Thailand reports 15,452 new COVID-19 cases, 18,257 recoveries

Jonathan Fairfield

14 minutes ago, Macrohistory said:

The Ostrich Strategy:  If you act like things are normal, things will get back to normal in no time.

Must be a tad disheartening for the doom platoon predictors who were posting that everything would be shut down til 2023,  vaccines were going run out, couldnt possible inject in region of a million/day, infections were gonna spiral, bla bla, , ………to see everything coming back together piece by piece. 

Ostrich indeed, I wonder where its head  is buried now. 

Edited by Kadilo
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

An altogether feeling of Deja Vu has started to overtake the numbers.  Have we not been here before, and yet how many times can we semi-flatline versus all other countries cases.  Vaccinations have been getting kicked upward and many who have been double jabbed are getting boosters before those getting first shots which I find a little disheartening.  Sur the numbers of those getting vaccinated is increasing, but at least lets get those vaccines to the elderly and over 60 crowd who seem to be the ones dying in greater numbers.  I can only hope for the continued safety of the populace and then for those in need to be taken care of.

From the news reports in Thailand the booster vaccinations are for those on the frontline , such as medical workers . Your post implies there are individuals being overlooked . 

Sad truth is that many over 60 years of age and older in Thailand are worried about asking for a vaccine due to the media condemning the available vaccines . 

From the total number of confirmed cases:

- 13,268 were found via walk-in tests at medical facilities

- 2,156 via proactive tests at known clusters

- 28 imported cases

More than 18,200 people have recovered in the past 24 hours

https://twitter.com/ThaiEnquirer/status/1434399506246688772

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Discussing the mixing of the newest Vaccine combination of AZ and Pfizer with my daughter in the states who is a Nurse Practitioner Surgical ICU NP in a covid ward.  She thinks from the studies being done that it might actually produce better antibodies which could work on the Delta variant, but with Delta starting to peak everywhere she said the issue is with more mutations occurring. She has also been talking with her partner who is working as a research fellow and the biggest issue they have determined the world will be facing is one for future travel for those vaccinated.  She indicated that until full peer reviewed and verified studies have been completed that many countries will not be allowing travel for those vaccinated with a combination of vaccines. 

You would hope that somewhere there is a group looking at all of this and a compromise can be reached.  I sent her the graphic we had three days ago regarding the domestic travel between provinces and flying in regards to the vaccines needed to enter each province.  She was shocked to see that all vaccines needed to be double dosed, but you only needed 1 dose of the AZ vaccine.  It wasn't that she was shocked that you would need to be double vaxxed, it was that Thailand seems to have a belief that the AZ vaccine with one dosage is just fine on its own.  I explained to her that there is a 12 week lag time between the AZ vaccines, and which is why Thailand is probably looking at using the Pfizer vaccine as a second dose follow-up to the initial AZ jab.  It puzzled her, and she is doing some more follow-up for me.  She has looked at the initial study done and says it does show promise. 

She also sent me this link to review and read as it is the latest on the global issue of vaccines and travel, and shows that Canada has accepted the mix and match vaccination policies of countries while many have not and that includes the US.

Of course YMMV.  Take it for what it is but the article is interesting.

https://globalnews.ca/news/8086370/mixed-vaccines-travel-policy/

The Centre for Disease Control (CDC), the U.S.’s main health body, does not currently recognize a mix of a vector vaccine, such as AstraZeneca, with an mRNA vaccine, such as Pfizer or Moderna, as fully vaccinated.

It does, however, recognize a mix of two mRNA vaccines, such as Pfizer and Moderna, as fully vaccinated.

Edited by ThailandRyan
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, Bkk Brian said:

Those little soldiers have strong immune defenses, stronger than their parents or grandparents, its all very well saying we want to open schools and its important for their education, its a scratched record if you don't also say how and when that should be done. 

I think Phuket should probably open but we all know why, its highly vaccinated and all teachers along with everyone in the households are also vaccinated in their requirements to open, would you also say the same for a Province that is not and where teachers and parents are still waiting?

Firstly there are plenty of scratched records posted daily on here, coincidently mainly played in the same order. 

Secondly, where are these Provinces where the teachers are still waiting?

I’m sure now the green light is on those who have not already been vaccinated will be prioritised, unless they are waiting and picking and choosing what vaccines they want of course which may be an excuse for staying at home a bit longer. 

Edited by Kadilo
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Kadilo said:

Firstly there are plenty of scratched records posted daily on here, strangely mainly played in the same order. 

Secondly, where are these Provinces where the teachers are still waiting?

I’m sure now the green light is on those who have not already been vaccinated will be prioritised, unless they are waiting and picking and choosing what vaccines they want of course which may be their excuse for staying at home a bit longer. 

Response: 

Firstly: there you go deflecting

Secondly: Just about every other province outside Phuket for teachers and parents.

So whats your plan?

Edited by Bkk Brian
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

2 minutes ago, Bkk Brian said:

Response: 

Firstly: there you go deflecting

Secondly: Just about every other province outside Phuket for teachers and parents.

Speaking of deflection ‘Just about every other province’ means nothing. 

In which Provinces are teachers still waiting to be vaccinated? 

3 minutes ago, Kadilo said:

Speaking of deflection ‘Just about every other province’ means nothing. 

In which Provinces are teachers still waiting to be vaccinated? 

You missed the parents, you missed your plan, every other province? ie just about every other province means everything.

So again how would you open schools safely?

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Just now, Bkk Brian said:

You missed the parents, you missed your plan, every other province? ie just about every other province means everything.

So again how would you open schools safely?

Dodging the question again. Just say you don’t know, it’s far easier than just making wild assumptions. 

Even our own experts don’t know the answer to everything, it’s allowed. 

• Haha 1

Just now, Kadilo said:

Dodging the question again. Just say you don’t know, it’s far easier than just making wild assumptions. 

Even our own experts don’t know the answer to everything, it’s allowed. 

I know you are having a very difficult time with this, let me put it another way for you and make it a little easier. 

Bangkok not all teachers and parents are fully inoculated, how would you open safely?

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

2 minutes ago, brewsterbudgen said:

Only allow schools that have all teachers and support staff vaccinated to open.  Unvaccinated parents can choose whether to risk sending their kids to school or keep them at home (or continue with online learning if that's available).

Yep an option I guess, its not something Phuket has gone for as they've made the requirement for all the household to be vaccinated as well. The other factor to consider of course is what happens when a child gets positive, who gets quarantined etc, same model as I guess?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, brewsterbudgen said:

Only allow schools that have all teachers and support staff vaccinated to open.  Unvaccinated parents can choose whether to risk sending their kids to school or keep them at home (or continue with online learning if that's available).

As the OP states, 92% of people in BKK have at least one jab so won’t be long before they meet that criteria, if not already. Other Provinces will already be ready. 

As you rightly say, those that are more concerned about themselves than their children’s education can choose to keep them wrapped up at home playing on their phones. 

13 minutes ago, brewsterbudgen said:

A reasonable proposal, although many details would remain to be worked out.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Macrohistory said:

A reasonable proposal, although many details would remain to be worked out.

The finer details are the problem, when clusters are found etc, workable but very time consuming and impracticable however perhaps its a necessity.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, brewsterbudgen said:

I think that might be the case with some of my students too.  I guess they'll be given a choice of whether to go back to the classroom, or not.  Online works OK with teenagers and above, but I need my 6-year-old to get back to proper school!

Sure hope so. My wife may be a kindergarten teacher by profession and ok with teaching our 5 year old at home, but kids need to grow up with school friends to make them more sociable. 

Besides the school have been responsible for helping the parents get jabs - so that's good

• Like 2

Inequality in Thailand rears its ugly head again

Big jump in number of poor and very poor schoolgoing children in Covid aftermath

An estimated 1.9 million children of the 9 million in the schoolgoing age could be categorised as poor and very poor, which is a very high proportion, the Equitable Education Fund (EEF) said, revealing data from January 2021.

Dr Kraiyos Patrawart, Deputy Manager, said the impact of the Covid-19 epidemic has caused the income of these families of children and youth to drop to an average of 1,094 baht per month, with most of their income from agriculture or other fields, but has additional income from state welfare and compensation, said Dr Kraiyos.

The impact caused the number of extra-poor children screened in the new semester 1/2021 to increase to a new high record, which is 1,302,968 or increase by 128,524 from the 2nd semester of 2020.

https://www.nationthailand.com/blogs/tech/40005732

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, Bkk Brian said:

Yep an option I guess, its not something Phuket has gone for as they've made the requirement for all the household to be vaccinated as well. The other factor to consider of course is what happens when a child gets positive, who gets quarantined etc, same model as I guess?

I guess the same factors would apply to when a child gets infected playing with other kids in the moo bahn, infected if visiting a restaurant, infected at a market, infect at a mall etc

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, sungod said:

I guess the same factors would apply to when a child gets infected playing with other kids in the moo bahn, infected if visiting a restaurant, infected at a market, infect at a mall etc

Yes but I'm just going by the Phuket model where they say the whole class would be closed for 14 days and all high risk contacts quarantined (ie the whole class), if they do not have a spare room to do that at home then they would need to do that in a field hospital or pay for Hospitel

Edited by Bkk Brian

21 minutes ago, Bkk Brian said:

Yes but I'm just going by the Phuket model where they say the whole class would be closed for 14 days and all high risk contacts quarantined (ie the whole class), if they do not have a spare room to do that at home then they would need to do that in a field hospital or pay for Hospitel

I thought the Phuket model had already been rejected?  I would remove my kid from any school that had that policy!

Just now, brewsterbudgen said:

I thought the Phuket model had already been rejected?  I would remove my kid from any school that had that policy!

No its back on, thats why I posted the latest update today on it, nearly all international schools have now adopted it. All the requirement are in that post I made earlier today. Not sure about Thai schools?

2 minutes ago, Bkk Brian said:

No its back on, thats why I posted the latest update today on it, nearly all international schools have now adopted it. All the requirement are in that post I made earlier today. Not sure about Thai schools?

Nearly all international schools in Phuket, or nationally?  It doesn't seem workable to me.  Forcing vaccinated families to be quarantined or made to stay in and pay for, a hospitel when just one kid out of the class tests positive is ridiculous.  

• Like 2

Just now, brewsterbudgen said:

Nearly all international schools in Phuket, or nationally?  It doesn't seem workable to me.  Forcing vaccinated families to be quarantined or made to stay in and pay for, a hospitel when just one kid out of the class tests positive is ridiculous.  

I only know about Phuket so just for here as far as I know. They are not forcing anyone, read my earlier post, they have the option of online learning for parents who do not want to. Plus the option for quarantine at home if the home is suitable. At least its a start although its highly restrictive I know, still no good for my daughter though as its only for up to 9 years old children.

Ridiculous really, Phuket is supposed to be the model Province but look at all the restrictions still in place!

6 hours ago, Bkk Brian said:

PCR test positive cases, total of 15,452 official new infections, with 468 of those from prison and 14,984 from the community. 224 official covid deaths recorded, down from yesterday's figure.

Now that community CPR tests are apparently declining, it looks like they are releasing prison case numbers they were holding back.....

• Like 1