Death Of Greg Hamilton

Jimjim1968

Hi,

An American I interviewed for a job recently died last Friday in a hotel room on a border run.

Greg was a nice guy but had had some bad luck in the last year with a girlfriend and then broke both ankles in a motorcycle accident.

He was doing ok, but I got an email from his sister saying he was found dead in his hotel room.

Does anybody know Greg or what happened? The authorities said it was a heart attack.

Regards,

Jim

Songkhla

Hi,

An American I interviewed for a job recently died last Friday in a hotel room on a border run.

Greg was a nice guy but had had some bad luck in the last year with a girlfriend and then broke both ankles in a motorcycle accident.

He was doing ok, but I got an email from his sister saying he was found dead in his hotel room.

Does anybody know Greg or what happened? The authorities said it was a heart attack.

Regards,

Jim

Songkhla

Sorry, I should have said Greg was working at Lampang.

Do you know where in Lampang he worked? Yonok College, Rajabaht, Rajamankla?

Thanks. Yes. Greg worked at Rajabaht University in Lampang.

He was a kind and fit man of about 39 years. Apparently he had a heart attack, but I would like to know more. His poor sister doesn't know what to do or think. He is to be cremated and his ashes flown back to USA

Do you know what hospital he may have been taken to? I can tell you from personal experience that the hospital would not have been able to even move him anywhere, let alone cremate him, without the consent and approval of the US gov't. Someone had to have contacted them. Who is flying back with his ashes?

This would have most likely been handled by the American Consulate in Chiangmai, and here is their link.

US Consulate Chiang Mai

They would have completed a gov't form titled "Report of the Death of an American Citizen Abroad", and they have their set procedures for contacting the next of kin (even if the next of kin is standing right in front of them) as well as contacting various gov't agencies such as the SSA, VA, state where his birth records are, and others. This report would show all of the details and would be used as his offical US death certificate for any life insurance, etc. Your best bet would be to contact the Consulate.

Good luck.

Hi,

Ya. The email I received from his sister stated that she had been contacted by the US Consulate. They are going to cremate the body and fly the ashes back to his family. They haven't seen him for a long time. Obviously she is distraught, confused and at a loss for what to think or do.

They said he had had a heart attack but as yet had not carried out an autopsy.

I know anyone can have a heart attack but what I knew of Greg he was pretty fit and only 40 years old tops.

So sad because he had wanted to come to work in Hat Yai (I know, I know abou the bombs) but had been pursuaded back to his existing job for the promise of a higher salary. We got on very well and after his breakup with his girlfriend and motorcycle accidents wanted some stability, which I was discussing with him.

Like many Westerners here he had had a rough time here and was needing some good friends and a chance to live a more settled life. He was a lawyer in the States and was very professional and kind in his manner. I really wanted to help him as I had a few adventures for my first couple of years here, but now am very settled with a stable environment. I wanted to show him this so he could find it too. He would have been a great asset to any organisation.

I just hope nothing bad happened to him and the authorities are not hiding the truth. He was on a border run at the time of his death - but I don't know which border.

I am Greg's cousin and have recently relocated to SE Asia (although not Thailand). Greg was about 40-41 years old and, to say the least, his tragic death was a huge shock to the family. All I know if the circumstances are through e-mails from, and phone calls to, the States. I am not even clear what city/town he died in. Any information that JimJim1968 or anyone else has on Greg would be most welcome.

TheKris

Edited by TheKris

I am Greg's cousin and have recently relocated to SE Asia (although not Thailand). Greg was about 40-41 years old and, to say the least, his tragic death was a huge shock to the family. All I know if the circumstances are through e-mails from, and phone calls to, the States. I am not even clear what city/town he died in. Any information that JimJim1968 or anyone else has on Greg would be most welcome.

TheKris

Hi

I have just sent you a pm. It contains a link to another discussion board that may help you with information.

TheKris,

My deepest sympathy to you and all family. Greg was a wonderful guy and I was shocked at his sudden death.

I have forwarded all correspondance with Greg to his sister Elaine so she can preserve his memory of his time here.

Please feel free to correspond if you should so need.

Jim

TheKris

Hi

I have just sent you a pm. It contains a link to another discussion board that may help you with information.

Hello: I am a friend of Greg's in Florida. Everyone here is concerned. Could you please give me the address for the other discussion board? Thank you!!

TheKris

Hi

Hello: I am a friend of Greg's in Florida. Everyone here is concerned. Could you please give me the address for the other discussion board? Thank you!!

http://www.teflwatch.org/forum/index.php/topic,1319.0.html