Have you changed your mind on the COVID Vaccines?

Chomper Higgot

11 hours ago, Chomper Higgot said:
11 hours ago, HeijoshinCool said:

Do you have a moment to cogently and logically describe what makes the people you don't care about lunatics and lost causes?

Expand  

That’s an illogical conclusion.

There are billions of people who I don’t know let alone care about in any meaningful sense.

On the basis probability billions of those people will be entirely sane.

Nice try.....

15 minutes ago, Phoenix Rising said:

Imagine changing one's mind when new data/science is presented. Oh the horror, sounds downright intelligent!

Why can't he do like a certain subset of the population and just pick something that suits his bias and damn the science! 

Marge! Bring me the UV light and a double shot of Clorox!!

I thought the science was settled, no?

I was unaware there was so much new mask technology out there...

3 hours ago, Yellowtail said:

I think you have been disinformed. 

Oxford got $1,200,000,000 for research. I could go on but it would take a little effort and it's pointless. 

I assume you're referring to the money Oxford/AZ got from the United States. If so, what you failed to mention that in return for the money, the US was promised 300,000,000 doses. So, not exactly a donation.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-health-coronavirus-astrazeneca/u-s-secures-300-million-doses-of-potential-astrazeneca-covid-19-vaccine-idUSKBN22X0J9

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, placeholder said:

I assume you're referring to the money Oxford/AZ got from the United States. If so, what you failed to mention that in return for the money, the US was promised 300,000,000 doses. So, not exactly a donation.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-health-coronavirus-astrazeneca/u-s-secures-300-million-doses-of-potential-astrazeneca-covid-19-vaccine-idUSKBN22X0J9

I never said it was a donation, no need to make things up. 

The $1.2B was provided to help AZ accelerate the development before it was proven effective and to secure 300M doses, not to pay for the doses. 

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Nojohndoe said:

I referred to your "Why does everyone want Trump's vaccines" or words to that effect.

The "we" you refer to is not relevant to the fact that there are no "Trump" vaccines.

Proceed.

You are an English teacher, I knew it! 

5 minutes ago, Yellowtail said:

I never said it was a donation, no need to make things up. 

The $1.2B was provided to help AZ accelerate the development before it was proven effective and to secure 300M doses, not to pay for the doses. 

The AstraZeneca vaccine was already in Phase 3 trials.

What development are you referring to?

1 minute ago, Yellowtail said:

You are an English teacher, I knew it! 

lol. Actually  although holding a teaching qualification I am not nor ever have  been.  Interesting that it seems to frighten  you. Perhaps Chomper H is justified in expressing the opinion that there are those  who are vehement in presenting some views are indeed lacking  something?

2 minutes ago, cdemundo said:

The scientific consensus always changes when new information becomes available.

That is axiomatic in science.

Axiomatic or otherwise, the consensus does not always change when new information becoms available. 

Following the scientific method hypotheses are tested to see if they are supported by evidence.

Indeed

Many people form their opinion and then search for evidence to support it.

So a non-scientist has an opinion, but a scientist has a hypothesis, and they are both looking for evidence to support their opinion/hypothesis, yes?

That is the difference.

That is not much of a difference. 

Are you an English teacher too? 

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Yellowtail said:

Axiomatic or otherwise, the consensus does not always change when new information becoms available. 

Indeed

So a non-scientist has an opinion, but a scientist has a hypothesis, and they are both looking for evidence to support their opinion/hypothesis, yes?

“So a non-scientist has an opinion, but a scientist has a hypothesis, and they are both looking for evidence to support their opinion/hypothesis, yes?

That is not much of a difference. ”

Sorry to break it to you but scientific research seeks evidence that supports and that contradicts the hypothesis.

That’s a very significant difference.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Yellowtail said:

I thought the science was settled, no?

I was unaware there was so much new mask technology out there...

"I thought the science was settled, no?"

Well, you live and learn (hopefully).

"I was unaware there was so much new mask technology out there..."

See previous remark.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Yellowtail said:

Indeed

I am not really surprised that you have resentments against teachers.

When you were in school were all your teachers stupid?

• Haha 1

17 hours ago, l4ml4m said:

poor you if you think that luck is only what people who do not get covid have !

but it's wrong ! unlike many contaminated we have a brain ! we are able to protect ourselves ! THERE IS NOBODY who got covid when respecting the rules, this is pure BS and people saying this should be jailed without notice !

You sound really confident in your chosen path ...

Haven't changed my mind. Continue to follow the rapidly changing science.

Soon, the twice vaccinated will be considered unvaccinated, having not had their booster. Then the statistics are out the window. If not the first booster, then the second or third, etc. Think you're out of it? 90% vaccinated? Bam, new variant, start over.

It won't end until the man-bun brigade, literally or figuratively, wakes up.

I'm not a conspiracy theorist; they're too incapable, stupid, and power hungry to think up a plan like this.

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

12 hours ago, Ryan754326 said:

I’m tired of wearing masks too, but Canada hit its target of 70% vaccinated, and as soon as they loosened up the rules, cases started to rise; Now they’re telling us we have to wear them again.
So what is the magic number that we need to reach herd immunity now? what happens if we hit 100%, and cases still continue to pop up? 

Right now, Canada’s 7 day average death rate is under 20 per day, and yet we’re still freaking out about a few hundred new cases, and reinstating restrictions that were only lifted less than two months ago. At what point will it be considered safe to go back to normal? 

I understand that the situation in Thailand is different. I’m just using my home country as an example of how some governments apparently won’t let this go until covid has completely disappeared from the face of the earth. If that’s the goal, we’ll be wearing masks and eating take-out forever. 

I believe that 70% doesn't reflect the entire population. Just those over 12. Sadly, many under 12 are now getting sick and spreading the virus.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, cdemundo said:

You can't understand the difference between:

testing a hypothesis to discover if it is true or false

and

having an opinion and looking only for information that supports it.

That indicates a very limited capacity for critical thinking.

So in topics as complex as are involved in the discussion of a world wide viral pandemic, you really are not able to contribute anything significant.

Your continued posting in these discussions is nothing more than an example of the Dunning-Kruger effect.

boy you are very insulting in your reply

• Haha 2