Sandbox insurance for non-O

Hello, I'm just getting myself together to return to Thailand. If anyone has any information on the following it would be greatly appreciated. 

(I am on a spouse visa expiring next July) 

1. I have been quoted from a Thai insurance company for one year insurance 21,000 baht. (up to 5million bahr cover and covid cover), does this seem like a sensible choice? 

(it is a renewal and upgrade from my last year's cover to reach the $100k requirement). 

2. I assume I am not eligible for normal 'travel insurance' from a European company, which would be much cheaper, as I am not a 'tourist', but if I am it would be good to know? 

3. Is there anything else I may be overlooking in my situation ? 

Thank you, 

Joe 

16 minutes ago, internationalism said:

just get for one month covid 1.5-2.5k (depending country you travel from)

This is the first suggestion I have heard that one month Covid insurance is sufficient for a proposed eight month or so stay. Some state that the insurance must cover the entire initial permission to stay; others say three months is sufficient. Do you have a source to the effect that one month is acceptable for the COE?

20 minutes ago, internationalism said:

The consulate here told me I have to have the required medical insurance for my entire stay, or until my visa expires. This same thing has been reported by many members here.

You also need covid coverage for your first month.

7 hours ago, BritTim said:

This is the first suggestion I have heard that one month Covid insurance is sufficient for a proposed eight month or so stay. Some state that the insurance must cover the entire initial permission to stay; others say three months is sufficient. Do you have a source to the effect that one month is acceptable for the COE?

The covid 19 insurance has to be valid for the length of stay you get when entering the country.

The OP will need insurance to the day his re-entry permit expires since that is the stay he will allowed when entering the country.

A new  non-o visa only requires 90 days since that is the permit to stay you get when entering the country.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, Joejoejoejoe said:

2. I assume I am not eligible for normal 'travel insurance' from a European company, which would be much cheaper, as I am not a 'tourist', but if I am it would be good to know?

You do not have to be a tourist to get travel insurance.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

The covid 19 insurance has to be valid for the length of stay you get when entering the country.

The OP will need insurance to the day his re-entry permit expires since that is the stay he will allowed when entering the country.

A new  non-o visa only requires 90 days since that is the permit to stay you get when entering the country.

I think you can have insurance only until your ticket out of the country? I'll get a refundable ticket out a few weeks after my entry. Seems a return ticket is now being required anyway.

My trips originate from Thailand. Haven't had a return ticket when entering Thailand for a very long time.  LOL

18 hours ago, internationalism said:

He cannot get just one month if his permission to stay ends in July and he is coming back now. He has to have insurance for the full period that he will be stamped in for.

8-9 month COVID only policy will cost him about as much as the more comprehensive policy he has been quoted (as I understand it he already has general health insurance but it was for less than the required amount so is thinking of upgrading it). So seems like a good idea.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Sheryl said:

He cannot get just one month if his permission to stay ends in July and he is coming back now. He has to have insurance for the full period that he will be stamped in for.

8-9 month COVID only policy will cost him about as much as the more comprehensive policy he has been quoted (as I understand it he already has general health insurance but it was for less than the required amount so is thinking of upgrading it). So seems like a good idea.

Looks like we'll fly in with Emirates. They are offering multi risk insurance that also covers covid.

It covers you for your entire trip. The cost of a return ticket is the same as one way! And free changes.

On 9/25/2021 at 11:30 PM, BritTim said:

I have red it 10 days ago on some sub-forum, but can't find it anymore, despite many keyword searches. Possibly that topic was deleted as misleading.

Poster, an expat (not a tourist on an visa exempt) had an advice from consulate in Athens and COE was granted by them.

Changes are coming - some consulates stopped issuing COE all together. Possibly there would be cheaper insurance options to chose from. Cover for $100k is in excess, typical covid hospitalisation at private is a few hundred thousands, not over 30mln. 

My yearly health insurance from pacific is 20k, includes added on outpatient and 900k emergency.

A yearly covid cover from my insurer is 31.5k. I would need yearly, because I am extending now my spouse and will be ready to travel in November, as soon as I get it. 

I have asked them to cancel my health and get a new one, including covid.

I just got a reply from them. The mentioned insurer is completely new to me, but charges only 15k flat rate, no matter from what country entry is.

This option is cheaper than from the often mentioned here government insurer, which is 14.5 - 25k per year (depending from which country colour to enter).

"You can keep your current policy if you want and just add a covid only policy which I think would be cheaper than switching your policy.

If you switch with a plan with Pacific Cross that would cover the 100,000 USD covid coverage the plan cost would be : 60,442 / year 

Another option is you can keep your current policy and just add covid only insurance from tune for 1 year. 

https://www.tuneprotect.co.th/en/portal/coronavirus-covid-19-insurance

You can find that option on the Link above. This is 15,000 annually and it only covers covid and it also satisfies the entry requirements."

On 9/25/2021 at 11:35 PM, Jeffr2 said:

The consulate here told me I have to have the required medical insurance for my entire stay, or until my visa expires. This same thing has been reported by many members here.

You also need covid coverage for your first month.

Stockholm embassy was ok with my 14days insurance. 

• Like 1

In another thread I read that if you fly with Emirates they'll include insurance asked for the COE for your entire stay or 31 days if on a one way ticket. 

I wish I knew this before flying in. 

Basically you buy return after 365 days and you're covered a full year.

https://www.emirates.com/th/english/before-you-fly/multi-risk-travel-insurance/

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, PoorSucker said:

In another thread I read that if you fly with Emirates they'll include insurance asked for the COE for your entire stay or 31 days if on a one way ticket. 

I wish I knew this before flying in. 

Basically you buy return after 365 days and you're covered a full year.

https://www.emirates.com/th/english/before-you-fly/multi-risk-travel-insurance/

I'm buying my ticket today. A return ticket within 30 days of departure is cheap. Push it out 6 months and the price goes up a lot!

22 minutes ago, raptorea said:

They might be ok, What about Thai immigration at the airport?

While I doubt this is what happens, logically (if a 14-day Covid insurance was accepted for the COE) you ought to be stamped in for a 14-day permission to stay. Obviously, at the current time, a 14-day stay would be crazy.

11 minutes ago, BritTim said:

While I doubt this is what happens, logically (if a 14-day Covid insurance was accepted for the COE) you ought to be stamped in for a 14-day permission to stay. Obviously, at the current time, a 14-day stay would be crazy.

Got my 90 days.

As usual there's no communication between MFA and immigration. 

• Sad 1

On 9/27/2021 at 12:51 AM, PoorSucker said:

Got my 90 days.

As usual there's no communication between MFA and immigration. 

2 hours ago, internationalism said:

some travel agent from germany had reply from munich consulate, that 90 day covid insurance is sufficient

My understanding is that the Covid insurance period only needs to cover the quarantine period. Now that quarantine is going away November 1 it will be interesting to see how this is interpreted.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Soondae said:

My understanding is that the Covid insurance period only needs to cover the quarantine period. Now that quarantine is going away November 1 it will be interesting to see how this is interpreted.

No, it's for your stay.

That's why a bought a ticket to Singapore after 14days.

• Like 2

On 9/27/2021 at 7:39 AM, BritTim said:

logically (if a 14-day Covid insurance was accepted for the COE) you ought to be stamped in for a 14-day permission to stay.

the COE for sandbox is for min. 14 days. what you do after that is not their concern, so

the embassy only want to see insurance for 14 days. if you will stay later without insurance is

not the embassy concern. also immigration does not require to see insurance for non-O extention.

so just show the embassy a 14 day insurance and get your COE.