Motorcycle license

Zyte

4 hours ago, Gottfrid said:

Ok, do you mean he will rent it and just let it stay on the road like a babe magnet? You do know there is no different is he is going to ride it. There is not one law that says tourists can drive rented bike with no license, bur the ones that own a bike must have.

I sincerely hope I helped you to sort it out now.
(Just to let you know, In my opinion your statement was even more baffling.)

Edited by ericthai
none
  • Confused 1

15 hours ago, mrfill said:

Also, make sure you get the correct IDP. There are 3 types 1926, 1949 and 1968.

You need a type 1949 for Thailand, Lao and Cambodia (lasts 12 months). For Burma or Vietnam you need a type 1968 (lasts 3 years)

I think you will find the 1968 treaty has since been ratified a couple of years ago and is accepted in Thailand. There is also a broad statement in the 1968 treaty that makes it retroactive with the 1949 treaty.

On 9/27/2021 at 4:24 AM, Swiss1960 said:

NO insurance will pay a cent - so better have some millions of cash ready to pay for the hospital and for repatriation. 

Absolutely driving without a valid licence is driving without insurance, and don't forget any damage you may cause to cars/property. I had a friend once, had to sell his boat, bar and leave Thailand, he thought his travel insurance would pay the hospital nah. 

Oh and his pillion died. 

On 9/27/2021 at 4:58 AM, Damrongsak said:

If/when I get back I'm all set.  I'd like to see the look on a cop's face if I were to get stopped.  My motorbike license is a big, green paper thing I got about 44 years ago.  Valid for life (I paid a wee bit extra).

If it's a UK licence like the one I got 50 years ago, you'll find it's not for life. It must be renewed at age 70yrs.

On 9/26/2021 at 9:45 PM, HeijoshinCool said:

Never a problem renting a scooter if you are a tourist. Just give a copy of your passport (not the passport itself). You could also get a 90 day intl' license at AAA for cheap.

If you are on a long-stay visa, technically you are required to have a Thai motorcycle license......

But lots don't, including me, which does tend to irritate and baffle the virtue signalers.

A lot of you AN members won't agree with this, but I think that if you have a full driving licence, (I am referring to any country) you should be also covered for riding smaller motorbikes say up to 250cc, imagine telling anyone who is licenced to drive heavy trucks and buses that he/she is not good enough to ride a motorbike.

6 minutes ago, possum1931 said:

A lot of you AN members won't agree with this, but I think that if you have a full driving licence, (I am referring to any country) you should be also covered for riding smaller motorbikes say up to 250cc, imagine telling anyone who is licenced to drive heavy trucks and buses that he/she is not good enough to ride a motorbike.

Well, they are two totally different animals, but I do believe Darwin has a purpose that is worthy of our facilitation.

• Haha 2

On 9/27/2021 at 4:10 AM, eisfeld said:

Plenty of tourists get fined in Phuket for driving without license.

There is no such thing as an international license. There's an IDP (International Driving Permit) which is a translation of your home country license and itself is usually valid either one or three years but that does not override local regulations which might have shorter timeframes. AAA is specific to Americans I think.

OP did not mention where he is from or if he has a motorcycle license from his home country. If he does have one, then I'd recommend obtaining an IDP for the peace of mind.

Not a virtue signaler but yea, baffles me also why a long stayer wouldn't get a local license given how incredibly easy and cheap it is. Guess it's against some people's nature to do things properly?

"how incredibly easy and cheap it is." when I first got my motorbike licence, there were 21 people sitting the test that day, and only 7 people passed, and yes, I was one.

52 minutes ago, possum1931 said:

Not Canada

• Confused 1

7 hours ago, possum1931 said:

"how incredibly easy and cheap it is." when I first got my motorbike licence, there were 21 people sitting the test that day, and only 7 people passed, and yes, I was one.

Yea because there used to be next to zero education. People just showed up and did a test. It improved a bit the past years but plenty left to improve. Still, compared to most developed countries the speed, cost and ease is phenomenal. And I'm comparing to those countries because on TV... eh sorry AseanNow most readers/posters will be from a developed country where it costs hundreds/thousands of dollars, takes weeks/months and has a very comprehensive set of questions to answer.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, possum1931 said:

I see that you are confused with my first answer.

I will try to explain further ...

In Canada, no matter which driving license class you have, a motorcycle is covered by a separate class.

I have a Class One - Tractor trailers or as the UK says HGV - which allows me to drive any vehicle in a lower class EXCEPT motorcycles, which is a separate license class not included in ANY other class

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Red Forever said:

If it's a UK licence like the one I got 50 years ago, you'll find it's not for life. It must be renewed at age 70yrs.

Apparently there was a poll last year about requiring a physical test for aged drivers with lifetime licenses.  Don't know if anything has happened.

I don't recall having to take a test or anything when I got my license.  My co-workers (Land Development Dept.) did the paperwork. 

Edited by Damrongsak

17 minutes ago, sead said:

No, you dont need a license to rent only to drive it if they cath you. But if dont then your insurance wont cover you nor your bike incase of an accident. 

Why do people like you say things like that it's not true.

If your going to ride a hire bike make sure it has a up to date road disc and CTPL.

Sorry for asking something out of topic. I am on tourist visa and will be staying in Chiang Mai for a month before moving off to somewhere else. Figured that I should get a motorbike license while I am here. Will I be able to get the cert of residency (needed for applying motorbike license) if I am staying at a hotel?

44 minutes ago, DHut said:

Sorry for asking something out of topic. I am on tourist visa and will be staying in Chiang Mai for a month before moving off to somewhere else. Figured that I should get a motorbike license while I am here. Will I be able to get the cert of residency (needed for applying motorbike license) if I am staying at a hotel?

Don't think you can get a Thai DL on a tourist visa.

Uk people with full motorcycle licence category on their UK DL can use that to ride in Thailand. 

14 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

You can get a Thai driving license on any kind of visa. Even on visa exempt entry. I did that. The only tricky part can be to get the residence letter from Immigration but shouldn't be impossible. The only thing they wont give you on a tourist visa is a 5 year license on renewal. You will get always again a 2 year temporary one.

Edited by eisfeld
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, eisfeld said:

You can get a Thai driving license on any kind of visa. Even on visa exempt entry. I did that. The only tricky part can be to get the residence letter from Immigration but shouldn't be impossible. The only thing they wont give you on a tourist visa is a 5 year license on renewal. You will get always again a 2 year temporary one.

Thanks I guess things have change over the years I couldn't get the 2 Thai DL's where I live 16 years ago on a Tourist visa.

That said I never applied for DL's on a tourists visa I used my UK DL.

21 hours ago, eisfeld said:

Can I get the proof of residence if I am staying at a hotel or airbnb?

22 hours ago, papa al said:
22 hours ago, Kwasaki said:

did it before.

CNX

Other issues prevent obtaining a Driving licence on a Tourist Visa (or Visa exempt). 

Proof of Address / Affirmation of Address is required - Some Embassies (i.e. British Embassy) will not issue an Affirmation of Residence letter unless the applicant is holding a Non-Immigrant or resident Visa. The do not issue the Affirmation of Residence letter to those who entered Thailand under a Tourist Visas or Visa Exempt.

‘Most’ Immigration Offices will only issue a Proof of Address letter if the applicant has submitted a 90 day report, thus someone on a Tourist Visa / or visa exempt has not stayed in country longer than 90 days, although Covid extensions may have altered that. 

Additionally, there have been reports that Immigration at Chiang Mai will issue a letter of Residence even if the applicant has not been in country 90 days (mileage varies - they will not at Chaeng Wattana / Impact in Bangkok). 

Thus: papa al.... the over simplified response of ‘did it before’  doesn’t quite capture the idiosyncrasies of varying regulations held to different requirements of different Embassies, Immigrations offices and DLT offices. 

• Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, DHut said:

Can I get the proof of residence if I am staying at a hotel or airbnb?

That may depend where you are more than anything else. 

IF you are in Bangkok and you have submitted a 90 days report to immigration you can obtain a Proof of Residence letter. 

IF you are in Chiang Mai (for example) you may be able to  obtain a Proof of Residence letter from Immigrant without having had submitted a 90 day report. 

This may also vary depending on the type of visa you are on. 

IF you provide more specific details of your location / Visa / whether you have submitted a 90 day report you may get a more accurate answer with fewer ifs. 

16 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

That may depend where you are more than anything else. 

IF you are in Bangkok and you have submitted a 90 days report to immigration you can obtain a Proof of Residence letter. 

IF you are in Chiang Mai (for example) you may be able to  obtain a Proof of Residence letter from Immigrant without having had submitted a 90 day report. 

This may also vary depending on the type of visa you are on. 

IF you provide more specific details of your location / Visa / whether you have submitted a 90 day report you may get a more accurate answer with fewer ifs. 

Sorry for not providing enough details, it's more complication than I thought ???? I am on Tourist Visa and will be staying in Chiang Mai for 30 days. Planning to take the motorbike driving license in Chiang Mai right after my sandbox in Phuket. 

Thank you Sir.

15 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Thus: papa al.... the over simplified response of ‘did it before’  doesn’t quite capture the idiosyncrasies of varying regulations held to different requirements of different Embassies, Immigrations offices and DLT offices. 

22 hours ago, papa al said:

did it before.

CNX

On visa exempt, hotel address good for Res Cert.

Dealer debt with "DLT"

Sorry for shortcomings..

Richard: please elucidate those idiocyracies.