Largest study of its kind finds face masks reduce COVID-19

gargamon

yes, new york, bangkok, the other world metropolis can be compared in density to city-states as singapore, monaco, makao.

Villagers live in detached houses (traditionally in raw of houses, but still large and private), they walk to their field behind the village and spend all day cultivating plants, with food taken from home. They might not encounter anybody there for the whole day.

Density in 22 mln Dhaka is 20x higher that Bangladeshi average. But there are also the other multi million cities. Remote countryside might be just a few hundred per sq km. It's large, but tens times less, than cities. Bangladesh is still agricultural country, as oppose to industrialised countries with large cities and highly mobile population (even those travelling hundreds km per day to and from work)

9 hours ago, internationalism said:

yes, new york, bangkok, the other world metropolis can be compared in density to city-states as singapore, monaco, makao.

Villagers live in detached houses (traditionally in raw of houses, but still large and private), they walk to their field behind the village and spend all day cultivating plants, with food taken from home. They might not encounter anybody there for the whole day.

Density in 22 mln Dhaka is 20x higher that Bangladeshi average. But there are also the other multi million cities. Remote countryside might be just a few hundred per sq km. It's large, but tens times less, than cities. Bangladesh is still agricultural country, as oppose to industrialised countries with large cities and highly mobile population (even those travelling hundreds km per day to and from work)

People live in extended families in Bangladesh. And being Muslims they regularly attend mosques, not a great place to avoid infection. And finally, these scientists come from some of the leading Universities in the world. Ya think, they don't take the factors you've cited into account? Do you believe that they are trying to perpetrate some kind of fraud?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, Destiny1990 said:

Yes so these cheap, and often old worn out face masks that everybody wears are totally ineffective. Better practice social distancing 1,5 meters.

I buy a box of 100 for Bt.69.00.

Surely they are top quality surgical masks.... or is the print on the box telling porky pies ?

They are good for two days of usage, turn it inside out on the second day.

• Haha 2

Sorry but the article does not state over how much time the study was conducted.  No doubt masks reduce the rate of spreading, but in the long run no information as to the final number of cases.  Since masks themselves advertise percentages of particles they pass, over time, the number of viral particles they pass increases

• Like 1

Well, surgical masks have been worn by hospital staff for how long? And why? So it is logical to think they'll protect you, albeit to a lesser extent outside and it isn't only protection from Covid either. Therefore more studies only tell us what we already know. The problem is convincing people, probably the same people who cover their nose and mouth when smoke or strong odours are around, that masks are indeed useful during pandemics. I have been told by people that sneezing into a handkerchief/tissue means that I carry the germs around with me and the explanation that I do it to prevent the spread of those germs seems to fall on deaf ears. Of course, masks don't protect to 100% level and how much protection depends upon the many known factors. In short, I don't think continued studies are the answer but perhaps a shorter but continued/regular form of education might be more successful.

1 hour ago, Ralf001 said:

I buy a box of 100 for Bt.69.00.

Surely they are top quality surgical masks.... or is the print on the box telling porky pies ?

They are good for two days of usage, turn it inside out on the second day.

And the breath in all the particles that are stuck on the outside , damn you should have thought about your comment before placing it . But hey you believe everything written on a box as well so i don't blame you .

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

On 9/6/2021 at 8:36 AM, placeholder said:

Apart from geographicaly very small countries like Singapore, Malta, etc the most densely populated country in the world is Bangladesh.

https://www.statista.com/statistics/264683/top-fifty-countries-with-the-highest-population-density/

Singapore is aware of their vulnerability to Delta and mask wearing is mandated. Breakers of the law are taken to task and to the full extent of the court. Draconian but prudent to manage the pandemic effectively. 

https://mothership.sg/2021/08/benjamin-glynn-jailed/

Edited by Eric Loh
wrong paragraph
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Eric Loh said:

Singapore is aware of their vulnerability to Delta and mask wearing is mandated. Breakers of the law are taken to task and to the full extent of the court. Draconian but prudent to manage the pandemic effectively. 

https://mothership.sg/2021/08/benjamin-glynn-jailed/

They got robots in Singapore looking for groups of people of more then 5 persons. Why don’t you live there if you believe that such silly measures will control corona.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

5 hours ago, Ralf001 said:

Its called getting value for money.

I bought a few good quality, white masks which are quite thick and very tight nose and face fitting.

I rotate these by leaving them soaking in a fairly strong beach/water mix overnight. 

Put out to dry the next day.

Pretty sure the bleach kills most any virus or bacteria. 

The bottle of bleach costs next to nothing. 

Just an idea. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, orchidfan said:

I bought a few good quality, white masks which are quite thick and very tight nose and face fitting.

I rotate these by leaving them soaking in a fairly strong beach/water mix overnight. 

Put out to dry the next day.

Pretty sure the bleach kills most any virus or bacteria. 

The bottle of bleach costs next to nothing. 

Just an idea. 

Hydrogen peroxide in 3-1 ratio also works quite well. Virus can't live long when exposed to UV. I rotate my masks use 1 day, clean and put in the sun 2 days. Many real sites on youtube showing how to get the most out of your masks. My dear wife got me a box of 3M N95 masks and a box of the even better FFP3 masks in case I have to go into town.

• Like 1