Drinking In Restaurants

Brewster67

5 minutes ago, Brewster67 said:

since when does covid spread faster with noise and people being loud and boystrous?.... Where is the scientific study to show this?.... Just breathing spreads the virus. Maybe we need a breathing ban.

So you don't support mask wearing also?

• Like 1

I am still looking all over Google and i have still not found ANY report that a restaurant drink ban is nationwide. All I can find is bans on a regional level by local provincial government. BKK, Phuket, Pattaya etc.....

Can someone post a link to a nationwide ban?

1 hour ago, LongTimeLurker said:

It's a national ban regardless.

And yes, it's stupid and restaurants won't recover business until patron can have a drink with their meal and they are allowed operate past 8 p.m.

Where did you see this?... I can still only find bans on a regional basis, EVERY report says it is local.

12 hours ago, Brewster67 said:

I am still looking all over Google and i have still not found ANY report that a restaurant drink ban is nationwide. All I can find is bans on a regional level by local provincial government. BKK, Phuket, Pattaya etc.....

Can someone post a link to a nationwide ban?

1562718524_ScreenShot2021-09-11at7_53_08am.png.880c9a44fd08a241a5d9e163f023d60f.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Brewster67 said:

Pubs and clubs are closed, ONLY restaurants left open. With the curfew they are empty by 8pm, not a lot of time for a raving night out on the pi**, also since when does covid spread faster with noise and people being loud and boystrous?.... Where is the scientific study to show this?.... Just breathing spreads the virus. Maybe we need a breathing ban.

Maybe a posting limit sometimes... agree to differ and leave it at that.

I assume that the sale of coffee and tea crockery must have been seeing skyrocketing curves lately ..... 
But this is all governmental rubb1sh; take the no-booze-rule on Buddhist holidays. Burma/Myanmar is much more Buddhist than Thailand, the Laotians are Buddhists likewise and there are big clusters of followers of the Buddhist philosophy. 

Guess what; it is only in Thailand, where you get skinned alive and thrown into the slammer for having a drink on a Buddhist holiday. In other words, it has absolutely nothing to do with Buddhism - me thinks. 
And since all those viruses are alcoholics, booze is banned in restaurants (but not at home)! 

Mind boggling! 

• Haha 1

I had a beer with my meal at a restaurant in the middle of Pak Chong last night. At another table sat a policeman. There wasn't a flicker of interest when the staff asked me whether I wanted a beer nor one when it was brought to me. 

If the restaurant was ignoring the rules then the officer was ignoring enforcing them.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, LongTimeLurker said:

It's a national ban regardless.

And yes, it's stupid and restaurants won't recover business until patron can have a drink with their meal and they are allowed operate past 8 p.m.

And from what i understand ALL restaurant workers must have been vaccinated country wide. 

17 hours ago, Brewster67 said:

I want to know if drinking alcohol in restaurants is applied to just dark red or red zones or is it a national ban regardless?

It appears the following is in force:

No changes to Orange and Red Zones since this: Thailand expands lockdown in 29 dark-red zone provinces from 3-31 August 2021

Orange: Restaurants and eateries are allowed to open per normal hours, and offer dine-in services without the sale and consumption of alcoholic beverages.

Red: Restaurants and eateries are allowed to offer dine-in services up until 23.00 Hrs., without the sale and consumption of alcoholic beverages.

Change for Dark Red Zone : Thailand eases COVID-19 restrictions from 1 September 2021

Dark Red: Restaurants and eateries, including those inside shopping malls or similar venues, are allowed to resume dine-in services up until 20.00 Hrs. without the sale and consumption of alcoholic beverages. Seating for dine-in customers shall be limited at 50% for air-conditioned restaurants and at 75% for the open-air ones.

17 hours ago, Brewster67 said:

Pubs and clubs are closed, ONLY restaurants left open. With the curfew they are empty by 8pm, not a lot of time for a raving night out on the pi**, also since when does covid spread faster with noise and people being loud and boystrous?.... Where is the scientific study to show this?.... Just breathing spreads the virus. Maybe we need a breathing ban.

And it spreads only near alcohol in restaurants, as well as only after 8pm, but never in homes. Covid is a remarkable virus. In Thailand, anyway.

18 hours ago, Brewster67 said:

It's not  "just" breathing that spreads the virus.   Loud talking, yelling, heaving breathing spread the virus more easily. That.s one of the reasons why gyms are not open , people on treadmills breathing heavy can spread virus more easily. Do you ride Skytrain?  There are  voice messages in Thai/English that ask that you refrain from talking on the train.   Bars are closed because when groups of guys gather to drink they are usually not sitting quitely and even others in bar  have to speak up to make themselves heard thus spreading more droplets and potentialy more virus.  Plus in a restaurant people eat /drink then leave in relatively short time.  At bars they congrgate telling stories , getting drunk ,,boisterous and spend more time in bars. Don't usually sit down  have a drink and then move on.

Edited by Tony125
spelling

Absolute rubbish rules. I doubt any other countries have this.You can even have your preferred tipple in Dubai.  Advertising published by Thai hotels abroad, saying, only soft drinks to be sold,in restaurants and hotels. So who the hell is going to come to Thailand if they can’t even get a drink with their meal ?

• Like 1

The virus can be spread by people and air.Don,t know about drinking a beer or wine in a restaurant.Thailand have some funny laws  about alcohol and voting and other events.I  wonder who thinks up this rule or law.Another law is no advertising alcohol  of the beer u sell,plan glasses too.also just as crazy

On 9/10/2021 at 6:16 PM, Brewster67 said:

You just described something I have NEVER seen in Thailand..... EVER.... Not in restaurants anyway. I have only ever seen the odd person drinking beer with 95% of thais drinking water or Pepsi, also I have never seen Thais being noisy or boystrous in restaurants, they are usually very reserved and I have never seen groups of Thais spewing saliva all over the place. But I have been in the occasional place that has been packed and no amount of drinking would imcrease the cloud of viral particles floating in the air in that case.

If that is your idea of the Thailand where you live..... MOVE.

You need to get out more ????????

If it were allowed, all the pubs would reopen as restaurants. People would drink way more than one beer, leading to closer contact with each other (and extended times without mask), allowing covid to spread more easily. This ban is one of a few things which does actually make some sense.

• Like 1

Wife was working as a waitress in a restaurant when the bars got shut (restaurants could still sell alcohol), it was a nightmare and she ended up quitting because of it.

A group of 10 guys were coming in at 10am, buy a plate of chips, then stay drinking all day. 

23 hours ago, Speedhump said:

A ban on drinking in restaurants or a ban on sale of alcohol by restaurants, which are we discussing? I can take a bottle (with a purchase receipt) in to a  restaurant with me and serve myself. 

Then you are breaking the rules, it's not allowed now. It clearly states "without the sale and consumption of alcoholic beverages."

14 minutes ago, Eaglekott said:

Then you are breaking the rules, it's not allowed now. It clearly states "without the sale and consumption of alcoholic beverages."

Ah, thanks. I'll continue to break the law then, if the restaurant owner is happy. I certainly never would smuggle booze into anywhere, being older and more respectful of others than in my dumb youth. 

PS - that doesn't say 'sale OR consumption' maybe it has to be both, not just one.... 

I'll be a test case if someone will back me financially. ????

Edited by Speedhump
On second thoughts....

On 9/12/2021 at 7:46 AM, jackdd said:

If it were allowed, all the pubs would reopen as restaurants. People would drink way more than one beer, leading to closer contact with each other (and extended times without mask), allowing covid to spread more easily. This ban is one of a few things which does actually make some sense.

Brother while I think in your mind you have 100% the right reasoning.

My heart tells me after over 6 months of no or less alcohol in the public this is exactly what I want. A real nice proper Bangkok night out.  Fair enough? ????

I was actually partying 1 week before the big Covid Breakout came and it was 100% made by the clubs. Thong Lor and others were soooo full. We had some lockdowns right? And then the clubs re-opened and literally everyone went out (including myself). That was predicable. So yeah I agree the alcohol is unfortunately the drive with the clubs and bars that are overfilled. 

But I think we should allow alcohol again outside meaning some markets like W District there is no reason not to have some nice food and beers there. Also some clubs have outside areas just sitting.. 

I have a lot of friends working in the night club industry and yeah they all jobless atm.