Is Pattaya so bad?

Lucky Bones

9 hours ago, Tony125 said:

Different strokes for different folks, I was born and raised in small city in US  where clubs were open till 2 AM and could find someplace to eat 24 hrs a day. I am not a country boy so no way would live in Issan in Nakhon Nowhere. I have a condo in Bangkok beside  my wifes childhood home where her dad still lives and has 20 apartments to rent. My 3 bedroom home is in Banglamung just out side downtown Pattaya. When we tire of BKK crowds /smog we head down to Pattaya to enjoy our greenery  and can enjoy the beaches, Terminal 21  and other malls. When friends visit I show them around and can take them to visit clubs and nite life as well as Suakawadee and massage places. I like to be able to  go /do almost anything 24 hrs a day if I want  not be stuck out in the jungle. Still have the quiet peaceful area at home.

Re photos: That's a beautiful spot, man. Nice balance, city and country. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, bkksteve123 said:

Pattaya, and especially the Darkside, will be great again when the restaurants and bars fully reopen, it's still nice even without the tourists.

I suspect a large part of places in Pattaya Beach will not open until foreign tourists are back, and when they eventually open it will be under a new owner/name/concept.

Until then, not much going on.

Won't open until what comes back?

This is where the fickle new tourist will be going.

vb.jpg.1a17da0a7231c45e3aae4c486b524eaf.jpg

https://eurasiantimes.com/vietnams-venice-how-a-sleepy-island-in-vietnam-could-challenge-pattaya-bali-as-a-key-tourist-attraction/

The following article was written in 2017 and the Phú Quốc paradise has already started to be 'Pattayafied' in the short interim period. I was lucky to spend a few days there in 2009 when foreigners hadn't been invented yet. Reminded me of Patong in 1978.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/destinations/asia/vietnam/articles/things-to-do-in-phu-quoc-vietnam-tips/

Back on topic: Pattaya as we know and remember it is gone and it is NOT coming back.

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/9/2021 at 6:37 AM, bkksteve123 said:

Pattaya, and especially the Darkside, will be great again when the restaurants and bars fully reopen,

What's so great about it?

On 9/9/2021 at 6:37 AM, bkksteve123 said:

and when they eventually open it will be under a new owner/name/concept.

Who's going to invest money into derelict places, so they can open with a new name / concept? 

The "opening" you are thinking of will take place slowly, over years, not just because borders have opened.  

7 hours ago, Leaver said:

What's so great about it?

Who's going to invest money into derelict places, so they can open with a new name / concept? 

The "opening" you are thinking of will take place slowly, over years, not just because borders have opened.  

What's great about the Darkside? That's very subjective, but not nearly as dependent on tourism as central Pattaya.

As for the opening, yes I agree that it's going to be slow and take years even after borders are open. My point is that many places have closed and the owners have lost their life savings. This presents an opportunity for new people/investors to buy up places at big discounts when they see potential in the market = new owners, new concept.

• Haha 1

Cheers bkksteve123. (I'm not yet clever enuff to auto reply.)

Yes, it is all relative to oneself. I worked in Aus finance and went through the GFC and 9/11. Sitting watching stock markets tumbling severely. People on the phone 24/7 with questions.

Sadly, Patts is reality, not a stock market game.

Hard to see the city centre come back.

I support local Thai vendors wherever possible.

Without them, me and the wifey ain't got much.

I am very sad to read that so many people living in Pattaya, are comparing it to Jomtien, and saying they prefer Pattaya over Jomtien or the other way around. 

Would be really nice of you to understand that Jomtien is a name for a part of Pattaya. It stands under the same municipality. In other words you all live in the same city! When I move somewhere I always take the time to know where I am.

I don´t know, but maybe there are too many bars in Pattaya. It´s just something I´ve heard they say, that too much drinking seems to make people stupid.

Edited by Gottfrid
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, newnative said:

For me, that's one of the great things about Pattaya, with it's different neighborhoods like Jomtien and Wong Amat, and other areas which offer their own distinct vibes.

You still just fail to get it. You are talking about Pattaya, and then neighborhoods like??? Just get it. It different named areas in the same city. What you are doing right now is just babbling nonsense. Even if you say that you like to see, or for me Pattaya is. That just does not change the facts. Jomtien, Darkside, Wongamat, Prathumnak, Na Kluea, Huai Yai, Nong Pla Lai or Nong Prue is in fact Pattaya.

• Sad 1

5 hours ago, Gottfrid said:

I don´t know, but maybe there are too many bars in Pattaya. It´s just something I´ve heard they say, that too much drinking seems to make people stupid.

And hangovers make then pernickety! Been boozing in Naklua....?

I'm having a hard time the longer these lockdown conditions continue trying to visualise Pattaya returning to it's former vibrancy, maybe Was Pattaya so Bad should be the question ?

It was never going to win any beauty contests for its town planning and architectural grandeur, but even I was pretty shocked taking a stroll up and down the Soi's between Beach and Second Road the other day. It's in a state of total and utter dereliction and disrepair. If it were only the odd unit or building it wouldn't seem quite as bad but it's more a case of noticing a unit that isn't empty.  The only activity I saw taking place was several construction gangs dismantling and removing fixtures and fittings of any value from several shuttered premises onto the back of pick-up trucks. On one big hotel building on the corner of Soi 7 or 8 they were in the process of dismantling every air conditioning/extraction unit and fittings on the exterior of each balcony. The signage of another closed 7-11 was on the back of one truck. It feels like the town is slowly being gutted like a fish

There will certainly be plenty of internal reconstruction and maintenance activity work about when things reopen I'm just finding it difficult to imagine the volume of custom will be enough to fill all the vacant premises existing all over Pattaya.

The old scrubber is on her knees, and even with a bit of dodgy make up might struggle to pull as easily as she did in the past, especially if her customers can't get 8 pints down their neck in order to succumb to her charms.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, newnative said:

I'm in the Georgetown neighborhood of DC."   The small city I lived in in the US was less than 100,000 population but it had its neighborhoods, with their own names.

Still unable to understand. Also here Georgetown belongs to DC. So the city you lived in was Washington DC, where you lived in the district named Georgetown. By the way, have a lovely park. However the city you lived in had millions in population, and the district in your city, which was Georgetown had less than 100 000 in population.

Enough with this nonsense now. I can give you the facts, but the rest to have to add up all by yourself.

• Sad 2

1 hour ago, Gottfrid said:

Still unable to understand. Also here Georgetown belongs to DC. So the city you lived in was Washington DC, where you lived in the district named Georgetown. By the way, have a lovely park. However the city you lived in had millions in population, and the district in your city, which was Georgetown had less than 100 000 in population.

Enough with this nonsense now. I can give you the facts, but the rest to have to add up all by yourself.

No, I did not live in Washington, DC.  I was just using that as an example.  Georgetown is a neighborhood in DC.  So is Capitol Hill. They are both part of DC but quite different from each other.   If you read my post carefully, I said I lived in a small city of less than 100,000 residents.  As I said in my post, identifying areas of a city with named neighborhoods is helpful in many ways.  

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, newnative said:

No, I did not live in Washington, DC.  I was just using that as an example.  Georgetown is a neighborhood in DC.  So is Capitol Hill. They are both part of DC but quite different from each other.   If you read my post carefully, I said I lived in a small city of less than 100,000 residents.  As I said in my post, identifying areas of a city with named neighborhoods is helpful in many ways.  

Yes, but the first I posted was not at all as you are posting now. I reacted on so many that separate Jomtien from Pattaya as a separate city. Try to keep to the first thing you quoted.

17 hours ago, HashBrownHarry said:

As soon as it opens the people will come.

Not with all the hoop jumping they won't and a Thai government that will close BKK if the Thai health care system starts being overwhelmed.

Singapore opened and then reintroduced restrictions within a fortnight.

Not great to encourage long haul visitors.

I do wonder if some of the contributors on this forum actually keep up with what is actually going on globally with this pandemic.

Edited by Cherrytreeview
Edit
  • Confused 1

18 minutes ago, Cherrytreeview said:

Not with all the hoop jumping they won't and a Thai government that will close BKK if the Thai health care system starts being overwhelmed.

Singapore opened and then reintroduced restrictions within a fortnight.

Not great to encourage long haul visitors.

I do wonder if some of the contributors on this forum actually keep up with what is actually going on globally with this pandemic.

Your comparison with Singapore is not relevant, they do not rely on tourism.

I'm only interested in the quarantine reducing or being removed, don't care about anything else going on in Th.

1 hour ago, newnative said:

I'm not sure that many are thinking of it as a 'separate city'; and the same goes for Naklua, Wong Amat, Pratamnak, Cosy Beach, etc.  Instead, it's to indicate what area of Pattaya they are in.  DC resident to another DC resident:  "Where do you live?"  "I'm in Georgetown."  Pattaya resident to another Pattaya resident:  "Where do you live?"  "I'm in Jomtien."  Seems like you are being overly  bothered by something that's not really a big deal.

Seems like too many are thinking that, or anyway posting it clearly making it sound like that. I will help you with some examples below, so you maybe can get a grip and get why I post my original post.

On 9/7/2021 at 2:28 PM, HappyExpat57 said:

I lived in Jomtien for years, then last June moved to Pattaya to be closer to my friends. I'll be moving back to Jomtien at the end of my contract and taking a Bolt when we want to (and are eventually allowed to) get back together for a few suds. For me, riding a pushbike is what I do, and Pattaya just doesn't offer the same quality of roads. The convenience of being closer to Fascino/Makro/Big C et al isn't worth the trade-off. I wouldn't say I'm bagging Pattaya, instead
my druthers are Jomtien.

Here we have one example: He lived in Jomtien for years, and later moved to Pattaya. Now will move from Pattaya to Jomtien again. Actually been living in Pattaya all the time, but do not seem to get that. ???? 

On 9/7/2021 at 11:18 PM, rcuthbert said:

Jomtien  is a gay area.  Pattaya  is for puying mongers. That being said, one is wise to ask the hotties if they are ladyboys.

Also here we make a difference in relation to a city compared to a district. In reality, if Jomtien have gays, then Pattaya also have gays as it is thee same city.

On 9/7/2021 at 11:34 PM, shdmn said:

There is a Makro near Jomtien and a Big C not far from that, so you don't need to move to Pattaya to be near those.  Not walking distance but minutes away by scooter.

And here is a supermarket discussion, making it sound like there is a Makro in Jomtien so you do not need to move to Pattaya for that. Really? Jomtien is Pattaya!

• Sad 1

5 minutes ago, Gottfrid said:

Seems like too many are thinking that, or anyway posting it clearly making it sound like that. I will help you with some examples below, so you maybe can get a grip and get why I post my original post.

Here we have one example: He lived in Jomtien for years, and later moved to Pattaya. Now will move from Pattaya to Jomtien again. Actually been living in Pattaya all the time, but do not seem to get that. ???? 

Also here we make a difference in relation to a city compared to a district. In reality, if Jomtien have gays, then Pattaya also have gays as it is thee same city.

And here is a supermarket discussion, making it sound like there is a Makro in Jomtien so you do not need to move to Pattaya for that. Really? Jomtien is Pattaya!

General Semantics.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, bkksteve123 said:

I agree that it's going to be slow and take years even after borders are open.

13 hours ago, bkksteve123 said:

This presents an opportunity for new people/investors to buy up places at big discounts when they see potential in the market = new owners, new concept.

I tend to agree, however, it's been reported that there have been no significant reductions in rents, despite a recovery possibly being slow, and taking years.  

Why would an investor pay full rent to a Thai landlord who has their head up their a**, and before Pattaya has bounced back from covid, which will most likely take years, not months?  

I can't see investors rushing in whilst the amount of tourism can not service pre covid rents.  

• Like 1

On 8.9.2021 at 15:31, boogiewoogie said:

Pattaya ist ein schöner Ort. 

Natürlich, wenn Sie auf Iraner, Chinesen, Araber, Inder, Russen und Oldfаrt-Anglos stehen.

Interessanterweise habe ich in Pattaya noch nie einen jungen Briten gesehen, noch habe ich in Phuket einen Inder oder Iraner gesehen.

Pattaya is a beautiful place.

Well, beautiful is always in the eye of the beholder !

I like some beaches here,the very beautiful back country,My apartment, only 80 meters from the beach with unobstructed views of Koh Larn island,the huge restaurant selection and the, now very good, shopping malls.
I also like the women!!!  The nightlife is no longer my thing, after 30 years living in Thailand, of which now 25 years in Pattaya!
Iranians,Chinese,Arabs,Indians,Russians,etc. have never bothered me here,I am a "foreigner" here myself ????
But it is now times in such a way, which all foreigners living here, in their own area live!
So the Germans had their "Little Germany" in Naklua, the Arabs their seat in the area around the Marina, Russians remain mostly among themselves, etc. Disturbed me the different Nattionalitäten have actually never....From some German except ????
I am one myself!
In Pattaya never seen a young British????  Maybe a visual impairment?
Most of them don't have a sign on their chest "I am British".
The same is true for Phuket!
But you can always see what you want to see!

Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator (free version)

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Leaver said:

I tend to agree, however, it's been reported that there have been no significant reductions in rents, despite a recovery possibly being slow, and taking years.  

Why would an investor pay full rent to a Thai landlord who has their head up their a**, and before Pattaya has bounced back from covid, which will most likely take years, not months?  

I can't see investors rushing in whilst the amount of tourism can not service pre covid rents.  

That true. Some gave discounts, many did not. I suspect the greedy landlords (who do not understand opportunity cost) are holding out, expecting the same old offers to come in as soon as Thailand reopens. They will be disappointed, maybe they will face reality and let the market tell them what it's worth, or just stubbornly keep it unoccupied ????