Cost of living comparison between UK & Thailand

25 minutes ago, brewsterbudgen said:

Wouldn't it be better to compare like with like - a 3-bedroom house in each country? And what about rent?

Probably, but I no longer own a house in the UK nor do I rent either properties mentioned as I have purchased them outright.

What are the service charges for? As it seems you take that off and near similar. Cost per year I  found it cost more to live thailand now the UK..I don't have any thing fancy like a new car. Rent house house Thailand  8'000 bhat cost me £18,000 year.   Without Extra s like flights. or medical Don't drink or smoke. if i was on a just on a UK pension £640 a month i  would be better off at home . as free medical as well. so how do people manage on a pension ? 

Edited by yeahbutif
  • Like 1
9 minutes ago, yeahbutif said:

What are the service charges for? As it seems you take that off and near similar. Cost per year I  found it cost more to live thailand now the UK..I don't have any thing fancy like a new car. Rent house house Thailand  8'000 bhat cost me £18,000 year.   Without Extra s like flights. Don't drink or smoke. 

The house is in a gated community of about 100 houses in Chiang Mai and the service charges are split according to plot size to cover :-  24hr security guards, gardeners, street lighting, clubhouse, pool maintenance, etc.   The key difference is in the level of taxation in the UK for just living there not forgetting VAT is 20% not 7% as in Thailand.

• Like 1
21 minutes ago, FritsSikkink said:

4 out of 10 items are about a car, no health insurance or other items. Houses not compatible so maybe a nice comparison for you but i doubt for anyone else.

What other items do you think I need to include?  Happy to try and do so.

• Thanks 1
8 hours ago, Sheryl said:

Not a  million dollars, but a couple  hundred thousand quite possibly

Often the cancer returns.

I wonder how insurance companies deal with this. Will they pay the second time or is this now a "pre-existing condition".

• Like 1
3 hours ago, david555 said:

wrong comparing the western food in Thailand as you did not compare Thai  food /restaurants in  U.K. or Europe .... i think you would be surprised how much a Isan papaya salad would cost in a western restaurant ????

You compare Thailand living costs just as like you would live in U.K....., example electric in your list must be for 3 A.C. i guess ???? (4/5 baht a kilowatt in Thailand .....how much in U.K...? ????

Generally i find that  in Thailand you make your western money by x 2.4 / 2.2 times more worth

"When go Rome  do as the Romans "  do not compare with your origin 

I paid €11.30 for somtam this week - and it didn't even have any shrimps in it.

(THB 437.48!)

• Haha 2
14 minutes ago, BusyB said:

I paid €11.30 for somtam this week - and it didn't even have any shrimps in it.

(THB 437.48!)

Thailand or Western country ? w. i guess , hence my post ..., if you wish the same food or drinks as in own country always it will be more expensive because of import  prices wherever you may be....

Edited by david555
  • Like 1

Thank you for this. It is really interesting....

I'm surprised at the car insurance cost being lower in the UK, you must have a points free licence.

I spend much more on electricity.....about 3000 pounds per annum, but I like it cool in the house night and day.

Well done.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1