Good Men's Barber. Jomtien Beach/2nd Rd Area?

dddave

3 hours ago, mercman24 said:

Rompole market, last barbers on the LEFT, lady, she can cut shapes and line (if you want to look cool) lol and 100 baht,

Thanks.  My problem is finding one who DOESN'T want to do "cool".  Bit old for sidewalls. LOL

7 hours ago, Gsxrnz said:

Toni  - corner of Soi Watboon and Jomtien 2nd Road. Third shop from the corner (about 20 metres) as you go from 2nd Road towards Suk.

300 Baht.

Thanks for the specific directions.  I tried to find Soi Watboon on maps but couldn't spot it.  Looks like somewhere close to Soi Boon Kanchana but even zooming in tight didn't reveal it.

Edited by dddave

10 hours ago, Gsxrnz said:

Toni  - corner of Soi Watboon and Jomtien 2nd Road. Third shop from the corner (about 20 metres) as you go from 2nd Road towards Suk.

300 Baht.

It's cheaper in Spain ????

I paid yesterday 7 euros to get my hair cut. That makes 270 baht.

Edited by Espanol
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Espanol said:

It's cheaper in Spain

I pay 60 Baht. Bloody inflation. Started with 40 Baht some years ago.

A bit far from Jomtien though :biggrin:

300 Baht is somewhat upper class for Thailand though you can pay much more in a fancy Bangkok city salon served by "senior stylist" :biggrin:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Espanol said:

Thanks, but I can not find that market in Google Maps

Because it is "Rompho" market on 2nd rd opposite Soi 5 where immigration office is.

https://goo.gl/maps/yWxXXw9dif8mryDC6

Formerly a lively huge bar complex in the back which had been cleared years ago apparently for no reason. Now dead as a dodo.

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, dddave said:

Thanks.  My problem is finding one who DOESN'T want to do "cool".  Bit old for sidewalls. LOL

Thanks for the specific directions.  I tried to find Soi Watboon on maps but couldn't spot it.  Looks like somewhere close to Soi Boon Kanchana but even zooming in tight didn't reveal it.

Soi Wattboon is same as Sou Boon Kanchana, although I can only see a barbers if you head towards Beach Rd from the junction. All the rest are massage shops!

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, KhunBENQ said:

Let @Gsxrnz decide, but I think this is a different one from "Toni".

Not the same - here's Toni's facebook page for directions etc. to Watboon, Soi Watboon, Soi Watboonkanchana, Soi Boonkanchana, Watboon Alley etc.  Soi actually means "alley".  "SaaiR"  is the classifier for "road", so Saai Saawng is what we would call Second Road - not to be confused with "Thanohn" which actually means road, as in Beach Road (Thanohn Talay, or Thanohn Chihaad".  All very confusing.  

https://business.facebook.com/Toni.Barbershop.And.Shave/

Side note - I love it when we haggle over the names of locations (and directions) transliterated from Thai.  This Soi is known by many Thai locals as Soi Grand Hotel as well as the multitude of other usual names.  The intersection is also known locally as NongPong. 

I once heard an Italian and a Frenchman arguing over the location of a particular hotel - one swore it was on Pattaya South Road, the other swore it was on Pattaya Tai. They were talking about the same hotel.

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, KhunBENQ said:

Makes me smile.

(Soi) wat boon is the lazy version of (Soi) (wat) boon kanchana

(transcriptions are arbitrary, Google uses "Bun Kanchana Alley")

From the description this is the place to go?

https://goo.gl/maps/Z4VBxxhRTbhBsvvX6

Right side of the first building at the corner of 2nd rd and Wat Boon Kanchana.

A big intersection with traffic lights.

barber.jpg

Thanks.  I suspected that might be the case. Two blocks from where I live.  B300 sounds like pre-covid pricing.

2 minutes ago, dddave said:

Thanks.  I suspected that might be the case. Two blocks from where I live.  B300 sounds like pre-covid pricing.  

Edit: Just checked the FB page.  I'd say his price is justified for that level of styling if that is what you are after. 

I'm just looking for a decent cut that lays down.

8 hours ago, dddave said:

I'm just looking for a decent cut that lays down.

There are many hairdressers at a cost of 100 bahts (or even less) in soi Buakhao, if you only need getting your hair cut. 

I suppose that some of them will be already open again now.

Edited by Espanol

3 hours ago, Espanol said:

There are many hairdressers at a cost of 100 bahts (or even less) in soi Buakhao, if you only need getting your hair cut. 

I used to get my hair cut fairly regularly at the B100 shops on Buakhow. 

On one rather busy day, as I waited my turn I watched as a series of customers before me sat in the chairs and got their hair cut. 

They would get dusted off, pay, leave and another would sit in the chair. Of all the 5 or 6 haircuts I watched, never once was a comb or brush switched for a fresh one out of a sterilizer...not even a tray of disinfectant.  Each progressive customer got combed with the same comb, cut with the same scissors, brushed with the same brush.

I'm not a finicky person but that really grossed me out.  I got up and left the Buakhow shop and I have never returned to the B100 Soi Buakhow shops again.

I remembered getting a B20 haircut in a primitive shop in Udon Thani years before where I was surprised that everything used on me came out of a sterilizer and the blade used to shave my neck was unwrapped in front of my eyes.

Prior to the covid upsurge this year, I lived in Bangkok and for years got my haircut at a small but very busy shop in Ekkamai that was scrupulous about hygiene standards.  A standard cut was B250 and well worth it.

Edited by dddave
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, dddave said:

I remembered getting a B20 haircut in a primitive shop in Udon Thani

You haven't lived until you get a haircut from a guy operating out of an old suitcase with a mirror nailed to a palm tree in rural Egypt. Even the locals were surprised I used one, but I was looking pretty rough. My place here supplies new blades for the shaving of neck etc, but combs are not regularly cleaned. 

• Like 2

18 hours ago, dddave said:

If you believe the difference between a good haircut and a bad haircut is two-weeks, the 100B amateurs that barely know one end of a pair of scissors from the other is the way to go. 

I ain't got a lot of hair and get what we called a "short back and sides" in Old Skool language.  Toni takes about 40 minutes over my haircut and does a great job. 

We all get statements of the obvious from friends after getting a haircut such as "had a haircut?  had your ears lowered?" etc, but after this guy cuts my hair I've had a number of comments regarding how good the cut looks - which is definitely a reflection on the barber because I'm one of the ugliest sons of bitches you're ever likely to come across.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Espanol said:

There are also hairdressers in Soi Buakao that will lay down at a cost over 100Bt.

On 9/4/2021 at 1:02 PM, dddave said:

Just to follow-up:  Got a very nice cut at "High Barber Shop", about 700 m. up Soi Wat Boon from 2nd Rd on the left side.

I was happy to see him pull out a bundle of fresh tools: combs, brush, ect. before starting my cut. 

Cut my hair exactly as I asked for.  B100

Edited by dddave
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1