Pattaya: If only they'd listened to the Japanese it might not be in this mess!

webfact

12 hours ago, jacko45k said:

Seems to work in Bali.... not too expensive there. 

yes..but pre covid pattaya was getting about 35 million tourists per year and bali was about 6.5 million....not sure how they define tourists as maybe a lot of pattaya could be day trippers from bangkok?

31 minutes ago, pomchop said:

yes..but pre covid pattaya was getting about 35 million tourists per year and bali was about 6.5 million....not sure how they define tourists as maybe a lot of pattaya could be day trippers from bangkok?

I don't think Pattaya was getting 35 million tourists a year. pre-covid.   Various figures are bandied about.  The mayor says Pattaya had 15 million visitors in 2019.  Mastercard says around 9 million plus--that might be international visitors.  One other source I can't remember said 19 million.  I think the 15 million and 19 million estimates would be both international and domestic visitors.  

1 hour ago, newnative said:

I don't think Pattaya was getting 35 million tourists a year. pre-covid.   Various figures are bandied about.  The mayor says Pattaya had 15 million visitors in 2019.  Mastercard says around 9 million plus--that might be international visitors.  One other source I can't remember said 19 million.  I think the 15 million and 19 million estimates would be both international and domestic visitors.  

I agree no way for 35 million....I looked at wrong stats for which i apologize as don't want to spread misinformation...not sure of real number but i would guess less than 10 million but again not sure if they somehow estimate day trippers from bangkok etc...

On 9/29/2021 at 1:19 AM, pomchop said:

Good Luck not allowing high rises.  How many hotel rooms could you have and what would a room cost?  

Back in the 90s Patong had only low rise hotels and they didn't cost too much. Pattaya had loads of low rise hotels and they didn't cost too much.

How many people is too many? IMO Pattaya had crossed that line sometime this century, and it made the place much less appealing, IMO.

5 hours ago, Mentors65 said:

No high rise buildings.

This was also the idea in Hua Hin.

Then, around 1994, a person with highest influence gave green light to build the Melia hotel. (today Hilton.)

Then, the charme of Hua Hin came to an end quickly and i left.

Indeed. That revolting high rise Hilton destroyed the ambience of the town. By all means build it behind the town where it doesn't stick out like an enormous carbuncle, but where it is is an affront to any that used to like Hua Hin, IMO.

It sounds like they wanted a combination of Noosa Heads with mostly low rise accommodation with the attractions of the Gold Coast without the high rise. Putting aside the lack of accommodation or smaller numbers of tourists.

What would attract tourists to Pattaya over  places like Queensland, a much safer place where police will take you seriously without an "incentive" where their are good consumer laws that give tourists protection, top quality hygenic food, medical facilities are first class, a sewerage system that works, drinkable tap water and you can actually drive safely on first class roads and enjoy a good bottle of wine for around 7 USD and watch a beautiful sunset over an unpolluted ocean. With pristine tropical islands that have limited development if that is your thing.

That description would fit many other places around the world similarly competing for the tourist dollar.

For better or for worse, Pattayas' attraction is its' seedy side. Like a plump woman past her prime with fish net stockings a short skirt and too much make up covering the cracks. That feeling of being free of the nanny state that pervades much of the west (for good or bad) where you can enjoy yourself in relative pseudo anonymity. Where men past their prime can pretend they are not and a smile and a cheaky word to a young woman will not illicit a look of disgust and attract attention from the local police. Where young women seek them out as if they are an aging Brad Pitt and their secret dreams are fullfilled, comfortable in the knowledge the long journey home will wash away all their sins and none at home will be the wiser.  For others that seediness is an attraction in itself where one can find a virtual cornucopia of bars to sit, drink and watch the myriads of interesting personalities that flock to and inhabit Pattaya. For families and others, the Gold Coast awaits.

10 hours ago, Hugh Cow said:

It sounds like they wanted a combination of Noosa Heads with mostly low rise accommodation with the attractions of the Gold Coast without the high rise. Putting aside the lack of accommodation or smaller numbers of tourists.

What would attract tourists to Pattaya over  places like Queensland, a much safer place where police will take you seriously without an "incentive" where their are good consumer laws that give tourists protection, top quality hygenic food, medical facilities are first class, a sewerage system that works, drinkable tap water and you can actually drive safely on first class roads and enjoy a good bottle of wine for around 7 USD and watch a beautiful sunset over an unpolluted ocean. With pristine tropical islands that have limited development if that is your thing.

That description would fit many other places around the world similarly competing for the tourist dollar.

For better or for worse, Pattayas' attraction is its' seedy side. Like a plump woman past her prime with fish net stockings a short skirt and too much make up covering the cracks. That feeling of being free of the nanny state that pervades much of the west (for good or bad) where you can enjoy yourself in relative pseudo anonymity. Where men past their prime can pretend they are not and a smile and a cheaky word to a young woman will not illicit a look of disgust and attract attention from the local police. Where young women seek them out as if they are an aging Brad Pitt and their secret dreams are fullfilled, comfortable in the knowledge the long journey home will wash away all their sins and none at home will be the wiser.  For others that seediness is an attraction in itself where one can find a virtual cornucopia of bars to sit, drink and watch the myriads of interesting personalities that flock to and inhabit Pattaya. For families and others, the Gold Coast awaits.

I can truthfully say that in my entire life I never had the slightest interest in the Gold Coast, despite all the "good points" you mention. Pattaya was the bees knees for me though.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 9/30/2021 at 5:29 PM, thaibeachlovers said:

I can truthfully say that in my entire life I never had the slightest interest in the Gold Coast, despite all the "good points" you mention. Pattaya was the bees knees for me though.

The point is there are better places to go if you are just looking for nice weather, beautiful beaches and safe, family friendly entertainment on holiday. North Queensland islands as holiday resorts are far superior to Phuket from commercial type resorts on Hamilton island to more eco friendly like lizard island and everything in between. I live in between the Gold Coast and sunshine coast and although familiar with both rarely go to either these days (maybe familiarity breeds contempt) but there are millions of local and interstate visitors (in a normal year) that would obviously disagree. BTW I dont work for QLD tourist board lol, and I love Pattaya.

• Like 1

On 9/29/2021 at 7:13 AM, 3NUMBAS said:

patters   has peaked and wont see big numbers again ,the  bubbles burst

The price of condos isn't exactly collapsing. Not at all really. Even during covid.

People said it was over in 2008. It goes in cycles. 2017 was a record

Edited by Harsh Jones
  • Like 2

Thai people don't take advice or listen to other peple.. They know everything by themselves, hve their own solutions. Thailand is the center of the Universe and even if friends  for many decades, from Japan have idea's why should they do anything with it... Only when it goes  wrong it the others to blame

• Like 1

On 9/28/2021 at 12:13 PM, guzzi850m2 said:

Part of the charm of living here is the chaos.

If no chaos it's getting boring pretty quickly, might as well move home then.

Guzzi850m2. Only just found your comment. That would be the Le Mans eh?

Superb stuff.

I had 2 Kawi 750's; GT & GPZ back old days.

Nothing came near a Le Mans, even a Triumph Trident (close)????.

Yes, agreed - the chaos can be quite calming.

• Like 1

On 10/29/2021 at 10:10 AM, Hugh Cow said:

The point is there are better places to go if you are just looking for nice weather, beautiful beaches and safe, family friendly entertainment on holiday. North Queensland islands as holiday resorts are far superior to Phuket from commercial type resorts on Hamilton island to more eco friendly like lizard island and everything in between. I live in between the Gold Coast and sunshine coast and although familiar with both rarely go to either these days (maybe familiarity breeds contempt) but there are millions of local and interstate visitors (in a normal year) that would obviously disagree. BTW I dont work for QLD tourist board lol, and I love Pattaya.

If I was looking for nice weather, beautiful beaches and safe, family friendly entertainment on holiday, the last place I'd go would be Pattaya. N E Phangan was good for that though not much "entertainment" provided, other than what one makes for oneself, though it was the lack of organised anything that made them so appealing to me.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

If I was looking for nice weather,

Blxxdy right, what a thunderstorm we had this afternoon. Just got home ahead of it but the queue into Pattaya at the motorway and on Klang must have made  a mistake coming!

On 10/29/2021 at 5:39 AM, Harsh Jones said:

The price of condos isn't exactly collapsing. Not at all really. Even during covid.

People said it was over in 2008. It goes in cycles. 2017 was a record

They are not exactly selling though, are they?   Yet, they keep building more and more.  

Edited by Leaver

On 11/1/2021 at 7:27 AM, thaibeachlovers said:

Perhaps they know something we don't.

Or, perhaps it's a bad investment, or perhaps they are stupid.  

Time will tell, but hard to judge a housing market when there is no town planning, and it's a free for all to build, build, build.

How can the market rise when hundreds of new condo's come onto the market each month?   

• 1 month later...
On 10/31/2021 at 6:23 AM, Leaver said:

They are not exactly selling though, are they?   Yet, they keep building more and more.  

I agree. Its a dysfunctional market. Supply should be overwhelming demand and prices should come down. But prices just stay elevated and less sells. And because prices are elevated, developers can borrow against these prices and build even more.

On 11/4/2021 at 12:02 AM, Leaver said:

Or, perhaps it's a bad investment, or perhaps they are stupid.  

Time will tell, but hard to judge a housing market when there is no town planning, and it's a free for all to build, build, build.

How can the market rise when hundreds of new condo's come onto the market each month?   

Because the primary central banks of the world keep pushing money out. There is no business cycle anymore. Japan is a primary central bank in the region. As is China.

17804342-16094485049319746.png

6 hours ago, Harsh Jones said:

I agree. Its a dysfunctional market. Supply should be overwhelming demand and prices should come down. But prices just stay elevated and less sells. And because prices are elevated, developers can borrow against these prices and build even more.

Pattaya's property market is a big white elephant.