Why people so selfish?

Sparktrader

On 8/30/2021 at 5:05 PM, Will B Good said:

Playing loud music, smoking in non-smoking areas, talking loudly in public, disobeying simple rules for the common good......I find many people are totally inconsiderate of others.

The most frustrating ones are the people who defend the above and say it is their right to do what they want to do.....the very definition of selfishness.

"disobeying simple rules for the common good...". Simple rules by who exactly? Could you please give an example of this? 

12 hours ago, Tanomazu said:

It's actually not "totally unacceptable".

Most civilised Western countries tolerate loud music from 10 am to 10 pm. It's only after that threshold that it would be seen as a problem and you could get any Western authorities to do something about it. Unless the music were so loud as to significantly impair reasonable enjoyment of your residence.

Otherwise you'd have to accept the music from 10 am to 10 pm in most Western countries.

If you are having a conversation with someone in your condo between at any time, and the music next door is interfering with that conversation, then it is too loud.

57 minutes ago, possum1931 said:

"disobeying simple rules for the common good...". Simple rules by who exactly? Could you please give an example of this? 

Simple rules by whom?

Residents associations, juristic management, local authorities, condo residents committees,......????

On 8/30/2021 at 5:05 PM, Will B Good said:

Playing loud music, smoking in non-smoking areas, talking loudly in public, disobeying simple rules for the common good......I find many people are totally inconsiderate of others.

The most frustrating ones are the people who defend the above and say it is their right to do what they want to do.....the very definition of selfishness.

Deaf and Hard of hearing  people talk loud in public

• Confused 1

2 minutes ago, Will B Good said:

Simple rules by whom?

Residents associations, juristic management, local authorities, condo residents committees,......????

Well, now I know. but I will decide myself whether I obey them or not, but I promise one thing, I will never be selfish, or do anything to the detriment of ordinary people.

3 minutes ago, possum1931 said:

Well, now I know. but I will decide myself whether I obey them or not, but I promise one thing, I will never be selfish, or do anything to the detriment of ordinary people.

Well that is very pleasing and reassuring to hear.

Obviously not everyone shares your sense of civic responsibility and some need guidance.....hence the rules for the common good.

1 minute ago, Will B Good said:

Well that is very pleasing and reassuring to hear.

Obviously not everyone shares your sense of civic responsibility and some need guidance.....hence the rules for the common good.

If you live in Thailand, then surely you must know that a part of Thai culture is most people with any sort of authority enjoy going on power trips.

5 minutes ago, possum1931 said:

If you live in Thailand, then surely you must know that a part of Thai culture is most people with any sort of authority enjoy going on power trips.

Yes.

Fortunately we don't have any people like that in the UK.

On 8/30/2021 at 2:59 PM, Sparktrader said:

Be kind

To a reasonable extent and don't allow people to take advantage of you or to put you in a lower position.

Tip people

In cultures where tipping is expected.  Otherwise you are just giving people free money for no reason.  Up to you, but it shouldn't be expected.

Give compliments

Sure.

Drive safe

Absolutely.

Help people

Again, good to do, but not to your own detriment or to the point where people take advantage of you.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, BangkokReady said:

To a reasonable extent and don't allow people to take advantage of you or to put you in a lower position.

In cultures where tipping is expected.  Otherwise you are just giving people free money for no reason.  Up to you, but it shouldn't be expected.

Sure.

Absolutely.

Again, good to do, but not to your own detriment or to the point where people take advantage of you.

A clear case of "Do unto others......."...........unless of course you're a masochist, then that doesn't work.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, canthai55 said:

Re: kids throwing tantrums.

I have done this - and it worked.

Get up, go to the child, and tell them in a loud voice to "Shut the Hell Up"

This gets the parents into the act, and they get told the same thing. Control your children. Unable - then leave.

At times I have even received applause.

Peace and Harmony restored.

Well we don’t have to wonder why you left your country????

I hope you left your attitude and bad manners back there and came here with a smile!

Holleeeee????

1 hour ago, possum1931 said:

Good for you!

You'll sleep better…you’ll be happier and healthier than some of these nasties writing here (and someone might even like you).

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Tanomazu said:

No, actually, sorry, I'm not responsible for my 4 year old throwing a tantrum. They can throw a tantrum for the most ridiculous of reasons. Just earlier today she threw a tantrum because she wanted to wear her special puppy shirt. It was in the washing. Result, half an hour of loud protests. This is my responsibility, my fault, how exactly?

u impregnated the  mother

• Haha 1

How old is this miracle child?

No, how you handle a tantrum does not have a "huge impact on behaviour". Not even a little. I have actually tried every possible way to handle it, told her to be quiet, comforted her, nothing works. You know why? It's just character. I have one other child, who behaves like an absolute angel. No issues at all. This other one just has that very expressive character. It's just the way it is.

A  bluddy  good  whack when I was a  kid worked,  molly  coddled springs to  mind.

• Like 1

Nature significantly trumps nurture. It's easy to boast of well behaved kids if you were lucky enough to have ones with a docile character.

One of mine happens to have a real fire in nostrils. It obviously has nothing to do with "<deleted>ty parenting" because like I said, one is an absolute angel at all times, and regularly gets compliments on her behaviour.

It's purely nature, ie the character of this other one. Kids can be taught, but only up to the level their cognitive development allows. Even your "bike bike" miracle child would have been unable at 2 years old to be "taught" and understand certain things.

You're clearly overestimating yourself.

I think kids at two-four years old are a lot smarter than some of you give them credit for….

Any idiot can have a child but it takes work, time and patience to prep. one to go out into the world and be appreciated and successful.

Being a “yes man/woman is not being a good parent….that’s just the easy way out????