Food Panda in Chiang Mai

SamSanuk

Wasn’t there some hulabaloo with Food Panda and it’s CM drivers a few weeks ago? Did it get resolved?

One thing I recently noticed was a small delivery charge now on my favorite restaurants. I asked the driver if this baht goes to him but he said No, it goes to the company.

• Confused 1

On 9/26/2021 at 11:53 AM, brommers said:

All these food riders are nothing but modern day slaves, with no job security, no health insurance, and employers that take a huge fee out of their earnings. Anyone using these services is guilty of exploitation.

and this is why you should tip

• Like 2

On 9/26/2021 at 2:33 PM, EricTh said:

@SamSanuk

I noticed that these food delivery services drive dangerously fast; cutting queues and road dividers just to earn more commission.

I think they get certain commission out of each delivery.

...the food is never hot...so no need to rush.

8 hours ago, tandor said:

...the food is never hot...so no need to rush.

They don't rush to deliver your food hot, but to be free for the next order.

In CM, it seems that half of the 2-wheels on the road now are food delivery services. Many are quite considerate, but yes a few seem bent down to gain every second. I think of the pittance they earn for each delivery and give them space. Good earning opportunity especially in covid times, shame though for the extra garbage produced.

• Like 1

On 9/26/2021 at 11:53 AM, brommers said:

All these food riders are nothing but modern day slaves, with no job security, no health insurance, and employers that take a huge fee out of their earnings. Anyone using these services is guilty of exploitation.

Rubbish. Their employment conditions are in line with local cultural standards and you are imposing a western model which is a form of colonialism and by boycotting them depriving people of a living. If you feel so strongly give them extra money directly..but you won't...Typical SJW

Edited by The Hammer2021
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

from 'The Hammer2021'

'Their employment conditions are in line with local cultural standards and you are imposing a western model which is a form of colonialism.'

Thanks for that. It gave me a good laugh.

Explain please or invest in a dictionary (Chambers is very good).

On 9/26/2021 at 2:33 PM, EricTh said:

@SamSanuk

I noticed that these food delivery services drive dangerously fast; cutting queues and road dividers just to earn more commission.

I think they get certain commission out of each delivery.

A FP driver came to the shop of my friend last year to wash his motorcycle. He told me that they get something around (I don't remember the exact amount) 28-32 bahts per delivery (not including tip). I think Grab pay their drivers a little bit more but I'm not exactly sure.

3 hours ago, shocky2012 said:

A FP driver came to the shop of my friend last year to wash his motorcycle. He told me that they get something around (I don't remember the exact amount) 28-32 bahts per delivery (not including tip). I think Grab pay their drivers a little bit more but I'm not exactly sure.

I understand the need to earn money but not at the expense of causing accidents.

Many times, I have noticed they are the rudest drivers and would come into our right of path at high speed.

It's as rude as cutting queues.

Edited by EricTh
  • Sad 1

Saw this posted online today…..might be of interest:

A survey by Rocket Media lab of 1,136 food delivery riders gave some interesting stats on the fast developing business in Thailand.

It has been a business that has been fuelled by customer habits in the pandemic and work from home rules.

Kasikorn's research arm has said that it is worth 5.31 to 5.58 billion baht this year, up between 18.4% and 24.4% on 2020 figures.

There have been many protests by delivery men and women complaining their companies change the rates at the drop of a hat and that their legal status is not properly defined so their benefits are not necessarily enshrined in law. 

Lineman and Panda riders have protested in Bangkok and Chiang Mai.

The survey suggested that 80% of riders were male, 14% female and the rest didn't say.

44% were aged 23-30 and 31.69% were aged 31 to 40.

7% were aged 41 and over.

Just over half the riders had been to high school.

Half had only themselves to take care of, but 38% needed money for 1-2 others and 23% were looking after 3-4 people in the family.

About 46% said they earned enough, others said they couldn't save or the money left them short each month.

Half earn about 10-15 baht, 27% 15-20,000 and 10% over 20,000 a month.

For 60% it was their main job, 40% treated it as a second income. 

They had come from a wide variety of previous positions they had either lost or resigned from. 

Many stated that concerns over liability in road accidents represented a key concern.