Fifteen people arrested in Pattaya restaurant after police raid, were allegedly drinking alcohol and violating Covid-19 rules

webfact

Last night a Police Lieutenant came into the restaurant I was eating at (with my family and friends).

I’d had one beer with dinner and finished the beer about 10mins before he entered the restaurant. 

As fate would have it after 1 beer I felt like switching to water - I wonder if he’d have tried to shake me down / and / or the restaurant, should I have had a bottle of beer remaining on the table or had a second beer in front of me. 

Some of those on other tables (2 or 3) had also had a beers (that I could see), but they too had either finished their meals and left the restaurant, or no longer had a beer on their table, perhaps fortunate. 

What was the policeman doing walking into a restaurant and checking ??? - he was obviously checking to see if people were drinking booze, why?.... shakedown opportunity.... 

The way he walked in full of ‘authority’ looking to find those guilty of the heinous crime of having a beer with their dinner.  He came to our table and asked our kids if they were vaccinated !!!!.... Idiot !!! we had to tell him that kids can’t get vaccinated.

The booze ban in restaurants is utterly moronic it hands over ’shakedown power’ to idiots. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, richard_smith237 said:

The booze ban in restaurants is utterly moronic it hands over ’shakedown power’ to idiots. 

Only if they break the rule..... 

Fancy asking if the kids were vaccinated.... foolish man.

On 9/23/2021 at 5:20 PM, richard_smith237 said:

But... you have both [NanLeaw and Rob] mentioned bars and nightclubs - these are specific entertainment venues where people are mobile and social interaction is the objective, social isolation is avoided. 

And the fifteen people arrested in a Pattaya shop house were doing what now?

People simply cannot be trusted to act sensibly; not all of them anyway. For every genuine diner who wants a beer or a glass of wine with their meal, there will be half-a-dozen who are only there to have drink (or six). There are the patrons that will order food and then hang about for a few hours afterwards drinking. Then there's the non-confrontational business owner who doesn't want to interrupt these 'guests' lest they get all arsey. Arseyness increases exponentially with the units of alcohol imbibed. These idiots are willfully flaunting a legal restraint on their behavior for reasons already been backed by scientific and medical evidence. It's not an arbitrary suspension of anyone's civil liberties. Orwellian or otherwise.

Therefore the path of least resistance for governments and business owners is to TEMPORARILY REMOVE the temptation. Until there's a enduring trend that the scientific and medical community globally has a very, very firm handle on this coronavirus, gurning about being unable to have a Chang or a Chablis with dinner is just that, gurning.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

What was the policeman doing walking into a restaurant and checking ??? - he was obviously checking to see if people were drinking booze, why?.... shakedown opportunity.... 

You need to ask? Seriously?

What do you think is the best way to avoid this law breaking that you only see as a "shakedown opportunity"?

• Haha 1

21 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

What do you think is the best way to avoid this law breaking that you only see as a "shakedown opportunity"?

How do you know that. I drove down soi 7 last night around 7pm, hardly any lights on. Not a bar or restaurant on the soi one could not see inside if 13 people were drinking. These were not a collection of the best and brightest we're talking about.

4 minutes ago, ChaiyaTH said:

Who would have ever believed it when you said ''Its easier to get drunk in Kuala Lumpur than Pattaya''

It's not about getting pished though. It's all about being denied 'the inalienable right' to have a beer or wine with dinner.

Isn't it?

46 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

People simply cannot be trusted to act sensibly; not all of them anyway. For every genuine diner who wants a beer or a glass of wine with their meal, there will be half-a-dozen who are only there to have drink (or six). There are the patrons that will order food and then hang about for a few hours afterwards drinking. Then there's the non-confrontational business owner who doesn't want to interrupt these 'guests' lest they get all arsey. Arseyness increases exponentially with the units of alcohol imbibed. These idiots are willfully flaunting a legal restraint on their behavior for reasons already been backed by scientific and medical evidence. It's not an arbitrary suspension of anyone's civil liberties. Orwellian or otherwise.

Therefore the path of least resistance for governments and business owners is to TEMPORARILY REMOVE the temptation. Until there's a enduring trend that the scientific and medical community globally has a very, very firm handle on this coronavirus, gurning about being unable to have a Chang or a Chablis with dinner is just that, gurning.

According to Worldometer Thailand is leading the West by a huge margin when it comes to limiting Covid-19 deaths. Steps taken in light of a delay in vaccinations obviously have been effective. Social spacing, closing restaurants, bars and public alcohol consumption all have been the backbone of the fight against Covid. And it has worked in spite of the late vaccination roll out. Job well done Thailand.  Facts are stubborn things. Disagree ? Back it up with verifiable facts and not BS spin.

DEATHS PER 100,000

*************************************************THAILAND                           22 

USA                                     204

UK                                        199

FRANCE                               178

GERMANY                            111   

ITALY                                    215

SPAIN                                    184

NETHERLANDS                    106

BELGIUM                               224

GREECE                                 144

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Last night a Police Lieutenant came into the restaurant I was eating at (with my family and friends).

I’d had one beer with dinner and finished the beer about 10mins before he entered the restaurant. 

As fate would have it after 1 beer I felt like switching to water - I wonder if he’d have tried to shake me down / and / or the restaurant, should I have had a bottle of beer remaining on the table or had a second beer in front of me. 

Some of those on other tables (2 or 3) had also had a beers (that I could see), but they too had either finished their meals and left the restaurant, or no longer had a beer on their table, perhaps fortunate. 

The way he walked in full of ‘authority’ looking to find those guilty of the heinous crime of having a beer with their dinner.  He came to our table and asked our kids if they were vaccinated !!!!.... Idiot !!! we had to tell him that kids can’t get vaccinated.

shakedown power’ to idiots 

Seems to be very effect in the war against covid.

3 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

'' shake power to idiots'' seems to be a very effective too used against the idiots to save their lives

1 hour ago, NanLaew said:

Expand  

According to Worldometer Thailand is leading the West by a huge margin when it comes to limiting Covid-19 deaths. Steps taken in light of a delay in vaccinations obviously have been effective. Social spacing, closing restaurants, bars and public alcohol consumption all have been the backbone of the fight against Covid. And it has worked in spite of the late vaccination roll out. Job well done Thailand.  Facts are stubborn things. Disagree ? Back it up with verifiable facts and not BS spin.

DEATHS PER 100,000 SINCE THE BEGINNING OF COVID-19

***THAILAND                           22 

USA                                     204

UK                                        199

FRANCE                               178

GERMANY                            111   

ITALY                                    215

SPAIN                                    184

NETHERLANDS                    106

BELGIUM                               224

GREECE                                 144

Edited by jazzdog32095
delete

3 hours ago, NanLaew said:
5 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

What do I think is the best way to avoid this law breaking?

Answer: By not creating moronic laws in the first place - IF it is determined that restaurants can open and serve food, people having a beer with dinner presents no additional risk. 

Your comments (in an earlier reply) seem to imply that no one can be trusted to simply have a few beers with dinner and that a 6 to 1 ratio exists where people will get crazily drunk - thats an exaggeration. 

I understand why bars and clubs cannot open - their purpose is different. 

But, IMO, banning booze in a restaurant is nothing than an ill thought out knee-jerk and puritanical regulation which really doesn’t do anything other than present an opportunity to the police. 

How many people in restaurants have you really ever seen behaving in a way that would increase risk of Covid-19 transmission?

I do understand your points (in an earlier reply), I also understand why the government have made this decision. I just disagree that the reasons are sound and of critical thought. I suspect that more-likely booze was just an easy target... 

On 9/23/2021 at 12:40 PM, richard_smith237 said:

This is becoming more like an

Islamic Fundamentalist State by the day. 

Your not wrong.

Nonsense this place now, ever hear those loud speakers all around outskirts of Pattaya, blasting out Government propaganda 4 or 5 times a day, similar to something from a place like North Korea.  

• Haha 1

On 9/25/2021 at 4:45 PM, jazzdog32095 said:
On 9/25/2021 at 3:52 PM, NanLaew said:

'the inalienable right'

Unalienable Rights are Rights that are the natural rights of all men. When government does take action against a particular right, it may only do so to the extent necessary to address a genuine concern for public safety.

I was being facetious (the quotation marks being the big clue here). In these woke times, pretty much everyone who feels in the least bit slighted claims that it's their 'inalienable right' not to be slighted. Note the quotation marks (again). There are those that loudly profess to feel the slight of others that they see as being slighted as well despite those others paying no mind to any of it.

PS: It's inalienable and not unalienable.

• Confused 1