COVID-19: Coronavirus cases in Thailand drop for the fifth consecutive day

webfact

COV21.jpg

File photo: REUTERS

Thailand on Tuesday (September 21) reported 10,919 new COVID-19 cases, 11,694 recoveries and 143 additional deaths over the past 24 hours.

◼︎ 11,694 recoveries

◼︎ 10,497 new infections 

◼︎ 422 prison / prison infections

▶︎ Total infections since April 1: 1,471,242

▶︎ Total recoveries since since April 1: 1,325,412

Tuesday’s cases bring the total number of COVID-19 infections in Thailand to 1,500,105 with 15,612 deaths.

The news comes as doctors in Thailand have been given the go-ahead to start giving COVID-19 booster shots under the skin, rather than injecting them into muscles, officials said on Monday, in an effort to strengthen immunity and stretch vaccine supplies.

Health Minister Anutin Charnvirakul said the method, which doctors began exploring last month, could be used at the discretion of medical professionals, providing it was supported by evidence.

Chalermpong Sukonthaphon, director of the Vachira Hospital in Phuket, said his hospital had been given the green light to use the technique from Friday, as trials had showed it triggered a similar immune response to the regular method.

*REUTERS contributed to this report

Asean-now_Covid-Dashboard-Stats-Graphic-Template-Thailand-(update21SEP).png

asean_now_BB.jpg
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Bkk Brian said:

Another drop in case pcr numbers but large spike in ATK

PCR test positive cases, total of 10,919 official new infections, with 422 of those from prison and 10,497 from the community. 143 official covid deaths recorded. 

Rapid tests positive cases, 6,593 bringing the unofficial total to 17,512

https://ddc.moph.go.th/covid19-dashboard/

Rolling 7 day average (up to 19th Sept) which includes prison cases and bar chart of community cases from daily official announcements.

https://ourworldindata.org/coronavirus/country/thailand

D488F940-D597-4D4C-876F-069364DF2EF3.png

A34E6BE4-9F2C-4F2A-A96C-127CE96018CF.png

Looks like a very large amount of ATK positive tests.  One has to wonder how many of them may now be re-tested via PCR to obtain treatment in a hospital, hospitel, or Field hospital.  On another note I read another Op where only 20% or so of the issues free ATK test kits have been used and returned to the folks who issued them.  I never knew that once used you needed to return the kit to them.  Guess I need to do more research so if I decide to buy some at the local pharmacy I know what to do with them after use.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Bkk Brian said:

Hearing that Bangkok City Hall maybe pushing back the opening of the capital to tourists to mid November to ensure 70% of the population is vaccinated, as expected no early opening being discussed. B.P. Report

I have no idea what "open to tourists" means. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

My question is this "In order to do the 1 million do they actually have the doses available or are they going to move into the new under the skin vaccination procedure......

If the number of vaccinations per day is true, (some 700k+ per day), then apparently supply is of no concern.

Amazing.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

Cases of those tested seem to be going down a little bit every day.  The issue is those still hospitalized and on ventilators as well as those at home waiting for a bed for treatment.  Vaccinations seem to be kicking up, and it seems that the Government wants to try and do 1 million tests on this upcoming Friday, which if they can pull off show that anything is possible.  My question is this "In order to do the 1 million do they actually have the doses available or are they going to move into the new under the skin vaccination procedure to save vaccine as another OP running now indicates.  I have yet to see any real world studies on the use of an under the skin vaccination vs. an intramuscular injection.  The issue obviously is that the studies done for each vaccine were on actual injections and not under the skin.  Lets hope that those who are vaccinated starting with this new plan do not have any issues and the vaccine is taken up by the system and does not stay as a lump under the skin.  Finally obtained a vaccination appointment for my GF, and verified it with her doctors as being ok, good to go.  Waiting to see how the rules may change as well for travel with the vaccination and continued testing when one arrives at their destination.  Seems that even being double vaccinated is not good enough, but why international travelers are treated differently form those of us living in the country is a true inequality.  Stay safe folks and continue to be vigilant wherever you may be.

Did you try the 'walk-in' Pfizer at Amarin Plaza for your girlfriend? I'm wondering if it really is as advertised.

1 hour ago, Danderman123 said:

I have no idea what "open to tourists" means. 

you are not alone in that thought

My guess is that they are not interested in opening anything until the Chinese authorities allow their citizens to travel, that has always been the target sector - large Chinese tour groups that they can herd around in relative isolation - it is what sandbox is designed for and represents exactly what Chinese tourist did pre-covid

• Like 1

1 hour ago, webfact said:

Thailand on Tuesday (September 21) reported 10,919 new COVID-19 cases, 11,694 recoveries and 143 additional deaths over the past 24 hours.

◼︎ 11,694 recoveries

◼︎ 10,497 new infections 

◼︎ 422 prison / prison infections

Is Asean now infected with the inability to publish the total figures released by ignoring 6,593 positive antigen tests?, extremely misleading to the readership.

I quote and thanks to Bkk Brian with the actual totals available.

Rapid tests positive cases, 6,593 bringing the unofficial total to 17,512

https://ddc.moph.go.th/covid19-dashboard/

2 hours ago, EricTh said:

Nothing to celebrate about. Wake me up when the figures drop to less than 1000 cases per day.

Chile has already dropped to 300 cases.

When we have adequately vaccinated populations, the issue is not so much about cases, but hospitalizations/deaths.  In the UK for example during a bad flu year, 40 people a day might be expected to die on average.  So I imagine that may have to be the benchmark for covid19 too.

Sadly, the vaccines may not be able to prevent infection, yet are very effective at reducing severity of illness. Actually, most fatalities seem to occur in people who are not vaccinated.  The pragmatic measure is how hospitals are coping.  Should we regard non vaccinated people in the figures once they have had adequate opportunity to get jabbed? That's a tricky ethical question. Undoubtedly, a small minority are unable to get vaccinated because of medical issues, but most have simply made their decision and in my opinion that shouldn't influence public policy.

Also, I believe we need to recognize that some elderly or unwell people really die of their condition and covid19 is merely the proximate, ie, the straw that broke the camels back.

Edited by mommysboy
  • Like 2