Mayor explains why Pattaya keeps on flooding

webfact

3 hours ago, webfact said:

Also causing trouble to his plans was the building of the high speed three airport rail link (Don Muang - Suvarnabhumi - U-Tapao).

Aspects of this projects construction had interferred with drainage.

Really........Where exactly in Pattaya?

3 hours ago, steven100 said:

Get 10 x 30TKomatsu's in and 300 labourers and 30kms of 2ft Humes conc pipes in and it'll be fixed in 6 months forever. 

It's not rocket science ....   just action and do it.

oh wait !    no budget ....     lol

you right, they spent all money on buying sand for Jomtien beach

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, RichardColeman said:

gonna call that statement bull. I remember 20 years ago wading through thigh high water levels to get on a songtel on the roads in central Pattaya

I remember getting trapped in town numerous times where I couldn't get the bike out for  many hours.

3 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

Other side of Sukhumvit actually..... bit of a mess at Soi Siam CC and Railway line bypass rd.

Railway Road has had ongoing problems long before they agreed the high speed rail link and not exactly close to the centre - especially SSCC. I don't remember SSCC being a big problem until they had the major works on it about 6/7 years ago but I could be wrong.

5 minutes ago, topt said:

I don't remember SSCC being a big problem until they had the major works on it about 6/7 years ago but I could be wrong.

Big hole on SSCC at that junction 8-9 days ago, causing so much aggravation I came up Sukhumvit instead from the North more recently. 

3 hours ago, IvorBiggun2 said:

Flooding is caused by bad water management. The Dutch manage it very well.

I'm not knocking the Dutch or their obvious expertise in water management but isn't their success primarily based on keeping the Noordzee out and reclaiming land from it? AFAIK, it's not sea water that's backing up on Soi Bongkot, Jomtien second road or Sunkhumvit @ Tai.

• Like 1

Yesterday Pattaya's strongarm mayor - from a family used to getting its own way - gave his excuses and outlined the way forward.

Sontaya Kunplome said that it was caused by rain.

4 hours ago, webfact said:

In addition many areas that are low lying had flooded despite measures to prevent this. That went back years, he suggested without saying "well before I arrived".

Must be hard when you can't use the usual politician's excuse and blame the previous administration without besmirching your own family. So it is the rain's fault, along with any building project permitted by any administration in recent decades.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, webfact said:

Yesterday Pattaya's strongarm mayor - from a family used to getting its own way -

I remember a while back that somebody in one of the main UK newspapers had been covering a NATO exercise in one of the Baltic countries. The German military had been involved and they had not distinguished themselves, quite the opposite in fact. After it was over, he’d met with a senior German politician and pointed out that the German troops and their equipment were dysfunctional, and asked him what they planned on doing to improve matters? The reply was that the German army was exactly the way that the government wanted it to be, and it would stay that way.

I think the mayor’s reply should be seen in a similar way (though with a different context, obviously). He’s strong enough to fix the flooding if he wanted to, but it actually suits him quite well this way, and so this way it will stay.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Humes is a firm that makes concrete products.

Need to be way bigger than 2 feet though. Try 8 foot, or even 12 foot, and that's just for the smaller ones. Main drains need to be canals.

Ok. Was thinking they must be some special sort of pipe.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Banana7 said:

We know why Pattaya keeps flooding! It's because the sewer pipes are too few, too small, and aren't sloped downhill and the pumps are too small. The existing pipes are 3/4 full of water even before it starts raining!

Hire professional civil engineers who can calculate storm water accumulation and runoff, understand that water runs downhill and have many years of successful experience in building adequate sewers. Give the engineers adequate funds to use quality materials and complete the project quickly - like 24 hours a day 7 days a week construction permission and mandate the project be completed in 12 months. Lots of times we see lots of digging but only 4 people on job with one backhoe, and many days of no one on the job.  Proper planning, organization and execution can get the job done quickly - it doesn't take decades.

Thank you as this problem could have been fixed years ago first time not repeated expensive attempts but would require Falangs and loss of face to Thais and of course the end of the gravy train

Although there has been considerable rain this year, it was not nearly as heavy as last year, where the rains stated much earlier in the year. Just lame excuses, from a lame mayor, who got the job, who knows how? No question he is in way over his head. And it is not just the water. 

1 hour ago, lesmac said:

Thank you as this problem could have been fixed years ago first time not repeated expensive attempts but would require Falangs and loss of face to Thais and of course the end of the gravy train

Like Thai Airways afew years ago. Farang got them back into the Black then said Bye-Bye to him. Now TA are in deep do-do again.

Flooding is caused by accumulation of water due to unnatural diversion of natural water flow. Bad hydro engineering requires radical solutions. Levy banks and artificial structures to divert water away from habitated areas. I think this is a question of ฿ and perseverance.