Always use a drill vice or grips ... Yes, you!

Crossy

if this had been flakebok, there'd have been a bluddy great banner right over it; mollycoddling all to be careful before going ahead to Click for the actual photo 

- that would have been a Kids Glove scenario ???? 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, tifino said:

gotta show her you are tough... so tough you grab the Betadine bottle and have a gargle... 

Actually my dentist here in Bangkok has added oral Betadine as a precautionary rinse before treatment due to Covid. It doesn't taste that bad.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, sometimewoodworker said:

Absolutely totally and unequivocally disagree with gloves when using spinning things.

Very, very good point, I've removed "gloves" from the topic title to avoid later confusion.

When I was an apprentice the stress was always on the long hair that was "fashion" at the time, some very scary posters in the workshop.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Crossy said:

Very, very good point, I've removed "gloves" from the topic title to avoid later confusion.

When I was an apprentice the stress was always on the long hair that was "fashion" at the time, some very scary posters in the workshop.

One of my powerful hammer drill has a a side hand which is great to have when getting drill snags. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Crossy said:

We used to have a "spoiler" tag so we could hide those "iffy" images, sadly it vanished during one of the forum "upgrades".

Now I'm in trouble for getting blood on Madam's clean tea-towel, she got her revenge with the Betadine (that stuff STINGS!!) ???? 

But not as much as medicinal alcohol.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, bankruatsteve said:

I don't know if angle grinder and chain saw are "spinning things" but they will get my leather gloves every time and have saved skin by doing so.

Yes the angle grinder is a spinning thing. That your skin has been saved makes no difference to the dangers of gloves.

The chainsaw requires gloves with ballistic padding to be safe, it will pay no attention to leather gloves, they only affect flying debris. A chainsaw accident will not be much, if any, different with gloves on

That you haven’t had a problem with using gloves has no bearing on the safety of not wearing them. 

I have driven hundreds of thousands of kilometres, I have always worn a seatbelt since before they become required, I have always worn a crash helmet again since long before they were required and again got hundreds of thousands of kilometres. I have never needed a seatbelt’s protection or crash helmets. That doesn’t change the reasons for using them.

4 hours ago, billd766 said:

When I sharpen the blade of my weed whacker using the bench grinder, I always wear my leather riggers gloves.

It makes the blade easier and safer to hold and I don't lose any skin on the grinder wheels.

Less good technique can be compensated for, it doesn’t change the safety.

the gloves also allow overheating of the steel 

Personal experience doesn’t make any difference to the safety rules.

Safety rules have come into place because too many people have had injuries wearing gloves. 

Edited by sometimewoodworker
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, transam said:

I think most of us are guilty of causing that kind of trauma during our DIY lives...????

Yeah buddy wear glasses and toecap boots, a helmet,  a hivi bulletproof vest,  kevler clothes, a gasmask, and never go outside. ????????????????????

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I've been pretty confident with power tools from an early age thanks to my dad (would you give a 10 year old a power saw, even closely supervised, these days?), of course in the 60's H&S were just letters.

That said chainsaws have always terrified me, give me my the nice safe (ish) handsaw for trees.

One thing I never risk is my eyes, looking away, no way, get those safety glasses out!

• Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, Crossy said:

I've been pretty confident with power tools from an early age thanks to my dad (would you give a 10 year old a power saw, even closely supervised, these days?), of course in the 60's H&S were just letters.

That said chainsaws have always terrified me, give me my the nice safe (ish) handsaw for trees.

One thing I never risk is my eyes, looking away, no way, get those safety glasses out!

Your right but some have lived in different times mine was before you I guess and as in UK I worked in the building industry then what makes me laugh is some here come to Thailand and get involved in building and become H & S experts.

7 hours ago, Crossy said:

God, we were an iffy looking lot, our apprenticeship entry photo.

No, I'm not indicating which one is me :whistling: 

There are at least two doctorates in that motley crew.

I'm still in touch with at least 30% of the chaps.

73257460_146710849977079_5826140093554884608_n.jpg.302881665c9516c602037f9cd85a7e9c.jpg

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, sometimewoodworker said:

Yes the angle grinder is a spinning thing. That your skin has been saved makes no difference to the dangers of gloves.

The chainsaw requires gloves with ballistic padding to be safe, it will pay no attention to leather gloves, they only affect flying debris. A chainsaw accident will not be much, if any, different with gloves on

That you haven’t had a problem with using gloves has no bearing on the safety of not wearing them. 

I have driven hundreds of thousands of kilometres, I have always worn a seatbelt since before they become required, I have always worn a crash helmet again since long before they were required and again got hundreds of thousands of kilometres. I have never needed a seatbelt’s protection or crash helmets. That doesn’t change the reasons for using them.

Less good technique can be compensated for, it doesn’t change the safety.

the gloves also allow overheating of the steel 

Personal experience doesn’t make any difference to the safety rules.

Safety rules have come into place because too many people have had injuries wearing gloves. 

quote "Personal experience doesn’t make any difference to the safety rules."

That applies to you as well as everybody else.

1 hour ago, sometimewoodworker said:

That you have always done something and had no problem makes zero difference to the advisability or safety of doing that. 

It just means that you haven’t had the bad luck to discover why what you have been doing was not safe.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Kwasaki said:

Yeah buddy wear glasses and toecap boots, a helmet,  a hivi bulletproof vest,  kevler clothes, a gasmask, and never go outside. ????????????????????

When I use my week whacker I do wear glasses, boots with steel toe caps and soles plus a chainsaw helmet with a steel mesh visor. So far over the 12 plus years the only injuries I have sustained in accidents is a bashed up arm caused by me stepping backwards into a hole I didn't know was there, loosing my balance and falling against a water tank.

That was last year and I was 76 at the time. Even now it aches sometimes and I had physiotherapy once a month for 6 months. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, billd766 said:

quote "Personal experience doesn’t make any difference to the safety rules."

Of course it does, did I suggest otherwise?

15 minutes ago, billd766 said:
2 hours ago, sometimewoodworker said:

That you have always done something and had no problem makes zero difference to the advisability or safety of doing that. 

It just means that you haven’t had the bad luck to discover why what you have been doing was not safe.

You (second-person pronoun) don’t understand the use of the indefinite pronoun you, do you (second-person pronoun) ?

Since nobody was quoted In the posting above it is clearly the indefinite pronoun so again of course I am included.

Do please tell us the purpose of that post?

Edited by sometimewoodworker

1 hour ago, billd766 said:

When I use my week whacker I do wear glasses, boots with steel toe caps and soles plus a chainsaw helmet with a steel mesh visor. So far over the 12 plus years the only injuries I have sustained in accidents is a bashed up arm caused by me stepping backwards into a hole I didn't know was there, loosing my balance and falling against a water tank.

That was last year and I was 76 at the time. Even now it aches sometimes and I had physiotherapy once a month for 6 months. 

Yeah us young thinking guys have to be tough and not notice pain, it's something that comes with this time in our lives.

Take extra care my cyber friend thats what I do but still mess up sometimes. ???? ????

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Boomer6969 said:

Dunno where you're from, but a small scratch like that I give it a good lick and keep working.

But in these Covid times, I may be useful to add that I keep my tetanus shots up to date.

Yup, tetanus is up to date.

Biggest worry in the tropics is it getting infected, thorough cleaning and topical antiseptic are essential.

I've had cellulitis twice from much smaller nicks, definitely not nice (and expensive).

• Like 1