Motorcycle license

Zyte

I am returning to Thailand soon I hope after a long absence, I wondered what are the legal requirements for renting a bike? , do I need a license ? Is it the same as the old days a visit of a few months is okay but don’t get caught. 

• Confused 1
  • Sad 2

4 hours ago, Swiss1960 said:

You only can get a IDP, if you have a valid driver license from your home country.

Driving without license - no matter in which country - means not only fines when checked (and they like to check in tourist places in Thailand) and most of all means driving without insurance. If you have an accident while driving without license, NO insurance will pay a cent - so better have some millions of cash ready to pay for the hospital and for repatriation. 

Driving a car or motorbike without valid license and brag about it? Stupid is as stupid does.

Many do drive without DL's in Thailand, Thais and Tourists alike hence Thailands CTPL cover on vehicles.

If someone is stupid enough not even having that conver on the vehicle they are even more stupid. 

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, Gottfrid said:

Strange that a person actually need to ask if they need a license for driving a motorbike. I am baffled!

He asked about renting a bike. I'm baffled of such poor reading comprehension.

Edited by EVENKEEL
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, EVENKEEL said:

He asked about renting a bike.

Ok, do you mean he will rent it and just let it stay on the road like a babe magnet? You do know there is no different is he is going to ride it. There is not one law that says tourists can drive rented bike with no license, bur the ones that own a bike must have.

I sincerely hope I helped you to sort it out now.
(Just to let you know, In my opinion your statement was even more baffling.)

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Gottfrid said:

Ok, do you mean he will rent it and just let it stay on the road like a babe magnet? You do know there is no different is he is going to ride it. There is not one law that says tourists can drive rented bike with no license, bur the ones that own a bike must have.

I sincerely hope I helped you to sort it out now.
(Just to let you know, In my opinion your statement was even more baffling.)

Please see edit. Enjoy your day.

5 minutes ago, EVENKEEL said:

Please see edit. Enjoy your day.

So, what´s the difference? Comprehension capability disorder is on your side. He will need a license both to rent and ride. Ok, some will rent it out to him without, but if stopped he need a license. Only small fine, but he should still have one.

14 minutes ago, Gottfrid said:

So, what´s the difference? Comprehension capability disorder is on your side. He will need a license both to rent and ride. Ok, some will rent it out to him without, but if stopped he need a license. Only small fine, but he should still have one.

He asked if he needed a license to rent. The answer is no. If you're stopped you pay a small 200-400 fine and you learn to bypass those checkpoints. mai pen rai

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

43 minutes ago, vandeventer said:

It depends on who you are renting from, a international motorcycle license is best. Also check and see if he has insurance on the bike. Have a good look at the bike to see if it has any scratches or paint chips. If it has take pictures before you go. Happy trails!

Quite sure there is not a recognized international motorcycle license. Regardless, what is needed and acceptable to the police (at least here in Phuket) is a valid motorcycle license from your home country. Always try and pay with a Visa card that has vehicle rental insurance coverage. Does the renter have insurance? IMHO, very unlikely. And yes, definitely take your own pics of the bike before heading out. And I mean, lots of pics.

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, Swiss1960 said:

You only can get a IDP, if you have a valid driver license from your home country.

Driving without license - no matter in which country - means not only fines when checked (and they like to check in tourist places in Thailand) and most of all means driving without insurance. If you have an accident while driving without license, NO insurance will pay a cent - so better have some millions of cash ready to pay for the hospital and for repatriation. 

Driving a car or motorbike without valid license and brag about it? Stupid is as stupid does.

Also, make sure you get the correct IDP. There are 3 types 1926, 1949 and 1968.

You need a type 1949 for Thailand, Lao and Cambodia (lasts 12 months). For Burma or Vietnam you need a type 1968 (lasts 3 years)

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Headgame said:

Quite sure there is not a recognized international motorcycle license. Regardless, what is needed and acceptable to the police (at least here in Phuket) is a valid motorcycle license from your home country. Always try and pay with a Visa card that has vehicle rental insurance coverage. Does the renter have insurance? IMHO, very unlikely. And yes, definitely take your own pics of the bike before heading out. And I mean, lots of pics.

Yes there is, as I had one when I first came to Thailand. But the license is not for the police, it's for the insurance co.as  they are very  strict. One time I was driving my car many years ago I got stopped by the police and didn't have my license with me so I showed them my Medicare card and that was acceptable to them. I just love it here.

37 minutes ago, vandeventer said:

Yes there is, as I had one when I first came to Thailand. But the license is not for the police, it's for the insurance co.as  they are very  strict. One time I was driving my car many years ago I got stopped by the police and didn't have my license with me so I showed them my Medicare card and that was acceptable to them. I just love it here.

No, there is no such thing as an international motorcycle license as explained a few posts earlier. The word driving license has a very specific meaning. Some countries accept licenses issued by other contracting countries and some accept them in combination with an IDP.  Thailand accepts IDPs as they signed the 1949 Geneva Convention on Road Traffic. See this link: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/International_Driving_Permit

For the Rental itself - they will just need a deposit and a copy of your passport. 

IF you enter visa exempt or with a tourist visa you can ride legally on your Motorcycle Licence from your home country *(if the licence is in English), for up to 90 days, that said, if Stopped BiB may ask to see an accompanying International Driving Permit (also for up to 90 days). 

However, if you are on a Non-Immigrant Visa you are considered to be on a resident visa. Legally you need to get a Thai Motorcycle licence. 

The regulations above are often debated, but thats as I understand them.

Realistically - the best thing to do as soon as you get here is to get a Thai Motorcycle licence - it just easies the hassle if the BiB stop you, it shows you are less likely to be a gullible tourist. 

8 minutes ago, Gottfrid said:

You just don´t get it, do you? What I am saying is not that he should have or not have a license because he is a renter or an owner. You have a motorbike license when you drive a motorbike. You need for as a protection if you have an accident. It´s responsibility to other people in traffic. It´s not about the fine, or that you just think it´s ok.

It´s not mai pen rai to not have a license if you are driving a motorbike, or car, or a truck. Maybe you do not think we need licensed and certified pilots either, as long as the guy knows how to fly a plane, right.

Why are you even bothering to post inaccurate and false information on a forum that is supposed to help people just because you have an opinion. Your opinion is not the law, and the law states that you need to have a license to drive a motorbike. Simple as that!

See the source image