Time to revise ALL the different entry and retirement marriage visas?

1 hour ago, itsallmine68 said:

How does eliminating the 90 day and border runs attract more riff raft. 

Chnage hurts and it appears you dont want to get hurt

Why don't you suggest exactly what changes you have in mind. At the end of your OP you use words ....."relax the rules". What do you have in mind.

Skip the 90 report part. It's a given that it should be ditched.

What else...??

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

OP, on one hand you refer to tourists and same breathe refer to "only one year visas". Don't sound like tourists to me.

As for retirees, I am one and find it a very straight forward walk in the park system.

90 day reports are stupid agreed. 

I think that Thailand has a very relaxed clear and simple system. 

I am talking about the whole system and revising it tourist,

retirees etc 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Why don't you suggest exactly what changes you have in mind. At the end of your OP you use words ....."relax the rules". What do you have in mind.

Skip the 90 report part. It's a given that it should be ditched.

What else...??

I suggested a few what do you have or ar e you waiting in the bushes to attack

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

10 minutes ago, ChaiyaTH said:

Have to say, I was going frequently to VN too since I discovered the nice vibes there, who were similar to the old good days in TH. To get lots of beers and food for a few dollars is hard to beat. Gets you a small leo here

This thread is about visas etc to Thailand that it should be more simple.

Vietnam has visa exempt (is it 15 days) for some countries.

Folk from AU, USA and others need visa for entry. Retirement visas are more difficult in Vietnam. In fact think not available. 

So back to Thailand, I wonder what the OP has in mind to make it even more easy visa wise for Thailand.

Edited by DrJack54
  • Like 2

17 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

This thread is about visas etc to Thailand that it should be more simple.

Vietnam has visa exempt (is it 15 days) for some countries.

Folk from AU, USA and others need visa for entry. Retirement visas are more difficult in Vietnam. In fact think not available. 

So back to Thailand, I wonder what the OP has in mind to make it even more easy visa wise for Thailand.

VN is cheap compared to TH, if you really wanted a long term solution. It is just that the visa category does not match, the solutions are there and you could even own a little place then too or just do nothing and have the visa sorted regardless as a Business or partner. 

So just as relevant option unless you only want to be politically correct. Then again, TH is not gonna fix up until it is too late, VN is more likely to also introduce new visa categories and long stay visa sooner.

Edited by ChaiyaTH
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, ChaiyaTH said:

VN is cheap compared to TH, if you really wanted a long term solution. It is just that the visa category does not match, the solutions are there. So just as relevant unless you only want to be politically correct.

I won't continue as it's off topic except to say that I traveled to Vietnam every month from Thailand for several years.

My alternative pretty much was a 3:month multiple entry. 4 visas each year. Changes to that were also taking place just prior to covid. As I understand it back to back visas that I was using is now not possible.

In any event....do you have suggestions for visa options for Thailand not currently available.

Put aside that METV has been not available during covid.

Edited by DrJack54

The trend for Thailand is to attract rich foreigners, so they won't make it easy but actually more difficult in the future.

There are tons of poor people in Asia, if you make the gates easy to enter, tons of people will flood into Thailand.

Some people here even circumvent the one year visa requirements by hiring agents, that will make the requirements even tougher in the future to weed out these people who hire agents.

It used to be 800k for 3 months before retirement extension but now, 800k for 5 months due to some people hiring agents in the past.

The bar might be raised even higher if people still don't change their ways.

Once the pandemic is over, be prepared to see floods of Chinese tourists again.

Edited by EricTh
  • Confused 1
  • Haha 2

The one thing they never do is go back to the start with a blank sheet of paper and ask themselves basic questions: What are we here for? what are our aims? what are the constraints? how can we encourage more and 'better' people to visit/live here? what can we safely cease doing to make things easier for everyone? how can we make our processes simpler and more efficient? how can we make economies and replace employees with modern digital capabilities? what are the security implications of simplification and fewer employees? ...

In your dreams ...

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

You suggested eliminate 90 day reports. That's a given and has been suggested very often. Hopefully will be abolished.

You mentioned do away with border runs without any suggested alternatives. You suggest "one year visas" again without any detail.

BTW one year visas are currently available. 

Well DR maybe you could have suggested also but again I have picked up someone that is a keyboard jockey and cant sugest or add. 

• Confused 1
  • Sad 2
  • Haha 1

14 hours ago, ChaiyaTH said:

By the time TH would come to senses Bali and Vietnam already stole the show. I mean, they basically already did before covid anyway, it was just the loads of Chinese who still made it seem busy as the good old years.

Have to say, I was going frequently to VN too since I discovered the nice vibes there, who were similar to the old good days in TH. To get lots of beers and food for a few dollars is hard to beat. Gets you a small leo here.

The Indonesian central government stated that Bali will not allow backpackers to visit the island once the international travel corridor reopens in the future.

Source

• Confused 1

16 hours ago, itsallmine68 said:

I am talking about the whole system and revising it tourist,

retirees etc 

Why ? It works fine as it is, if it ain't broke don't fix it. Tourists are just that, Tourists. Although a 3month visa should be available as was in the past , more than that you should not be considered a tourist. 

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, 4MyEgo said:

I mean how difficult would it be to walk into an immigration office anywhere in the country with ones passport, updated bankbook showing the money is in the account on the prescribed date, filling in a single form with address, contact details and getting an extension stamp in your passport, nope too difficult their systems couldn't handle it.

That might happen. The agents would love it, as it would formalise the immigration office shopping they often employ today.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, 4MyEgo said:

Albeit it draconian.

I agree the 90 day reporting is stupid, as well as the annual repeat extension method, no one really looks at the paperwork, although the marriage visa has to go to another office for inspection and approval.

The problem here is anyone who comes up with a good idea usually gets side lined unless its an idea from the boss, i.e. there is no incentive for one to think outside the box, promotions are usually by way of seniority.

I mean how difficult would it be to walk into an immigration office anywhere in the country with ones passport, updated bankbook showing the money is in the account on the prescribed date, filling in a single form with address, contact details and getting an extension stamp in your passport, nope too difficult their systems couldn't handle it.

Like you say, the system is pretty straight forward, but think of how much time is lost for us renewing our extensions, I for one have to drive to town the day before, 20 minutes each way, go to the bank for the letter, 20 to 60 minutes with the clerk fumbling to get it across the line, photo shop, come back in 20 to collect, walk to Amphur for updated marriage certificate, up to an hour depending on shoe ques, then back to photo shop, then home 20 minute drive, print off all paperwork for immigration office for the next day then take the hour 20 minute drive, wait, then go through the BS for 45 minutes and drive back home, only to come back a month later to collect it, I mean seriously, a straight through system that is a waste of time.

I think if one was allowed to go to any office, provide a bankbook up to date showing the funds in there, their passport and filling in a simple form with current address and contact numbers would be a much smoother system, after all they have all of our details on the system, or do they.

I suppose my way would mean tipping their system on the head, imagine what they could do with all their free time, but then again that could be the day when redundancies become fashionable, it's inevitable.  

Yes.. have had to do all of that ....jfi...a small point...ref "walk to Amphur for updated marriage certificate"...Maybe a local thing but got all the paperwork done for First extension last year...but seems said updated marriage certificate... now Not Required..?...Our local Amphur manager.. wife knows her well confirmed.."No Need"..?..Will pick up my second extension in a few weeks time...so...will see..

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Rinrada said:

Yes.. have had to do all of that ....jfi...a small point...ref "walk to Amphur for updated marriage certificate"...Maybe a local thing but got all the paperwork done for First extension last year...but seems said updated marriage certificate... now Not Required..?...Our local Amphur manager.. wife knows her well confirmed.."No Need"..?..Will pick up my second extension in a few weeks time...so...will see..

Yes I have heard things vary from office to office, i.e. never had to get one in 3 years, then all of a sudden, needed it, suffice to say every year things change with them handing me paperwork back that was required the year before.

• Like 1