Customs wants to know about work laptop

7 hours ago, MRToMRT said:
On 9/29/2021 at 1:41 PM, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

For Customs to come in and start arbitrarily imposing what they think the value ought to be is simply inviting abuse.

But thats how it works, Customs can set their own valuation in just about any country.

Thankfully, the valuation, obviously, need to be reasonable.   It is of no benefit to a Customs officer to over-value an item just for the hell of it.

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

No, I paid the duty and VAT as assessed by the post office.   The call centre confirmed that the rate applied was correct.

Unbelievable. You tell us all how easy it is but you have not actually done it.

• Sad 1

3 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Thankfully, the valuation, obviously, need to be reasonable.   It is of no benefit to a Customs officer to over-value an item just for the hell of it.

There is incentive to claim that something is wrongly classified. All that lovely reward money - it is what they are looking for.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

3 hours ago, mokwit said:
On 9/29/2021 at 2:04 PM, Liverpool Lou said:

So many personal experiences but you can't post just one receipt for those "huge clearance fees" imposed on you when buying items online and having them delivered by a courier!

Give it a rest, you are like a broken record with this.

For you benefit: Many of us throw documentation that is no longer needed away, same with other things. Is you house full to the ceiling with old receipts from Thai Customs and also Foodland and Robinson?

"Give it a rest...".

No, why should I "give it a rest"?    I'm responding to comments to me on the forum; to quote you, why don't you "give it a rest"?

"Many of us throw documentation that is no longer needed away"

Seems that every single complainer of chronic courier gouging, without exception, throws away that documentation.   You'd think that at least one of them would have taken a photo of the receipt considering how many times it allegedly happens to so many different individuals!

"Is you house full to the ceiling with old receipts from Thai Customs and also Foodland and Robinson?"

No, but then I do not have any complaints about those places.   If i did, I would have photos of the receipts confirming the gouging, though.   

Edited by Liverpool Lou
  • Sad 2

7 minutes ago, mokwit said:
15 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

There is incentive to claim that something is wrongly classified. All that lovely reward money - it is what they are looking for.

Really?  What incentive do Customs officers get for over-assessing the value of an item bought online and delivered by DHL, or the like?

19 minutes ago, mokwit said:
27 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

No, I paid the duty and VAT as assessed by the post office.   The call centre confirmed that the rate applied was correct.

Unbelievable. You tell us all how easy it is but you have not actually done it.  

You asked me how it works, I told you.   

What makes you suggest that it may not be easy when you have not actually done it?  Unbelievable.

Edited by Liverpool Lou
  • Sad 1

The 2nd laptop got through customs without incident, and is at "Chon Buri" one day ahead of schedule. It was marked as $700 in value. I have not paid any customs fees on it (yet).

Saturday, October 2, 2021
10:11 AM	CHONBURI TH	
At local FedEx facility

10:07 AM	CHONBURI TH	
At local FedEx facility
Package not due for delivery

My takeaway is that marking the item value over 40,000 THB is what causes huge problems with customs release.

Two questions if anyone knows:

1. I live in Pattaya. Is the Naklua location (below) most likely what they have listed as "Chon Buri" ?

FedEx World Service Center
Bang Lamung District, Chon Buri, Thailand · +66 2 491 2000
Closed ⋅ Opens 10AM Mon

2. Can I pick it up in person if I arrive at 10am Monday with ID and package tracking info?

I ask because, in the US one can select to "Hold for pickup" online. I am not able to sign up for Fedex Delivery Manager online for a Thailand address though.

3 years ago I sent a suitcase to my self in Thailand. The contents mostly clothes. The courier company (DHL) insisted on a payment from Thai Customs of 3700 Baht. Two weeks after I received my Suitcase. I received in the post a receipt for 200 Baht from Thai Customs. The courier companies you pay to send it, are charging again to receive it and blame it on the Thai Customs who are blameless. Apparently it is something courier companies and postal services are doing worldwide to double their profits. At one time I use to receive my parcels without any extra charges. I no longer send anything. All the courier companies are corrupt.

Edited by William C F Pierce
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

57 minutes ago, William C F Pierce said:

3 years ago I sent a suitcase to my self in Thailand. The contents mostly clothes. The courier company (DHL) insisted on a payment from Thai Customs of 3700 Baht. Two weeks after I received my Suitcase. I received in the post a receipt for 200 Baht from Thai Customs. The courier companies you pay to send it, are charging again to receive it and blame it on the Thai Customs who are blameless. Apparently it is something courier companies and postal services are doing worldwide to double their profits. At one time I use to receive my parcels without any extra charges. I no longer send anything. All the courier companies are corrupt.

This was exactly what I suspected was going on many years ago and like you I stopped using couriers. Had some computer parts sent DHL without me knowing - they charged me duty on a duty exempt item but this time had the actual customs receipt so not sure what happened there. Have had to import things recently due to Covid and paid duty of 30% on clothes with Fedex, and no duty with another via UPS. I walk away if they only send via DHL based on past experience with them. ebay Global Shipping Program is another scam - I look at the non refundable fees they charge and its heads they win tails they don't lose at your expense. It is a scam/profit centre for them or Pitney Bowes/DHL. Amazon charges duty on duty exempt items even, but refunds if no duty charged.

I have have been gauged on duty by Thai Customs themselves, but generally they waive duty on small items or charge a semblance of the correct duty. It is more the having to go and pick it up rather than correct duty applied that I object to.

Edited by mokwit

8 hours ago, Hal65 said:

My takeaway is that marking the item value over 40,000 THB is what causes huge problems with customs release.

I think someone posted somewhere that THB 40,0000 is the threshold at which it can't go through postal channels and you have to actually go to Customs to pay duty.

• Like 1

On 9/30/2021 at 2:20 AM, Hal65 said:

Is the declared value ignored then? My company opted to have the first laptop returned and send out another one. It's also coming via Fedex and the declared value this time is $700 (24,000 thb per Google).

I don't mind paying the import tax but what would harm us is if they try to hold it again to do some sort of "private assesment" or some other BS. I need that laptop to come to me without interruption.

The declared value is not ignored. I was referring to packages sent by mail with a declared value of less than 1,500 baht. Unlike the post office, the couriers have no exemption and every package is opened and taxed with the customs clearance delegated to clearance agents.  Often the customs will verify the value by searching for it online to see find the most expensive price you can buy it for and will charge tax based on that plus the cost of freight and insurance.  Declaring at $700 will in the initial instance avoid the need to register in the paperless customs system for things over 40k baht but, if they arbitrarily decide it is worth more than 40k they will insist on registration in paperless customs anyway. 

5 hours ago, mokwit said:

I think someone posted somewhere that THB 40,0000 is the threshold at which it can't go through postal channels and you have to actually go to Customs to pay duty.

No, it is the threshhold to have to register in the paperless customs system.  You can be asked to go to pay at customs for any declared or assessed value. If something coming through the post is assess for tax, you may be asked to pay at the post office.  For more valuable items or things that might be illegal to import, you will be asked to go to the postal customs office in Chaeng Wattana, if in Bangkok.  Couriers usually handle the clearance for you for a fee.   

9 hours ago, William C F Pierce said:

I think it is unlikely that international courier companies are doing this on their own account but that doesn't mean there is no corruption involved. The Customs Dept is one of the most corrupt government agencies. Couriers use clearance agents to do the clearance. So it is possible that there is collusion between the courier staff, the clearance agent and the customs.

Edited by Dogmatix

On 10/3/2021 at 1:18 PM, Dogmatix said:

I think it is unlikely that international courier companies are doing this on their own account

If they are effectively Thai management controlled this is entirely possible - profit centre that doesn't show up on the books. I have always suspected that if not actual owners/management then maybe a clique of employees with a private arrangement with customs agent.

• Like 2

Laptop was delivered today. 2,000 baht fee paid to Fedex driver (and shown on delivery bill) on the $700 declared value.

What I took away was that this meant Fedex also prepaid the customs fee. In the past I heard only DHL did that.

Edited by Hal65
  • Like 1

On 10/3/2021 at 3:30 AM, William C F Pierce said:

DHL is supposed to be good ...... a leading firm...  if this is true Shame on you DHL!!!

On 10/3/2021 at 7:18 AM, Dogmatix said:

I think it is unlikely that international courier companies are doing this on their own account but that doesn't mean there is no corruption involved. The Customs Dept is one of the most corrupt government agencies. Couriers use clearance agents to do the clearance. So it is possible that there is collusion between the courier staff, the clearance agent and the customs.

Unknown to the courier Company The customs sent me an official receipt by post for 200 Baht. Which would have been correct for one electrical item. Customs don't charge duty on clothes in a suitcase.

On 10/4/2021 at 1:34 PM, mokwit said:

If they are effectively Thai management controlled this is entirely possible - profit centre that doesn't show up on the books. I have always suspected that if not actual owners/management then maybe a clique of employees with a private arrangement with customs agent.

I like car rental companies the business model is to use franchisees.  I once met a Thai guy at a chamber of commerce lunch who had the master franchise for one of the international courier cos.

Agree 100%

The Customs Dept is one of the most corrupt government agencies.

I have a mate who imported a surfboard from the US. he took his freight forwarder customs agent to collect it. They drove into the bonded area in a pickup truck, loaded the board in to the back of the truck and drove out to the bonded area exit point. They stopped at the booth, took the surfboard out of the truck and leant it up against the booth in plain view. The guard then had a look over the truck and found nothing untoward, they put the board back in the truck and drove out. 

Most people never experience import customs procedures in their own countries and complain when they find out how the real world  works. 

Edited by VocalNeal

I will try and condense 12 days of utter frustration & anger into as short as possible but coherent post.

As previously stated I bought a watch from the manufacturer in the UK, it cost approximately £2000, so Appx 90,000 Baht, that was including a special discount from the makers for the military & ex military people that were entitled to buy it. It also included 7% vat and Thai duties & shipping via FedEx.

The 5% duty was £84.79, the 7% vat was £124.64, shipping £40.00

It was despatched from the UK and arrived in swampy airport customs on 29th Sept, that was when the frustration & anger began, it didn't take long for a "FedEx" agent to call me, firstly the wanted a colour photograph of my passport main page & the invoice from the manufacturer, did that.

They then sent a form all in Thai with my details already inserted that I had to sign 3 times, I got that printed, signed & sent back. Fortunately my mrs read it and confirmed it was okay to sign.

Next, the agents wanted my actual real passport, plus 5 different pages copied 5 times, I got that done and the sent a guy in a FedEx uniform driving a TNT van to collect it all. My passport was delivered back Intact within 2 days, I still wasn't happy though, and I wasn't about to try and get to swampy customs, their visiting hours are also very restrictive.

Next I got told that although customs now had a copy of the invoice from Bremont that they still weren't happy as they had looked on the internet and that model of watch was more expensive than I said I had paid, I told the agent to remind them that I had bought the watch from the manufacturer at a special discount for ex military personnel of that particular trade.

The next request was for a copy of my private bank account showing the money leaving my bank account and paying Bremont via my UK debit card. I did that although again under protest.

In the meantime I had a call from the manufacturer as they could see that 11 days later the watch had still not been delivered, I related all the above and they were horrified, bearing in mind that they have 5 or 6 outlets in Bangkok, the nice lady from Bremont called me back a while later and told me that their logistics manager was talking to the FedEx people in the UK to try and sort the problem.

The following morning I called the agent, I was dealing with 2, a male & female, the male appeared to be the one interacting with customs, the female was office bound, I told him that the manufacturer & FedEx UK were in discussions and he could expect a call to explain the problem as the manufacturer was used to exporting to Thailand & all duties and taxes had been pre paid.

That was a Friday morning, at 16.00 hrs that afternoon I had a call from the female in the office that my watch would be delivered on Monday, and it was, no extra charges nothing.

Do I think FedEx & TNT work hand in hand with customs ? Yes I do, do I think corruption is involved ? Yes I do, last word on this, the manufacturer emailed me to say that they were reconsidering their position in Thailand.

On 10/18/2021 at 9:07 PM, Golden Triangle said:

I will try and condense 12 days of utter frustration & anger into as short as possible but coherent post.

As previously stated I bought a watch from the manufacturer in the UK, it cost approximately £2000, so Appx 90,000 Baht, that was including a special discount from the makers for the military & ex military people that were entitled to buy it. It also included 7% vat and Thai duties & shipping via FedEx.

The 5% duty was £84.79, the 7% vat was £124.64, shipping £40.00

It was despatched from the UK and arrived in swampy airport customs on 29th Sept, that was when the frustration & anger began, it didn't take long for a "FedEx" agent to call me, firstly the wanted a colour photograph of my passport main page & the invoice from the manufacturer, did that.

They then sent a form all in Thai with my details already inserted that I had to sign 3 times, I got that printed, signed & sent back. Fortunately my mrs read it and confirmed it was okay to sign.

Next, the agents wanted my actual real passport, plus 5 different pages copied 5 times, I got that done and the sent a guy in a FedEx uniform driving a TNT van to collect it all. My passport was delivered back Intact within 2 days, I still wasn't happy though, and I wasn't about to try and get to swampy customs, their visiting hours are also very restrictive.

Next I got told that although customs now had a copy of the invoice from Bremont that they still weren't happy as they had looked on the internet and that model of watch was more expensive than I said I had paid, I told the agent to remind them that I had bought the watch from the manufacturer at a special discount for ex military personnel of that particular trade.

The next request was for a copy of my private bank account showing the money leaving my bank account and paying Bremont via my UK debit card. I did that although again under protest.

In the meantime I had a call from the manufacturer as they could see that 11 days later the watch had still not been delivered, I related all the above and they were horrified, bearing in mind that they have 5 or 6 outlets in Bangkok, the nice lady from Bremont called me back a while later and told me that their logistics manager was talking to the FedEx people in the UK to try and sort the problem.

The following morning I called the agent, I was dealing with 2, a male & female, the male appeared to be the one interacting with customs, the female was office bound, I told him that the manufacturer & FedEx UK were in discussions and he could expect a call to explain the problem as the manufacturer was used to exporting to Thailand & all duties and taxes had been pre paid.

That was a Friday morning, at 16.00 hrs that afternoon I had a call from the female in the office that my watch would be delivered on Monday, and it was, no extra charges nothing.

Do I think FedEx & TNT work hand in hand with customs ? Yes I do, do I think corruption is involved ? Yes I do, last word on this, the manufacturer emailed me to say that they were reconsidering their position in Thailand.

nuts.. better fly and wear it yourself....