must win program (I did register). At this moment when I log in, it gives me a timeslot for everyday of this week with a second slot 11 weeks later - Sinovac (1st) - AZ (2nd). I already have two AZ, but they are still giving it.  Also, many non-WP foreigners just walked in to the centers and got a shot on the spot (mostly AZ). If your girlfriend really wants a shot, I suggest she tries Lagoon - Bangtao. They give AZ shots there every friday. She should be able to get one if she notified her residence with immigration in Phuket. Just take her passport and go towards late afternoon. 

Unfortunately because of a medical condition she can not have either the AZ vaccine or Sinovac.  We had been trying to get her a Pfizer vaccination and had even paid for a Moderna vaccine which ended up being canceled due to an issue with procurement.....so still in a hold pattern unfortunately.

Lol the desperate doom mongers running out of doom gas on the Phuket sandbox, trying to scrape the very last bit of doom they can from it. As the tourist numbers keep ramping up, even though it's still ultra low season, and it gets harder and harder to find recent empty beach shots, they are left with "buhhh coviddd". ????

Edited by shdmn
  • Confused 2

Ones should  look how other nation perceive the COvid-19 numbers of Thailand as a whole.

England  has a 10 days quarantine for Thailand returnees... 

Hongkong ,China, Vietnam....21 days quarantines.

US has a travel advisory for Thailand.

Other countries do not see just the numbers from  Phuket but the  numbers reported by Thailand.

I think tourists will not visit Phuket this year.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, LivinLOS said:

4 people died last week.. how much focus does that need ?? 

Wow, that is like 3 more than all of New Zealand.   4 is so much bigger than 1.  You totally convinced me with that scary number.  And it's only like 1,292 less than the US deaths last week.  Pretty scary!

Edited by shdmn

1 hour ago, Golden Triangle said:

That is absolute claptrap, there are more Thais refusing to get a shot than you can shake a stick at, my outlaws to start with, I have friends up north whose partners are saying no, some of the locals around me out here on the Darkside of Pattaya, the list goes on, yet all my expat mates and their Thai partners can't get it fast enough, in the UK all my family ( and I have a large extended family there ) have been jabbed, if you're an American I can understand your comment,  as they say, no sense no feeling.

Interesting, I have the complete opposite. No matter who is right. Thailand implementers WAY harsher restrictions when it comes to vaccinations. Daily life on a short notice will become impossible here without a vaccination (no flying, no bus, not in the shopping malls, no school etc etc). In the west we are hesitant to implmentate this on the basis of "discrimination".

Whichever way you turn it, one way or another. All Thais will get a vaccine shortly. 

1 hour ago, Kopitiam said:

Oh, now we put the blame on Sinovac.  I do not know how the authority here tabulates the percentage vaccinated.  If non-locally registered Thais are given shots and the number of doses given out is put against registered population, the percentage will go up.  It doesn't matter what "suspect" percentage numbers they kid themselves with.  So long the spread of the virus is rampant, no tourists will come.  All the "optics" of closing markets and cleaning them will not do.

Like I said in the previous comment, the numbers are arguably less optimistic as they portray them to be, but I don't think they are far off. 

Besides this, I don't think you grasp the idea of vaccination. When we have everyone vaccinated in a certain area, the virus CAN and probably WILL go rampant. Vaccination does not stop spread, it stops you from developing serious conditions. Tourist won't be stopped from coming on the basis of infected people, just as they are not scared to walk around in their own country that is rampant of covid (but without serious consequences due to vaccines). My original point is that we need to stop looking at the infected numbers, and start acting on hospitalization numbers. EVERYONE IN THE WORLD will get Covid19 at some point in their live. You, me, your wife, your kids etc. It's pointless to keep looking at positive tests when you have the majority vaccinated. 

1 hour ago, ThailandRyan said:

Unfortunately because of a medical condition she can not have either the AZ vaccine or Sinovac.  We had been trying to get her a Pfizer vaccination and had even paid for a Moderna vaccine which ended up being canceled due to an issue with procurement.....so still in a hold pattern unfortunately.

That sucks ????

I heard BKK Hospital might get some Pfizer soon. Did you register her on the list there? 

11 hours ago, smedly said:

like I said a few days ago - they are not throwing too many numbers around like they were 4 weeks ago - I wonder why 

all fortold on the oracle of this forum 

red tape directed squarely at fully vaccinated foreigners only - they got it the wrong way round 

Vaccination of the Thai population with "effective" vaccines is the only way out of this - there are no shortcuts 

There is no reason why fully vaccinated tourists should not come to Thailand, that is not an issue - the issue is "what has Thailand got to offer" everything is closed down and now the added complication of Thailand now a red zone - the one key factor that it all comes down too is this governments spectacular failure when it comes to vaccines - they don't have enough and a lot of what they have has little impact on delta  

....and a lot of what they have has little impact on delta  ....

as is Israel, Iceland and the UK. So what ?   

1 hour ago, Eibot said:

Like I said in the previous comment, the numbers are arguably less optimistic as they portray them to be, but I don't think they are far off. 

Besides this, I don't think you grasp the idea of vaccination. When we have everyone vaccinated in a certain area, the virus CAN and probably WILL go rampant. Vaccination does not stop spread, it stops you from developing serious conditions. Tourist won't be stopped from coming on the basis of infected people, just as they are not scared to walk around in their own country that is rampant of covid (but without serious consequences due to vaccines). My original point is that we need to stop looking at the infected numbers, and start acting on hospitalization numbers. EVERYONE IN THE WORLD will get Covid19 at some point in their live. You, me, your wife, your kids etc. It's pointless to keep looking at positive tests when you have the majority vaccinated. 

"EVERYONE IN THE WORLD will get Covid19 at some point in their live. You, me, your wife, your kids etc. It's pointless to keep looking at positive tests when you have the majority vaccinated. "

Wow, which crystal ball are you looking into?  Might as well say throw everything into the wind.  Why border?  We all will be hospitalised at some point in our life.  I can put my neck out to declare we all will definitely die one day.

I can agree with you that we can start looking at hospitalisation numbers and deaths after achieving a very high level of vaccinated population.  But not with the level in Thailand and Phuket at present.  Take a look at Singapore.  They are onto something, 80% of population vaccinated and are opening up.  Everything under control.  No fudging of stats.  That is learning to live with COVID19. 

10 hours ago, sezze said:

The only difference is staying quarantine on  a island vs quarantine inside room . It gives more legroom , but that is the difference .   ......................

No, the Phuket Sandbox gives tourists free access around a beach paradise with somewhat muted tourism facilities and the Bangkok system (with 15 days Q) gives you free access to Thailand (without tourist facilities) and subject to the Covid rules in place from time to time.  The other difference is the generally much better level of awareness and purpose amongst those doing the Bangkok quarantine.  

And dont forget the big villains in getting crazy schemes off the ground - that is the international tourist industry and airlines.   They dont make any contingencies for trapped tourists, despite knowing it will happen.