Mayor explains why Pattaya keeps on flooding

webfact

9 minutes ago, Wullie Mercer said:

Not a mention of all the choked drains that already exist. Never been cleaned since the day they were installed. Soi Bakau is a prime example along with Soi Dianna, massive drainage worked great for about 2-3 years then !!!!

You claim there has been a period when Soi Diana and Buakhao never flooded? My recollection is it did and always has done. Even the major work at R-Con corner did not seem to work. 

20 hours ago, Geoffggi said:

He is partially correct, when I first came to live in Pattaya (some considerable time ago) Soi Bongkot did not flood at all, it was only when a certain hotel on Soi Honey plus other road works interfered with the drainage system that things started to go wrong and Soi Bongkot started flooding. Now it is a total mess, they continue to divert the natural flow of water without due consideration for what may go wr

Perhaps there should be a government organisation to control development ...... oh wait

• Haha 1

If you travel Eastbound from Pattaya beach, chosing as an example  Pattaya Klang, once you reach Foodland the roads start to go  up hill from there until you reach the top of Soi Kow noi or Soi Kow talo, when it rains  gravity take the rain down those hills  into Pattaya City and  with most of the drain covers blocked by locals Garbage it seems obvious that floods will occur because of no escape for the rain water... build more drains ?  then more Garbage  will cover them..i have lived in East Pattaya for 22 years  i've seen the <deleted> blocking ALL  the drains

Make the garbage workers do their job... ...Hire road sweepers

It's common for shops and food cart vendors to sweep the dirt, sand, trash and dump food scraps, oil, filthy dish water into the nearest open drain.  No wonder there's drainage problems.  

5 minutes ago, bbko said:

It's common for shops and food cart vendors to sweep the dirt, sand, trash and dump food scraps, oil, filthy dish water into the nearest open drain.  No wonder there's drainage problems.  

Yes inland, where there is no sea to throw it in. I expect lots of old cooking oils and grease are poured straight into drains. Builders at my place used my grey water drains to dispose of leftover cement and wash their bowls and buckets into!

17 hours ago, jacko45k said:

You claim there has been a period when Soi Diana and Buakhao never flooded? My recollection is it did and always has done. Even the major work at R-Con corner did not seem to work. 

I never saw Buakhao flood while I lived just off of it, but the sois that led down to it did, because the road was lower than Buahao where it joined. The soi next to me was flooded deep enough to cover m'bike exhaust pipes. All gone an hour after the rain stopped.

17 hours ago, Kerryd said:

Look how long it took them to do that one project on Soi Siam Country Club ! In most "Western" countries, that whole thing would have been done and dusted in a month (or less), with crews working 24/7 and doing quality work.
Instead it took what, 2+ years (and lots of negative press) before they finally got it done.

Depends on who is in charge of the budget, IMO. The big projects with international partners like the expressways and Skytrain etc get done reasonably fast. One should consider who is in charge of the budget in Pattaya.

As for in "most Western countries", I know a city in a certain western country where a project that should have been completed in a year is into it's third year, causing massive traffic disruption for all that time.

4 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

I never saw Buakhao flood while I lived just off of it, but the sois that led down to it did, because the road was lower than Buahao where it joined. The soi next to me was flooded deep enough to cover m'bike exhaust pipes. All gone an hour after the rain stopped.

I certainly remember riding through water on Buakhao, going between Hellfire corner and Soi Honey.... I recall turning down soi Honey, (as it looked bad ahead), in the hope of getting to higher ground around 2nd Rd. Might be useful if Pattaya issued a map of low-lying areas! Touch wood I have never flooded my engine yet, but a few pairs of good footwear have been spoiled.

14 hours ago, KarenBravo said:

One of the problems that these beach towns have, is the tides.

At high tide no water drains into the sea and it just keeps building up in the town, especially if it's still raining.

That is what I have been saying!  Bravo, everything drains into the sea new pipes are just larger that hold the water underground so the public thinks things are working just fine but when you get heavy rain which is common and there is high tide the water can't drain fast enough so what happens when the glass is already full and one tries to put more water in it " overflows "  you don't need to go to school to figure it out.  Continue down the same road is to continue kicking the can down the road but of course here in Pattaya that means the leaders continue to benefit for years and for that fact nothing will ever change.

Maybe a great idea when you open up Pattaya instead of moving on?  how about visit Raging water Pattaya water festival floating Songthaws and motorbike turn into Jetski for transportation the economy keeps running rain or shine?????

There is plenty of land get some outside help with some real educated engineers put a master plan in place by building a number of reservoirs where the rain water can be pumped, reserved and treated one can't continue to dump 90% of the rain water into the ocean.

On 9/28/2021 at 4:55 PM, bobandyson said:

Like Thai Airways afew years ago. Farang got them back into the Black then said Bye-Bye to him. Now TA are in deep do-do again.

They have never been in the black since the turn of the century iirc. 

They are currently in $14 billion+ worth of debt.

2 hours ago, Mr Meeseeks said:

They have never been in the black since the turn of the century iirc. 

They are currently in $14 billion+ worth of debt.

I'll be sorry if they go out of business, as Thai was the only airline I'd fly that did Bkk Auckland direct. Hated stopping off in Oz and having to get off the plane, go through security etc.