Great news: Less quarantine at entry but what about Covid Insurance?

UTH001

I am pleased that there has just been an announcement to reduce hotel quarantine to 7 days for fully vaccinated travelers entering Thailand. But what about the compulsory Covid insurance? It's all fine for real tourist to pay for say 4 weeks insurance, but what about Non-O visa holders? My visa renewal is in October each year, and if I decide to travel overseas in say November, I am stuck with having to pay for 12 months Covid insurance, which is completely ridiculous (and costly at Bt. 23,000!). Is anyone aware of any changes to this rule?

1 hour ago, internationalism said:

There is also a rumour, that from 1st november no quarantine in 8 provinces, including bkk 

So how would that work If you wanted to go to another province? You would have to spend a certain time in one of the 8 quarantine free provinces which then would actually be a quarantine stay.

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

I have health insurance with Aetna (sponsors of this sub forum), Aetna cover COVID illness to the value of the policy.

I also have insurance from yet another company and it does covid, but below required $100k. It was only below 20k, including added outpatient and extended emergency.

The new policy, covering full covid, would set me back 61k  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, placeholder said:

But the insurance has to last as long as your visa does. So if you're in thailand with a retirement visa and it expires sep 22, 2022, your covid insurance is going to have to cover that entire length of time.

Which of course makes no sense whatsoever, as it is fairly unlikely that I develop Covid19 after possibly having caught it overseas three months after arriving in the country...

Edited by UTH001
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, placeholder said:

But the insurance has to last as long as your visa does. So if you're in thailand with a retirement visa and it expires sep 22, 2022, your covid insurance is going to have to cover that entire length of time.

My understanding is that the insurance is only required for 90 days (Non-O reporting period). 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Heng said:

Quarantine reduction starting when?   October 1?   Because the MFA, COE process still has the old info. 

Hope my hotel gets the memo.  ????

Screenshot_20210928-093325_Chrome.jpg

My friend applied a few days ago and got rejected as his ASQ booking waas for 14 days, he was told to re-book for 7 days, so it all looks good.

Great news for those of us who travel in and out a lot.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, surfinglife said:

My understanding is that the insurance is only required for 90 days (Non-O reporting period). 

I went on the Thaivisa visa etc forum and that's what Ubonjoe said. Ubonoe may be the world's leading expert on Thailand's visa rules. Sheryl confirmed it. And then a very knowledgeable  person who is not a member of the forum confirmed it as well. I hope they're wrong. But i would double check it. You might want to go to that forum or contact Ubonjoe. True or false, I'm sure he would appreciate the update.

Edited by placeholder
  • Like 1

On 9/27/2021 at 6:58 AM, stubuzz said:

So how would that work If you wanted to go to another province? You would have to spend a certain time in one of the 8 quarantine free provinces which then would actually be a quarantine stay.

Not exactly,  I just made a trip from Pattaya to up north for a family funeral I got a partial test a swap up the nose for 590 baht at some authorized clinic took 15 minutes ???? negative I got the stamp paper off that was enough to allow me to travel when I got to the destination a day later some lady came asked for our papers.

On 9/27/2021 at 7:04 PM, internationalism said:

this insurance is 15k per year. They don't have shorter

https://www.tuneprotect.co.th/en/portal/coronavirus-covid-19-insurance

They should drop COE and lower insurance to a realistic max $10k, premium would drop drastically. 

Still, sandbox is much cheaper, with hotels from 8k for 2 weeks. Possibly sandbox will be also shortened.

There is also a rumour, that from 1st november no quarantine in 8 provinces, including bkk 

Your last sentence, just suppose that if, and it is a big if, that happens, I think this insurance scam will continue, and as time goes on and the pandemic cases go down, there will be less and less people having to claim while the insurance companies profits will increase and the brown envelopes to the unelected PM will continue.

I could be wrong here, but this is just the way I see it.

• Like 2

On 9/28/2021 at 6:55 AM, placeholder said:

Exactly! What a scam, and yet there is still the very odd posters, probably  ex insurance company employee's, who think that insurance companies treat us fairly.

Edited by possum1931
  • Haha 1

19 hours ago, HashBrownHarry said:

My friend applied a few days ago and got rejected as his ASQ booking waas for 14 days, he was told to re-book for 7 days, so it all looks good.

Great news for those of us who travel in and out a lot.

I am finishing my last few days of 14-day quarantine. Beware if you arrive before Oct 1. The hotel told me that I cannot be let out of quarantine on Oct 1 because I was booked on the 14-day program. 7-day quarantine applies only to those who will arrive in October.

• Haha 1

16 hours ago, placeholder said:

I went on the Thaivisa visa etc forum and that's what Ubonjoe said. Ubonoe may be the world's leading expert on Thailand's visa rules. Sheryl confirmed it. And then a very knowledgeable  person who is not a member of the forum confirmed it as well. I hope they're wrong. But i would double check it. You might want to go to that forum or contact Ubonjoe. True or false, I'm sure he would appreciate the update.

Ubonjoe is definitely the Tops for visa information....Yes..Getting my no 2 Jab tomorrow,Non "O"  extension in 2 weeks time and need to get back to UK to sort out a few things but will wait till Nov /Dec and see what happens. Dont mind self Isolation in Uk but not paying 2,500 quid for some poxy hotel..Would confirm that my understanding on CoE as discussed Insurance is for 90 x days...roll on November...Might be snowing...makes a change..

5 hours ago, possum1931 said:

Exactly! What a scam, and yet there is still the very odd posters, probably  ex insurance company employee's, who think that insurance companies treat us fairly.

I have a covid and In-out coverage for 180 days with a NON-O visa for THB 18500. I will stay 140 days. COE approved. LUMA insurance.

Just a note for travelers heading to Thailand from UK about their insurance.  NOTE this is only concerning your general health/travel insurance policies.  It is my understanding that any existing policies become invalid if the country you are visiting goes on the FCO 'do not travel' list such as Thailand is at the moment.  UK insurance companies wont issue new policies for visits to Thailand either at the moment.  If you have a worldwide coverage policy and visit Thailand the policy wont be valid for your time there.  This might not be 100% correct but might be worth checking any policies that you rely upon.

4 hours ago, SteveMdmt said:

Just a note for travelers heading to Thailand from UK about their insurance.  NOTE this is only concerning your general health/travel insurance policies.  It is my understanding that any existing policies become invalid if the country you are visiting goes on the FCO 'do not travel' list such as Thailand is at the moment.  UK insurance companies wont issue new policies for visits to Thailand either at the moment.  If you have a worldwide coverage policy and visit Thailand the policy wont be valid for your time there.  This might not be 100% correct but might be worth checking any policies that you rely upon.

Well, even if the insurance companies will cover the 3,500,000 minimum for covid treatment, unless their policy explicitly stipulates that covid-19 is covered, it won't satisfy Thai immigration authorities.

On 9/29/2021 at 12:06 PM, Rinrada said:

Ubonjoe is definitely the Tops for visa information....Yes..Getting my no 2 Jab tomorrow,Non "O"  extension in 2 weeks time and need to get back to UK to sort out a few things but will wait till Nov /Dec and see what happens. Dont mind self Isolation in Uk but not paying 2,500 quid for some poxy hotel..Would confirm that my understanding on CoE as discussed Insurance is for 90 x days...roll on November...Might be snowing...makes a change..

Follow up...Second jab went well..at the Prom .Chiang Mai  this morning both Khun Wife ( has a UK PP) and I have had our Pfizer No 2...Many thanks to the Wonderful Staff.. Advised that maybe only 100 yellow books left for C19.PP registration so we headed down to MKP..and registered so next week..should have the Yellow Freedom Book..Will wait and see if Siam gets off the red list ...until them ..another just another avex nam keng..beer Chang..chai...